Passive Restraint

92stockbird

Hey Guys,

Replaced the door striker plastic around the bolt on the door striker. The passenger seat belt moves when the door is closed. The driver door won't. The door is closed. I pushed it with my hip, and it won't close any further.
What makes the restraint move? Is it something in the door mechanism, or is it somewhere else?

Thank you,
Jim

John3:16

Hey Guys,

Replaced the door striker plastic around the bolt on the door striker. The passenger seat belt moves when the door is closed. The driver door won't. The door is closed. I pushed it with my hip, and it won't close any further.
What makes the restraint move? Is it something in the door mechanism, or is it somewhere else?

Thank you,
Jim

John3:16

Jim:
There's a module that controls the passenger system thats in the trunk. If one side moves but the other doesn't it's very likely that the module is OK.

The car knows to actuate the belt system because of the button that's on the A-pillar (near the hinges). If you push it in, does the automatic seatbelt move? I'm willing to bet the issue is here with the alignment of the door to this button.

If you push the button and you hear the motor whirring but the seatbelt doesn't move, you've likely busted the rubber track.
If you don't hear the motor, well, it could be busted.

I have spare motors and inner rubber tracks if you need them -- just PM me.
-g

There is another switch that is activated by the door catch mechanism that grabs hold of B pillar striker post....

It is located just inside the door next to the catch mechanism....

You can try adjusting it, or you can adjust the door striker a bit and see if that helps....

Did the belt work before you messed with the door striker? Per the service manual you can check your switches at the passive restraint module harness in the trunk. Check for continuity in the following scenarios...

The door switch is supposed to be closed when the door is closed and open when the door is open. drivers side pins 13 and 24 passenger side 8 and 24

The A pillar limit should be open when the belt is all the way at the A pillar and closed if the belt is anywhere else. drivers side pins 5 and 24 passenger side 23 and 24

The B pillar limit should be open when the belt is all the way at the B pillar and closed if the belt is anywhere else. drivers side pins 18 and 24 passenger side 21 and 24

From there it is just simple debugging. if you fail one of those test, take the interior panels off and test the switch itself. test the motor to make sure it gets voltage when it should. etc...

Good luck, hope this helps.

Passive restraint

Thank you for the advice. Ultimately ended up removing the bushing on the striker. The diameter was wrong. Do these door bolts have a bushing on them? If so where di I get them? The ap stores only carry a two sizes fits most.

Thank you,
Jim

John 3:16

Back