Reel me back in boys....

fastsc92

Well after a very very long vacation from the SC world...I'm on the fence in taking the plunge back into this hobby.

Long story short, over the past 8 years between the car getting into my accident, grad school, engagement, buying a house, getting married, changing jobs, etc., I just never had time or the motivation to get into it again.

I took up street bikes and have been racing these on trackday events over the past few years. There is nothing like leaning the bike over and dragging your knee at high speeds on the track, but unfortunetly those "thrill" oppurtinities are only available safely on a closed course. 95% of the season, I find the bike sitting in the garage, on stands, with a battery tender...

The wife would rather see the bike go anyhow (it scares the $h!t out of her when I race it...). I'd love to do both, but it doesn't make sense since the seasons overlap, and then I wouldn't have time to do either. Anyhow, I've pretty much decided to sell the bike and all my race gear and get back into drag racing. Its just far easier to pop up to the track on street nights and make a few passes after work. I've committed to buying a new enclosed trailer so whatever I decide to get will be 90% track, 10% street use.

He's my dilema....I'm on the fence whether to find another SC and transfer my parts into it/build another motor......or find another platform (most likely a mustang) and go the V8 route (prob 347-393 twin turbo...).

The two paths are clearly different. It's a fairly straight forward process to get a mustang into the low 10's. Doing that with a SC....well, not so much. I have A LOT of custom and performance parts on the SC and it would make getting back into the hobby much less painful on the wallet.

The most challenging part for me has been finding a solid donor car. Getting a clean, solid 92-93 non-sunroof car (roller or complete) has been extremely challenging for me at a reasonable price.

Anyhow...I'm looking for some helpful (hopefully un-biased) feedback to either push me in one direction or the other.

I have similar goal for my car. I'd like to drive my v6 into 10sec et. Shooting for 6.80's since I only have 1.8th local to me.

My setup is as follows... 03 mustang 3400 w/driver, scu 4.3l(turn key), splitport heads worked by scu, comp roller, comp valvetrain, #60lb injectors, dual 255 pumps, 4r70w j-modded, edge racing 3600 converter, 6262 pte turbo, stock mustang headers flipped, custom 2.5" crossover, 3" exhaust, 275 drag radial, 373 gears, 7.5" rear end, moser 28s hardened axles, Detroit ratchet locker, eibach drag springs both rears bagged, tubular lower arms, adjustable tubular uppers, sct live wire, sct proracer, Dell laptop, lc-1, boost gauge, tial 38mm gate, vibrant fmic, grimmspeed mbc. Hopefully it will run the number.

I have a ~~~~ ton of tools, a garage, and I did all of the work myself except build the motor. for this I wanted someone who was fimilar with these engines to put it together so I hired out for this task.

I suggest a tubular k for a track car and will probably be my next big mod. Frees up a ton of room in the engine bay and makes it sooo much easier to work on when you are doing work under the car.

Last edited:
is your goal a 10 second track car for cheap? then go with a mustang, as you will be starting with a lighter car with more available aftermarket parts.

If you are like me, you hate mustangs. not because they are not good cars, but because ...(read my tag line)... I plan on daily driving my SC when the weather is cool enough again. I love the sc interior, even if it is 24 years old and doesn't have a cup holder. I have hated all three of the mustangs that I owned because the interior is just too cheap and rattles. But if you are making a 100% drag car, then that type of stuff doesn't matter anyways.

good luck!

There are a few V6 supercharged SC's that have been close to the 10's and a couple that are in the tens and still streetable. With your skills and a donor car any old thunderbird can be made into a fast SC,,,the shells are not unique so any decent body would do...Here in the south a straight, rust free body is a dime a dozen...I've bought a couple running vehicles in the $600 range including my current 89 SC....Good luck with your choice and glad to see you back. Come to the shootout this year and be amazed...that ought to get the fire in the belly started......Dan

http://lexington.craigslist.org/ctd/3944835060.html

http://tricities.craigslist.org/cto/3974717178.html

Last edited:
I'm going to say if this is primarily a track car for drag racing, don't get an SC because it is heavy and difficult/expensive to make very fast, and don't get a mustang because everyone and their brother has one. I would say look for either a fox body tbird (or any fox platform car that is not a mustang) because then all the mustang parts will bolt on, but you still have something unique, or look for a Ford Maverick since they are lightweight, cheap, cool looking, and you can fit a small-block ford under the hood.

If looking to build a track only car, this might interest you. BTW, I think the price has been reduced from what is in the ad.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130538

David

It looks interesting, however I think the price doesn't fit what you're getting. Add to the fact that the paint would definitely have to change, pushes it outside my scope.

Anyhow, right now I'm pursuing sticking with the SC. Once I find a good roller, my current driveline will go in there temporarily. That will satisfy the need by running low 12's/high 11's.

In the meantime, I'll have to get in contact with Dave and inquire about building a 4.3l rotating assy and get some heads to match. I'll take on building a whipple kit for it, but I need to put the horse before the carriage.

The good news is that I've already got a 85mm MAF, 85mm TB, 63lb injectors (prob. step up to 83lb), 4" intake, huge front mount, 1 3/4" long tubes, 3.5" exhaust, niturou kit, etc etc. It just makes it much easier to transition back into the t-bird scene.

Needless to say, it's beginning to feel good getting back into the game. Now on to find the perfect roller....;)

Why do you want a 92 specifically? I have a decent 92 roller here if you want it. It's a rust free red car.

Why do you want a 92 specifically? I have a decent 92 roller here if you want it. It's a rust free red car.

I'm more interested in a non-sunroof car than anything else.

Aside from that....I do agree with your comment regarding big-block (or any v8) vs. a 6cy. While it might not be the simplest route, it always made my car stand out from the rest, and I got a lot of curious people track me down in the pits just to find out what I was using for a drivetrain.

Last edited:
It's non sunroof. It's even a 5spd. Original paint far as I can tell. No significant body damage but the paint is shot.

Heck, just remembered. I have a pretty nice 93 5spd here too. Non sunroof, it's even black.

Both cars need paint.

If you want to scratch the itch we'll need to meet up at NED in the next couple of weeks and see if my car will run in the 10s again.

If you want to scratch the itch we'll need to meet up at NED in the next couple of weeks and see if my car will run in the 10s again.

I've been up there a few times over the past week or so. Before then, I haven't been there for at least 3 years. I only live 30min away so i don't really have an excuse not to stop in more often.

Give me a shout when you make plans to head up and I'll meet you there. Maybe we can drag Ricardo out too.

One 90 just popped in the classifieds. Has a roll bar and all. Maybe this will be it....
I should be getting my blower stuff for my sc this week. I'd like to get it going for my upcoming vacation next week. If Jay helps me tune it. NED sounds good for Friday night.

Lets talk Jay need to get this prototype M90 to show some results. Need to move onto my blue car.

The following Friday was my thought. I can't get the parts installed till these weekend. Not even sure if they will even arrive by then.

Fri 16th Brian?

I host my company summer picnic at the house every year and it is on Saturday the 17th....Jennifer would kill me if I tried to hit the track on the 16th.

I say get back into teh SC so you finish building some of those what do you call em. You can make an SC into a nice comfortable driver...STang..Ehh not so much..And I got me one of those too

Back