Air conditioner problem

92stockbird

The ac was working. Blowing good n cold. January, the blower motor slowed.
May, the blower motor quit. Do you know what causes the blower motor to quit working? Gonna want heat this winter.

Also, do you know where I can get door hinges?

Thank you,
Jim

John 3:16

Blower motors go bad. Usually they first start getting weak like you noticed. Then they just stop. Just get a replacement at a Pick and Pull.

For the blower, I would first check the blower motor resistor pack. (It bolts into the air box under the dash, near the motor itself.) That should still be available new.

The motor could be bad, but I wouldn't bet on it. Even if it is, it's probably repairable. Bushings and brushes, easy enough.

As for the door hinges, I don't think you can get a new door hinge except for NOS parts. Try a Ford dealer if you need one. If all you need are hinge pins and bushings, those are available from Dorman at almost any parts store. I think I have used part 38410 a couple times, but there may be another that has slightly more accurate dimensions for our cars. Use the part lookup on Dorman Products' website to check.

If the bronze bushings cracked and the pin ate into the steel hinge, you have a minor problem, as a new bushing will deform in the unsupported area and fail sooner than it otherwise would. You could probably fill any gap with a reinforced epoxy. Best way would be to weld and re-drill, though that would be hard to do safely in place.

The upper hinge is the one that gets the most wear, and it's a pain to remove. That's why I am mentioning alternatives.

Back