opinions on my pending purchase!!!!!

JeremyT1986

Hey everyone!
Just registered this morning... I have been wanting a SC for many many years since I was in middle school really and now I have finally found one that I have set my heart on! I had been following it on my local craigslist for nearly 2 months and it started out with a 4k asking price. Now he has come down to 2k! and I have now wiggled into a phone deal at 1,750! I will be going to drive and look the car over tomorrow and will have the cash in hand. Here are a few pictures of the car for you guys to see what I have seen so far. Its a white 1990 SC with 120k miles. He said everything electric is working and the only issue is the ABS is inop. Good a/c and everything is stock except for an aftermarket cd player... I really hope this is the one for me, do you guys see anything that jumps put from the pictures?? Anything in particular for me to look for when I arrive tomorrow? Any input will be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks,
Jeremy Tolar

Attachments

• Super coupe.jpg
    Super coupe.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Super coupe 2.jpg
    Super coupe 2.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Super coupe 3.jpg
    Super coupe 3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Super coupe 4.jpg
    Super coupe 4.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Super coupe 5.jpg
    Super coupe 5.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 92
Very nice looking SC. The only thing that concerns me is when he says the ABS isn't working, what exactly does he mean. These cars have an ABS unit and brake booster together in one, and if the booster part is not working, then you typically have to replace the entire ABS unit, which is expensive and a ~~~~. It still may be worth it, even if it does need the whole unit, but if you drive the car and the brake pedal is hard as a rock and the car barely stops, just know that you'll have to find one of those and change it out before you can drive the car. If you drive it and the brakes feel normal but it just has an ABS light on, then I would absolutely buy that car.

Looks to be in real good shape. I wouldnt be too worried about the ABS light. I am sure some more experienced sc technicians can comment on that one. What part of the Country is it from. I would ask the questions to get its history:
How many owners?
How long as this guy had it?
Why is he selling it?

My only concern is why someone would go less than half his original advertised price. He may just be looking to unload it or something recently may have developed from when he first advertise it.
Definitely look under the car and see if there is any rust conditions?
See how much boost it is getting at wide open throttle.

For that price I still think it is a great deal. The interior looks real clean. Good luck and keep us posted.

Yeah its a 1 owner and the guy got it for his college graduation present. He is now in his mid forties and just has no more time for it.. It was garage kept until two years ago when the garage was taken over by the wifes boxes of "junk" he said and he doesnt want to see it go to waste sitting outside in the elements now. I did call him and he assured me that the brakes work just fine - he said it was a sensor issue. He also has lots of dealer reciepts all service done at the local ford dealer and even the window sticker from when it was new! It has one of the cleanest interiors I have ever seen in a 23 year old car and I have much newer ones that look way worse. He did tell me that the hood was aftermarket and he added the rear spoiler too years ago when that was the "look" lol.

Attachments

• SUper coupe 8.jpg
    SUper coupe 8.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 43
Yeah its a 1 owner and the guy got it for his college graduation present. He is now in his mid forties and just has no more time for it.. It was garage kept until two years ago when the garage was taken over by the wifes boxes of "junk" he said and he doesnt want to see it go to waste sitting outside in the elements now. I did call him and he assured me that the brakes work just fine - he said it was a sensor issue. He also has lots of dealer reciepts all service done at the local ford dealer and even the window sticker from when it was new! It has one of the cleanest interiors I have ever seen in a 23 year old car and I have much newer ones that look way worse. He did tell me that the hood was aftermarket and he added the rear spoiler too years ago when that was the "look" lol.

If its a one owner car and you believe his story and the car checks out. Pull the damn trigger.. Its a no brainer... lol You wont be disappointing. As a recent first SC owner I have really fell head over heals in love with the car since I have had the chance to really drive her...

These cars can be expensive maintenance wise so don't be too naive going in. Keep or start building some savings instead of blowing all your cash on the car. It will be tempting to mod this and that or to beat on it from time to time but just remember it's a 20+ year old car and its going to need money spent on it.

If you keep that in mind and look after it it's a super nice car and you'll love the privilege of owning it. I know you haven't quite bought it yet, but I say GO FOR IT! Lovely car. Sounds like the perfect situation too. There are lots of people who have given a lot of "love" to their SC's over the years but now have to let them go for one reason or another. I think this sounds like the perfect car for you. I hope you get it and I think you'll enjoy owning it.

It's a bargin at twice the price! The prices on these cars are so low now it's silly. Drive her and she will tell you a story! If the brakes work buy it!

And enjoy!

brakes

There's a pretty good thread on this forum regarding swapping the abs system to a conventional system. Nothing was wrong with my abs but I did the swap as a precaution since my engine was out...but from what I hear it can be done with the engine in place....just got to be pretty handy

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your input guys! I really appreciate the advice. There was alot some of you said that I had not considered like starting a savings stash for the parts that go out. I did alot of reading today on the forum and learned alot about things to check for on these cars. I will def be doing a boost leak test, and will aslo be keeping a sharp eye on lower panel rust and rot -hopefully not an issue since its a southern car. Also some other stuff I will look at will be suspension parts and the adjustable shocks to see if they still work or not, and fingers crossed on that brake booster not being bad... I really hope this is the car for me - it will be my second supercharged car, the first being a Buick Riviera (2 ton battleship). If it turns out to be a pig in a poke, I guess the search will reluctantly continue. You guys are right about the rarity of still being able to find a non-roasted SC that is still in good nick.
Thanks again!!!

Back