Xr7 Died while driving.

How bad was it to remove the old EEC - if, as you said, someone had been in there before, most of the work may have already been done?
It was rather easy....all panels had their fasteners so maybe no one has even, but with all the finger prints on the board it sure looked like it had been open.

Did you lift the carpets to see if the harnesses on the floor have suffered?
They appeared to be fine, but I didn't check them extremely good.

Did you check the slow fuse for the EEC in the PCB?
. If your talking about the fuse block by the battery? There isn't a fuse for the EEC. It says "no fuse for sc engines". I couldn't find a fuse anywhere for the EEC.

Did you look underneath/inside the PCB for corrosion?

I looked inside and checked fuses. They were all good. I didn't see any corrosion or anything that looked out of the ordinary.

By the way, the "smelly cat" odor could be a sign of leaking electrolytic capacitors. Did you spot anything like that on the EEC board? If so, can you post a pic?

By the way, the "smelly cat" odor could be a sign of leaking electrolytic capacitors. Did you spot anything like that on the EEC board? If so, can you post a pic?

I'll try to post a pic...prob won't be Til tomorrow. So far the new(reman) EEC is working great! Starts up and runs great! Hopefully it will stay this way!

So far so good. Drove 100ish miles this morning and no problems. I didnt see any capacitors leaking. Only thing I saw was a couple of glass fuse looking things on the board, a couple looked internally burnt.
The new computer even got rid of the slight miss at idle I had.

Last edited:
Good. So you didn't need a Ford test harness, nor a factory EVTM, nor did you need a 17 hour diagnostic test with Fluke meters, Rotunda harnesses, nor did you need to bench test the IRCM afterall.

What I and a few others recommended was, in fact, the problem. :cool:

There are some people in the world who cant boil an egg without having to read a cookbook line-by-line every time. :rolleyes:

You won't need to rely on hope regarding your repair. ;)

Last edited:
Good. So you didn't need a Ford test harness, nor a factory EVTM, nor did you need a 17 hour diagnostic test with Fluke meters, Rotunda harnesses, nor did you need to bench test the IRCM either

No I didn't. I figure if you figure out what's working what and what all should work with certain components than you should figure out how to atleast get a rough idea as to what was wrong. I guess process of elimination is what that would be.
I do wish I had an EVTM tho, but I'm to cheap to buy one....atleast for now.

Since everything worked on my car except fuel injector pulse I figure it had to be the EEC once I was told that the EEC is the only responsible thing for injector pulse.

So far 500 miles and doing great. Not one problem....except a lower radiator hose blew out.....but....it happens.

i got an evtm for $12 shipped on ebay a couple weeks ago. i know you are not that cheap... nobody is!!!

I was drivin to work today and my 90 xr7 just died. It won't restart. It just cranks. No up shift light or anything. It's never done this before, it has always ran.
I'm at work and can't look at it, but what are some things that usually cause this.
I'm thinking, can posotion sensor but with not up shift light maybe not, crank position sensor, DIS, coil, or ignition switch(just replaced two days ago)

my 90 did the same thing it was the ircm integrated control module has eec power relay fan relay and controls fuel pump relay first thing hook up a tested to the obd 1 port if you have or can borrow? if it won't go into self test? its not getting eec powe or ecm took a crap.

my 90 did the same thing it was the ircm integrated control module has eec power relay fan relay and controls fuel pump relay first thing hook up a tested to the obd 1 port if you have or can borrow? if it won't go into self test? its not getting eec powe or ecm took a crap.

He fixed it 7 years ago by replacing the EEC.

Back