Soft sticky tires

The best set of tires I've ever had on my SC as far as ride, keeping balance, life, and luck were a set of Cooper Lifeliners. Not that they are a performance tire by any means - just saying they are good stuff. Much better than some of the other well-known brands out there.

Have always run nitto. nt555's makes a great compound that's not all that bad in winter, although I would not use these tires in the snow. Now run the nt05r and it's strictly summer tire.

Ira,

Same was true back when it was only making 250 at the wheels.

David

You know that's true. Thinking about it now I have the same problem with the '94 when I get into it. I realized that I generally don't do that much anymore so you tend to forget how quick these cars resond when asked to.

Ira

Since we're on the topic, I just replaced a pair of Nitto NT555's with a pair of Cooper RS3-A's on the front of my Mustang. The RS3-A's sidewall is noticeably softer (took a couple days to get used to). I can't speak as to any difference in traction, as the car only really sees nice weather and highway miles. The intention for the switch is that they'll last longer than the NT555's (34k miles), but it'll be a few years before there's a verdict. My opinion: They're a pretty decent appearing, inexpensive, all-season tire. It just takes a day or two to get used to the sidewall if you're coming from something with a stiffer sidewall.

Rod, where are feeling the biggest difference? Traction, firmness of ride, handling, all of the above?? And I have never run drag radials so I have nothing to compare to.

Ira

The general uhp grabber in 255/55r16 were great but sadly got discontinued. They are a bit on the soft side but I have never had a tire perform that well in the rain. At half tread wear they are not nearly as good but when new they stick well and drive well. Last I looked tirerack had a few left. I do not suggest use of that size on the front they are dangerously close to the knuckle.
Alan

I have Goodyear eagle RSA 225's on the back of my SC right now[I only have suspension mods on the car]. In my opinion they offer good traction but still let you break'em loose when you want to have a bit of fun.

Iv've ran them on a couple cars in the past, good tire for the money if your running a car with similar power that the SC's produce. I have F1's on my new charger with the 3.6L pentestar v6 which is like 290hp and they're almost too "grippy". I'm pretty dissapointed with the performance of the charger In almost every way overall though.

I think you'll find that there really aren't any true performance tires with a 60-series sidewall these days. With that said, the lowest wear rating (very crude way of rating grip, lower will be better) in the stock size is the Goodyear RS-A at 260 UTQG.

I have found that my bird likes BFG G-Force Comp 2's...255/50R16 on stock wheels. I personally like the look, and it hooks fantastically. Now that I won't be driving the car over the winter, i am happy i made the decision.

However, as with anything really, tires are a matter of personal preference; and finding a "high performance" all season tire comes with side effects based on weather conditions.

Tom

I know this is a old post. but I love me riken raptor's for a street summer tire. they have done well for me at the track. when I was running mid 14's it was pulling 2.0 6fts.

Rod, where are feeling the biggest difference? Traction, firmness of ride, handling, all of the above?? And I have never run drag radials so I have nothing to compare to.

Ira

Sorry Ira, I didn't see your question until now. The noticeable difference between the Nitto NT555 (not the NT555R drag radial) and the Cooper RS3-A's (also not a drag radial) is the ride and turn-in response. The Coopers just feel softer, which is nice on sharp bumps but took a little getting used to when turning. I've put 4k miles on them thus far, and I'm still happy with them. Like I said above though, this car only sees commuter duty on the highway to and from work and only during nice weather.

Thanks Rod. Since I won't be making any changes until the Spring there was no rush on the reply, and you really have to appreciate a man who takes his time and contemplates his opinion before giving it.

I hope you didn't chew through too many toothpicks ;) :p

Ira

Back