Bad batch of Moates quarterhorse chips

davec73

SCCoA Member
I went out last night to smoke test my car and recalibrate the wideband 02. when I turned the key on for the recalibration of the guage the fan and fuel pump cam on and stayed running. After I buttoned everything back up I opened up BE and looked at the configuration and it had a bunch of symbols and useless junk in tune slots 2 through 8, the tune was showing up in slot 1 but nobody was home. I reloaded the tune and turned the key on and everything seemed fine. I went to check it today and the fan and fuel pump came on and stayed on again! Called around a bit and then called moates, if you look on there page they have a special line item for returns in the product listings on the left or RMA. Turns out there was a bad batch of QH chips that have a bad circuit in them somewhere that drains the battery and the chip is bad, you have to go through the rma process and return the chip and they send you out a new one. So If your chip is loosing the tune and has any of these symptoms I would call moates and see if yours is one of the faulty ones, the only way they know is the symptoms of what it is doing.

David

I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago with my QH, Moates was good to work with on getting replacement.

I had the same thing happen about 3 years ago with my QH, Moates was good to work with on getting replacement.

Chris said you had this happen and I was going to call you but I just called moates tech and he said "stop right there there was a bad batch of chips that do this" then he proceeded to tell me how to return it. Thing that sucks is I definitely wont be able to drive my car much more before the shootout but I am wondering if this could have caused other problems as well.

Yes, thank you very much! I have not had any problems with my QH, but I will stay on the lookout for anything like this!

Mine was fine or seemed so and boom, bad. Guess I'm lucky it happened a month before the shootout could be worse I guess.

It was fine until you drained the on board battery. Once that happens the tunes disappear.

Well kind of, I'm beginning to wonder since the circuitry of the chip was causing the onboard battery to drain if it was acting as it should or not

That's were the mystery hp went. Ahhh.
We all wish.

You might be talking or thinking that's what I was thinking, but that's not at all the case. I am talking about the rich condition my car has in the idle circuit or some of the other weird stuff that's going on, that is there sometimes and all the sudden its fine. Afr, lambse everything checks out but the car is fouling plugs and 02s at idle:confused: At the shootout the dyno will tell all Rico the car is mostly sorted out with the issues I had when it was on the dyno last time. It just sucks that every time I think im out of the woods stuff like this happens. Are you bringing your anny? I will be happy to line up with you if you do.

I got the same problem. Got my QH 16 months ago. But I Will try and change the battery in the QH first beacuse I live in Sweden so shipping would take awhile. Maybe you should try change the battery in the chip top davec? I mean it had keept the tune a Long time. Worth giving it a try before sending it away. :)

I got the same problem. Got my QH 16 months ago. But I Will try and change the battery in the QH first beacuse I live in Sweden so shipping would take awhile. Maybe you should try change the battery in the chip top davec? I mean it had keept the tune a Long time. Worth giving it a try before sending it away. :)

It won't help the chip has a bad circuit and will continue to drain itself. In additional if you change the battery yourself I believe it voided the warranty

Are you sure the warranty will be affected if I change the battery? I mean it have lasted for 16 months for me, maybe the bad circuit in the chip begun some days ago, if thats the case it won't help...

I'd think the battery should last 10 years.
Yes they will void the warranty if you change the battery yourself.

Are you sure the warranty will be affected if I change the battery? I mean it have lasted for 16 months for me, maybe the bad circuit in the chip begun some days ago, if thats the case it won't help...

Just like I said it will void your warranty. The battery is supposed to last around 10 years and my chip is probably right about the same age as yours. They gave me two options 1. Fill out the rma form and pay shipping to return it, they inspect it and send out a new one 2. buy a new chip and waite for it to arrive then fill out the rma for the bad chip and send it in and they will refund you.

Has Moates supplied a time frame or serial # reference for the bad chips.

Mine is probably 2 yrs old and is not installed nor loaded.

But loading of base tune may take place in the next 6 wks.

Paul

Back