Back from shootout

Micahdogg

Tonya and I made it home around 9pm last night. The car ran to and from the shootout just fine -averaging about 18.5 mpg. Thanks to Rico and Chris for adjusting the tune on my car until the wee hours on Friday night. And big thanks to Chris for showing me the ins and outs of qh and how to datalog. It's nice to not be flying blind anymore.

No racing for me this year, but got on the dyno and made 360 RWHP. That didn't make much sense until looking at the logs. The first pass was aborted due to my tire rubbing on the strap. After getting situated again, the intercooler was getting heat soaked and ended up pulling timing. I make peak HP at 6700 rpm - what we got was a couple 6300 rpm pulls with 17.5 degrees timing. It also appears the dyno was a natural dream crusher which probably didn't help. On the street it's fine.

It was good to see everyone and yall did a bangup job as always.

Glad to hear your car held up well for the shootout. Sounds like it was worth going just to get the QH tips :)

I expect 400rwhp next year.

I have never dyno'ed a car. Are all dyno's "equal". If you have two different dyno's next to each other from different manufacturers would they yield the same results???

Different brands read different. If you have a local dyno, use it before and after mods for as close to an honest comparison as you can get. If you use a Mustang dyno to baseline and then a dynojet to see how your mods worked, you aren't getting accurate results and you'll either say "whoa these made a huge difference" or "man I lost power ~~~?"

No, dyno's aren't equal. And even if they were, the conditions you dyno in would be different (conditions of the car and environment.)

When this combo was first put together, it produced 422 RWHP on a Dynojet in St. Charles MO. One month later it produced 433 RWHP on a Dynojet in Xenia OH. The responsible thing would be average those numbers and tout 427 as realistic RWHP number.

Knowing that, I was going to be happy to see 400 (or thereabout) at the wheels on this particular dyno considering all the grumbling. 40HP less was alarming, but like I said, it was accounted for in the loss of about 7 degrees of timing. Basically, the car could use Meth Injection.

I have never dyno'ed a car. Are all dyno's "equal". If you have two different dyno's next to each other from different manufacturers would they yield the same results???

Not likely, and as noted, it's best to perform basic averaging across multiple runs, in that example. Good news is there are many metrics available when testing that help you decide. Ambient temp, humidity etc. in addition to what's learned during each pull.

Just my opinion, but portable dynos may fluctuate more than shop-based units. In that case, portables should only be used to judge various vehicles against each other on a given day.

Every time I've dynoed its been different and I'm not real happy with the results I got this year w the exception of 400+ tq. I am going twin screw this year and I'm going to get the rest of my bugs worked out. Micah as always it was great to see you and Tonya and I'm glad you came out, its people like you that keep me striving for more! I had to head home because my baby girl had a bad ear infection but she is fine and I made it home safe around noon yesterday. See you all soon I hope!
David

Micah, your car is sick, as in sweet. Nuff said.

I'll have my shootout summary soon, which also entails some excuse bs explaining. Micah It was my pleasure, I hope you enjoyed the car more on the way back, I also forgot why I love these mules and after 26 hours of driving them I was assured why. My car now looks like a madmax mobile, but was way fun.

Back