Top 10 things I learned at the 2013 SC Shootout...

XR7 Dave

Top 10 things I learned at the 2013 SC Shootout....

• 10. Flippy Cup is officially more popular at the Shootout than burnouts.
  • 9. Kurt Sunday is no longer the wildest and craziest lunatic at the event. I'd like to introduce you to Jacob Royer.
  • 8. Bill Evanoff is a good sport.
  • 7. Kurt Sunday will always be a step ahead of Rich Bruhn.
  • 6. Having "Track Champ" on your license plate doesn't automatically mean you will be "Track Champ".
  • 5. Being "Track Champ" is more than just an honor, it's a responsibility!
  • 4. When your SC will light the tires @ 100mph, that doesn't mean you are fast, it means something is wrong!
  • 3. You can beat Autorotors with an M90.
  • 2. Brian Oatway is too cool to work on his own car at the Shootout.
  • 1. The Shootout crew is Awesome!

Top 10 things I learned at the 2013 SC Shootout....

• 10. Flippy Cup is officially more popular at the Shootout than burnouts.
Urban Dictionary says this about that…

flippy cup
A drinking game: Two teams of 4 or 5 people line up on opposite sides of a table. Each team member has a cup of beer. When the game begins, the first person on each side must chug his or her beer, and then place the cup on the edge of the table and flick the cup so it flips upside down. If the cup doesn't land upside down, the person must keep trying until successfully flipping, at which point the next person in line on their team may drink and flip. The first team to reach the end of the line wins the game. Mostly played by freshman college women and guys who are trying to get into their pants.
"That hot girl over there just challenged us to a game of flippy cup, lets go get them drunk!"

1. Jacob Royer really does like pink
2. This crew knows how to put an event together
3. Your power steering pulley can and will just fall off when it wants
4. All oil pressure sending units are not created equal
5. Rico can drive an so so tuned car 26 hrs round trip and make it home even after hsving truck tires thrown at it
6. There were no bats or cheese cubes to chuck at them.
7. Not having to work on your car the whole time is a lot more fun
8. Chris vinning is a heck of a guy and knows how to tune a car or many of them
9. Ken wagner never ceases to amaze us
10. Going to the shootout can get things that have driven you crazy for a year worked out in hrs. Everyone that goes contributes in one way or another and I am proud to be a part of it!

Urban Dictionary says this about that…

flippy cup
A drinking game: Two teams of 4 or 5 people line up on opposite sides of a table. Each team member has a cup of beer. When the game begins, the first person on each side must chug his or her beer, and then place the cup on the edge of the table and flick the cup so it flips upside down. If the cup doesn't land upside down, the person must keep trying until successfully flipping, at which point the next person in line on their team may drink and flip. The first team to reach the end of the line wins the game. Mostly played by freshman college women and guys who are trying to get into their pants.
"That hot girl over there just challenged us to a game of flippy cup, lets go get them drunk!"

Ever hear the song "Parking Lot Party".... that's what we do.

10. I learned to keep a fire extinguisher handy so your Thunderbird doesn't become a Firebird.

9. I learned you can change a passenger side axle in the rocks. And then 5 minutes later need to change a drivers side axle.

8. I learned how long it takes to clean a track after a freeze plug blows out and you trail antifreeze down the 1/4 mile. I also learned how long it takes to clean up tranny fluid when you blow a torque converter access plug out.

7. I learned roadside assistance takes its sweet time when you lock the keys of your Shelby GT500 in the trunk.

6. I learned Jacob Royer hates his tires and even offered to let me do burnouts in his car.

5. I learned that Shane's Z06 goes 50-120 in about 3 seconds and feels like you are being launched out of a slingshot. It also takes on-ramps like its on rails.

4. I learned you can do 360's with a passenger and a laptop and call it "tuning" and that the short snout MPX is loud as hell even on the other side of the overpass.

3. I learned that Melissa Butler's girls are going to be future SC owners. They were loving the dyno competition.

2. I learned if you bring a friend to their first SC Shootout they will be back next year with their own SC.

1. I learned there's a new Sheriff in town, and his name is Scott Bruhn.

Last edited:
1. If you buy a Canadian flag chair for ten bucks at your local Canadian tire store it will last for only two sits.
2. If you lose traction, stop... it's probably something serious.
3. if you are in a class by yourself you can still win if you only go 10 feet.
4. the alcohol content of Lime a gina is low enough that you can use it for a fire extinguisher.
5. I still don't know all the folks that helped me at the track because from where I was I could only see feet.
6. Me myself and I raced a lot on sunday.
7. You can cause a 2 hour delay and extended lunch and everyone just says "Oh well, that's racing".
8. The best part of Kilcare is the smooth clean concrete pit boxes.
9. Sally's car not only looks good, it really goes.
10. Everyone at the Shootout party's and laughs like they mean it!

I had a great time and am already looking forward to next year.
Alan

I learned that Melissa Butler's girls are going to be future SC owners. They were loving the dyno competition.

yeah Maddie (the oldest) was all ready asking to go to bunker hill friday:D

Sally's top 10

10. My husband would consider trading me for an Anniversary Edition SC.
9. David Dalke refers to breaking his sons car as a "for fun pass".
8. I should proof read T-shirts better.....sorry Alan, it's definitely one of a kind.
7. Even trophies require tools.
6. Shootout Books can be mistaken for a magazine.
5. 21 year old daughters can quickly develop love affairs with Shelby Cobras.
4. I can still be amazed by the love and beauty of these cars.
3. Brian and Jennifer are like energizer bunnies, they just keep going and going.
2. Data logging for the first time makes things a bit crazy on the starting line.
1. Losing by 2000th kinda bites, but it makes for a great race on the top end.

Don't take that the wrong way. ;) We did beat a couple 2.0 AR's in the HP department with an M90, but there was also a twin screw there that was up about 100hp from us.

There were actually 2 of us twin screws above that M90...:p

Last edited:
I learned that 440+ rwhp can go 11.90s in crappy weather and so can 375 rwhp :)

I learned that a painted hood can get some respect.

I learned that Victor plays a mean Flippy Cup

I learned that the Winchester, KY emergency room is pretty quick at Midnight on Saturday night despite the one delirious drunk that was screaming bloody murder while I was there with my my baby girl and her ear infection....I think I beat the drunk rush :)

I learned that I can load my car and all of my track stuff in about 15 minutes with a storm coming and that it takes about 45 minutes to re-arrange everything that next morning so my luggage can fit too.

I learned that I can swap all of my tires in the parking lot and put the car back on the trailer in almost the same amount of time that Neibert can do it using his fancy cordless impact :)

I learned that Brian's special cocktail sauce is awesome (and I brought a bottle home) :D

I learned that after 11 Shootouts, these things still don't get old and in fact, are more fun than should be allowed.

ten things I picked up..

10] never leave a power cord at the hotel,,it will walk.
9] flippy cup will get you drunk..
8] keys should be in your pocket, not your trunk when you close it...
7] some people will drink any ones beer if they find it in your cooler..
6] some people will pay anything for a pair of "T" shirts in a box...
5] no matter how many tools you bring you always miss one or two...
4] I can still do an axle change in 30 mins with help..even on someone else's car
3] you need SIX spark plugs to make a car run good...
2] if your license plate brags too much you may need to get a new one Kurt.
1] even a M90 can become track champ with the right trainning.... Good job Scott we are proud of you....

This is what I got out of this past week end and we all had a great time and it was good to see every one again.. Next year I will bring something to play with and then lets see what happens....Rich

Back