Fiberglass MN12 Doors

EECDOC

I've contacted John Temple about the fiberglass MN12 doors he had designed and had a small run made up back in 2005. He is willing to have another batch made up. I have interest in 3 sets as of tonight. Looking to see if anyone on this site may have an interest in these. It's probably best to have a roll bar with side bars when running these for side impact saftey. They are not cheap as the cost each is $535. If there is enough interest, I'm sure some cost savings will come with the number of doors ordered. Here is a link to an 8 year old thread when the doors were first offered.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57233&highlight=fiberglass+doors

Let me know if you have serious interest in buying a set.

Mike.......:cool:

I bought a pair of doors from the first ones that John made.
They were very nice. But I payed a lot more than the price given for this
round of built doors. Randy Baker

The $1070 per set is what I was quoted. I'm sure shipping is extra. As I told John Temple, I beleive there is a new market for these doors. He is to get back to me on timing for manufacture, and price break if any on a run of X numder of doors. Looks like there is interest in 6 or 7 sets right now. From what I was told only 3 or 4 sets were sold on the first round back in 2004-05.
Randy, I remember seeing the doors you had on display at the 2004 Shootout.

I was checking the doors out on Mike Pucketts car up in Kentucky at the 2013 Shootout. Looks like they have held up great over the years.

I will let John know the interest we have and convey any new info.

Looks like a few Birds will be losing some weight for next year.

Mike Siska.....

Last edited:
I was just thinking about these a few days ago. I highly doubt I'll be in the market real soon, but am interested.

1/10th off the 1/4mi, slightly better MPG, no more bruised shins (if you've had a T-Bird for awhile, you know what I'm talking about!) anddd....goodbye worn-out door hinges too! :cool:

Not to mention....one more reason my car would need new paint! :D

I can't fully commit at this time, but keep me in mind when pricing is finalized (any discounts for quantity thresholds?).

I have a set on my car already. They are nice, a lot lighter, don't have to worry about rust or door hinges, however it is a ton of work which most people don't think about at first. All the parts that are on your steel door are made for steel doors. The glass doors are thicker so had to do some extra work to make everything fit properly. All the holes for where everything goes had to be cut as well. Then when you get all that done, then there is fitting and lining them up properly on the car. In the end I am happy with having glass doors, but would not do all the work again if I ever take on another project car. Not trying to turn anyone off getting glass doors, just giving an idea of whats involved, or at least the experience i had with them.

I may be interested in the spring, are there any thoughts of a fiberglass dash or lightweight glass for the doors? Because I liek the stock appearance on my 97 I wonder how hard it would be to get a stock appearing fiberglass hood, has anyone ever seen one?
Alan

Last edited:
I also analyzed them upclose at the shootout. Lots of work needed to make it show quality. Its a race part and as such people should be aware. For a street car that pulls up to car shows you will not be happy, unless you spend some serious hours on them. All doable, but racers with gutted cars will be happier with the doors. I hate fiberglass hoods for this reason, major work is needed to get them to show quality, and after all that work and paint you end up with hair line cracks, things crack or get damaged from vibes or carelessness.

But they look like they will seriously aid in the weight reduction department. So two thumbs up for that.

Ricardo brings up a good point. I've never seen any fiberglass parts to be bolt up and go. Most parts require fitting and finish work to make them " show quality". Of coarse any used metal body parts for these now old cars will require the same work. These doors as far as I'm concerned are light weight race parts. How good you want them to look is up to you and your body man. Same as any glass hood I've been around.

Back