Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB rear metal brake line

WTB rear metal brake line

does anyone have a complete front to rear metal brake line for a 1990 SC with the teves II abs system

thanks
    Al.

Your best bet is to just bend up a new one. Just buy the brake line itself and the flaring tool, and take your time to match the bends.

how long of a line should I get and what size line? can I change where the bends are to route it a different way

I bend them up for the later cars as I have a set here to copy but the early cars I am not sure are the same.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyd0g View Post
    I bend them up for the later cars as I have a set here to copy but the early cars I am not sure are the same.
    Alan
    are there specs anywhere for either cars on the brakes lines

Just cut the rotted section off and bring it to the parts store and get a similar size. Rent the flaring tool. With it you can do single flair or double flair. Find an easy spot on the car to cut it off as you will be flaring the factory line. It might take you a few tries to get the flair to seal properly with the fittings. Try to find a veteran at the parts store to show you how to do it or so a search on youtube to see it in action. Its not hard at all, just time consuming. Especially when you don't get a good seal the first time. You will need to cut and redo till you do.
    1994 Supercoupe 5spd Custom, first to buy a 2.1L Big Bore Kenne Bell Twin Screw for an SC
    Old numbers on 1.7l AR SC: 415WHP off the bottle-12.2535 @112.18 off the bottle. Best TQ to date 516ft/lbs, New numbers 480whp on dream crusher.
    1990 35th 5spd 2011 Carlisle 1st place class winner. 12.9@108MPH 1.9
    2013 GT/CS 5.0L FRPP 2.3l Whipplecharged family weekend car
    2005 SAAB 9-3 Aero 2.0L TURBO Work Mule

And I would reccomend just buying the tool instead of renting it, since it is only about $20 to buy and this way you will have it if you ever need it again.

i cut that bad section and got some new line and put it in with compression fittings. and it works great no leaks under pressure

compression fittings are not rated to handle the pressure of brakes, in many states if your car is inspected and they are found the car will be removed from the road until proper repairs are made, that is a bad choice.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ghostryder View Post
    are there specs anywhere for either cars on the brakes lines
    What do you mean by specs they are all 3/16 line, all the late cars have 10mm bubble flare connections at most points and 12mm bubble flare at others. Early cars had some different sizes.
    Alan

my 90 has 1/4 brake line

Yes that is one of the variations, 1/4 that splits to 2 -3/16 lines very common on older cars and trucks.
    Most compression fittings around here come with a warnign on the package that they are not rated for brake use, I looked up the PSI specs and the only way they could be is if they were made from stainless steel, brass will burst when you need them most.
    Alan

if you search you can find the laws on many states, I have verified new york before but in a recent search maine also has laws against compression fittings, I would assume most states do if you can find them.
    http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/vehicle...Manual_000.pdf
    page 45 section C-8
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyd0g View Post
    compression fittings are not rated to handle the pressure of brakes, in many states if your car is inspected and they are found the car will be removed from the road until proper repairs are made, that is a bad choice.
    Alan
    If not compression, what are the alternatives? Do they have to be labeled as brake line fittings?

Considering just patching my leaky line to get me through winter and then replace my leaky line.

PS...Alan...are you still bending brake lines for the later models?
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

Quote Originally Posted by CaifanSC View Post
    If not compression, what are the alternatives? Do they have to be labeled as brake line fittings?

Considering just patching my leaky line to get me through winter and then replace my leaky line.

PS...Alan...are you still bending brake lines for the later models?
    I bought a bunch of these fittings when I was fabricating my fuel rail for a splitport swap on my 3.8L N/A.
    http://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...-line-fittings

They are all SS and are fairly affordable.

I believe Alan is just trying to steer you away from the brass compression fittings you will find at Home Depot/Lowes.

-g