Cut Springs VS Lowering Springs

92SCDoughboy

Is there a huge ride and handling difference between these. IF so, what? I'm debating whether i want to switch over to lowering springs

yes, cut springs will have to much give for their size. meaning that they will most likely be too soft and you will bottom out everywhere. real lowering springs are stiffer, and keep you at the height you should be. i have the eibach 1 1/2 kit and it works great. keep the car in auto ride, and it still handles like a dream. firm isnt bad either, but a lil more bumpy

Do not cut your springs. Have you ever seen a ricer driving at 5mph and his car is just bouncing like mad?? Save up the money and go with some Eibachs, H&R, or something. Otherwise the money you saved by cutting them will be spent to replace broken parts from all that bouncing!

Thomas

well i asking because, my car had cut springs when i bought it ,and I was considering changing them to lowering springs. The thing i am worried about, is that I am not going to get the height back after i change them, my car sits pretty low. Any suggestions?

what height are you looking to regain? the lowness you have now, or regular height with lowering springs?

I'm looking to regai nthe height i have now if possible. if it has to go a tad higher (not very much though) i might go for it but depends

judging by your pictures, you dont seem to be lower than my car appears with the eibach kit, or any other cars for that matter.
take a look at other members car pics with lowering springs, may help make up your mind

Trust me, his car is lower then most lowering springs

Thats why I want him to give me his cut springs

Tazer!

Tazer,
My bird is lowered 1-1/2 inches. If you keep this up we will have to just swap cars if you like the hood!:D
dirtybirdie

Haha, well Bills is probably lowered around 2.5" or so. Thats about what I want. I don't have the money for air bags, so either cut stock springs, or cut aftermarket springs will be what I am using.

As for the hood, I will keep mine stock. We have to have one way of telling the cars apart

I have springs which have been professionally heated, compressed and recoiled to a drop of 2". It's the best thing I've done for my SC. I didn't trust "Jamex" enough to buy their product and Eibach only made a 1.5" drop....so compressed is how I went.

Compressed is different from cut. You should try to find a spring shop that can compress them for you.

H&R's bill.. they're a purty Metalic Blue :) Also the guy said well swaping the spring said `OH'yah, your car will be much lower with these' :) and i'm like `AHH CRAP not what i wanted, i already bottom out' But he was a cool guy none-the-less..

Or intrax :)

cut springs are stiffer

Contrary to the first reply, the cut springs will be stiffer.
They become stiffer when you cut off a coil because the weight is distributed over a shorter span of coils. Some people don't like the way they ride but if your looking for lower and stiffer, cut springs will do the job.

yes, all you need then is stiffer shocks, if the perches that retain the springs are stiff enough to not flex without the flat "finished" part of the spring, they should be fine

lowering

I have a set of 1.5" drop springs in my bird and I wanna go down another half an inch, how much coil should come out do u think?

Thanks
Joe

1/4 coil ... 1/2 coil for about 3/4 to 1"(rake look). If you have ST springs they sit higher on the front for some reason:rolleyes:

allright, deal with me here, clueless on dropping. I've been looking at lowering springs and price, I'd like a 2 inch drop, though my nose sits higher due to hte weight in the trunk, (tools for now, but system later equalling out about same weight). I've also found coilovers for my ride (http://www.twisteddynamics.8m.com/coilovers.html) giving me 1 1/2 drop, if what little, and I mean little, knoledge I have of coilovers, I can adjust the height correct, so I actualy adjust the back up once shes weighted down to give me the look I want, but what about the feel with coilovers, not much spring there, anybody know...... .
And now thinking about cutting the spring, how much spring do I cut, I was reading a page on a simple instruction and it seemed like even I could do it. just jack the car up, and cut, rotate cut into perch. So does that mean I dont have disassemble my suspension....., and if I do that, and someone tells me exaclty how much to cut off for 2 inch drop, grit my teeth (budget - carpenter with new baby) and get some new shocks, do I go with adjustable for the rear .....

Everyone has an opinion, but it's real simple if you just stop and think for a second, if you have x number of coils on a spring rating at y pounds per square inch, and you cut say 1 1/4 coils out, then your car is lower but your left with an increased spring rate because now your coils have less area to travel for spring compression thus increasing your spring rate. You do however, loose some of your progressive spring rate, depending upon the number of coils you cut, but any bouncy bouncy as i see some call it, are only caused by your shocks/struts. And your negative camber would still be the same rather you cut your springs for 2 inch drop or used "profesional" lowering springs. (/ \), 30 bucks to have them realigned takes care of most of that.

So with all my choices and situation for me personally, I'm cutting my springs, hopefully this weekend if I get the right response I need. (hint hint :))

I want a 2 inch drop in front, and 1 1/2 in rear (rear sags now due to trunk wieght) I need to know exactly how much coil to cut for that desired look. Someone whos done it, if you dont know exact, then say you cut 1 1/2 coil and got a 2 inch drop, then it's not difficult to guess that 1 1/4 coil cut would give a 1 3/4 drop. it's on a 94 sc. 3.8

I'm not a carpenter and havnt lowered before, but I can grasp concepts. I've been told that all I have to do is jack the front under the arm so you fully compress the spring, rent or buy some spring clamps, install them leaving the bottom couple of coils free, release jack onto jackstands off the arm to release spring compression (that way you have access without pressure to cutting) cut the desired amount of coil off the bottom (angle grinder with correct blade and friend squirting water to limit heat tranfer), rotate spring to align cut with perch (you do have to make 1 extra cut to cut the left oil coil in half to get it off),jack the arm again, release spring clamps, drop her back down and your done. its not that easy is it, just pop off a tire and begin cutting???? I need step by step instructions if you can gents. I appreciate it. hell, I'll even create a digital slideshow so you guys dont have to keep answering this for everyone.

thanks alot guys.

I'm talking about cutting the springs in place, not removing anything but the tire.

also, someone was asking about coilovers somewhere, well, twisteddynamics.8m.com/coilovers claims they have em, model dz2200co, also dropzonesuspension.com also carries lowering springs for 101 bucks, 1 1/2 lowering on both apps.

Back