New Guy here from Chicago Area

Sinist3r

I'm not a Super Coupe owner yet. I've been out of the car game (high perf) for a few years now. I've been more involved with my little ones. Well, they

are getting older and more independent, and I'm hurting for another toy. I've done the older Chevy Muscle car thing, then the Mustang thing (owned 17

of those cars, all Fox Bodys, great cars), the Honda game (wasn't for me), and even the SHO game. My plans were huge for my 1992 Ford Taurus SHO,

but once I had the wicked motor and turbo setup, I was warned that I'd be swapping the MTX 5spds in and out after they blow up. A guy in Michigan

quoted me on a Mazda cased trans with all nice internals that would hold up to a boosted SHO, but I wasn't digging the $4900 price tag to dish out that

kind of money to just run 12's (providing that SHO would hook and NOT break half shafts). It wasn't worth it, and with being unemployed and having

spent a ton of money on the project, I gladly parted with it and passed it on to someone else to deal with. Fast forward to now, I've got a great job,

kids are older, and I'm itching again for a toy. I've been contemplating another Mustang, but one can definitely say that I've been there, done that. I like

to be unique, I go for the not so typical. I thought about a Turbo Buick (Regal or Grand National), but I'm 100% a Ford guy. Why the long intro here?

Well, I figured I'd lay it out. What brought me here? It's called curiosity! I just happened to be searching autotrader last week and while looking at

Mustangs, I stumbled upon a very interesting add for a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. In the header of the add, I saw 24K original miles. So I open

the add and I saw that the Turbo Coupe had a 5.0L HO setup with a Vortech SQ blower. Behind the engine was a nicely built T-5 trans. Then I thought

about what about picking up a Super Coupe and swapping in a V8 5.0L or maybe a Terminator setup? So I do what any internet savage what do. I

searched "Super Coupe" and found this forum. So after reading a few things here and other places, apparently these Super Coupes can be pretty wicked

if built right. I've always had an eye on these cars, but being that the 3.8L had a nasty reputation of head gasket issues, I thought adding a blower to

one would be a suicide pill. I was wrong. Although there's a risk of head gasket woahs, I've seen and read about some very interesting things. Then a

friend of mine who I know has a 90 Super Coupe, that lucky guy just bought himself a turn key race car. So he has this 90' SC sitting, and offered it to

me for a killer price. I drove the car this past Saturday and I'm thinking I'm liking the idea of owning one more and more. This one has some mods too.

The body is a tad rough, but I'd iron that out. So I joined here to do some homework. I'm looking to create something that I can drive in the summer that

is wicked fast, and won't get 10 mpg. This is why I was originally looking at the turbo buick's, but the Super Coupe makes more sense to me for my next

weekend warrior. I've always been curious about these cars, and I'm thinking its time to jump into the SC circle.

Last edited:
The SC can have a 5spd(GN does not) which IMO makes the car so much fun to drive.

Handles so much better than a GN or fox body.

HG are not a problem, easy fix when building motor.......heads/cam essential

12 sec SC's are not hard to build

Welcome and good luck:D

Thanks for the welcome. I do have tons of questions. The SC that my friend owns (and offered to sell to me cheap) has an AOD that was built as a backup trans for an efi renegade Mustang that runs 9.20's in the 1/4. I drove the car in Saturday and the trans shifts like a semi truck is rear ending you. I am a 5spd lover myself, but this ones setup already. It boosts at 15psi, and has an 80mm Maf, some type of plug and play usb tuner (with a laptop and a program) and a bigger than stock cam. Its a reliable setup for the most part. The car needs a little work. I figured I try and pick this one up from him, and play around with it. I could either put more work into this one, or find another one all together. My goal is to build a somewhat reliable 11 sec street car that I can drive April through October. I do not know much about these cars. I was a tech for Ford at a dealer for a while, and now I'm an Engine Test Technician for Navistar /International. I play with Turbo diesel engines all night (I work 3rd shift) so I know the fundimentals.

*Edit made, I posted from my phone, I often mess posts up from there.*

Last edited:
I'm out in Lemont. I'm not far from you at all.

Yep less than an hour. I got my Supercoupe and modded it heavily for the reason of being different which is also what i like. It turns out modding a supercoupe correctly is not a bad way to go at all and the looks you get before and after someone clueless about a supercoupe sees one in action is priceless.

Yep less than an hour. I got my Supercoupe and modded it heavily for the reason of being different which is also what i like. It turns out modding a supercoupe correctly is not a bad way to go at all and the looks you get before and after someone clueless about a supercoupe sees one in action is priceless.

This is the goal. Having owned 17 Fox Bodied Mustangs,(1 of them ran sub 9 sec passes in the 1/4) I still like the Mustangs, but I'm ready for something different. I'm willing to go as crazy as I can with the intended powertrain, while keeping it 100% streetable. I'm pretty much done with trailer queens all together. It's nice to have a race car, but I enjoy driving one on the street much better, plus my kids can share in that too. Car shows, meets, etc.

Back