Thread: shock install question

shock install question

I just replaced my shocks on the front and I am not to sure how far that nut is supposed to go down,is there a torque number for it? I don't have that so if someone could verify like an Inch or so it looks about right to me but I don't want to install it until I know for sure.

There probably is a torque spec. I am guessing 30-40 ft-lbs? But the main important thing is to make sure that the full weight of the car is on the springs when tightening. I would suggest tightening that nut and installing the ARC hardware last of all.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

I tighten it with my impact, then put it on the car and run it down a little farther before putting the mounting plates for the ARC actuators. I don't hammer it down tight but I use the impact since its fast. Then I install the mounting plate and nut with a ratchet not super tight but tight by hand. That way it will come off again in the future with the right tools.