Syncronizer Blockers?

5spd Blocker options

• Brass blockers from the F150 and Ranger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One spare blocker from the parts bin. Only replace 2nd. What about the others :(

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ricardoa1

I got dirty last night with the 35th. I just need to do the console to get to the shifter bolts and the two top bellhousing bolts and the 5speed will me on the bench.

I blew out the blocker on 2nd as most you will know. This transmission was my slickest 5 speed I have ever driven. And I dont want to loose that. But as I make th car more competitive I dont know if beffier blockers are needed.

With that said here are the options available to to us, last option to me.

If in my shoes, which option would you pick?

Mike Pucket's Carbon Fiber Blockers
Bill @ SCP Fiber lined reproductions
Brass Blockers
and last pop in a spare used OE blocker in 2nd? I have one laying around.

Btw

I'm not looking for any on any experience on any of these, aside from the stockers and here say of what you have read about blockers throughout the years.

Just a mere what to do if you had the above choices. What would you do if you had to replace your stock ones and you never tried anything else?

I have the same thing going on w mine. I put a set of the old carbon lined blockers in my late model and it still grinds going in third. I picked up a set of mike puckets and from talking to him I know I will be able to deal them more punishment and have them last longer. They are a quality looking piece.

I have the same thing going on w mine. I put a set of the old carbon lined blockers in my late model and it still grinds going in third. I picked up a set of mike puckets and from talking to him I know I will be able to deal them more punishment and have them last longer. They are a quality looking piece.

Dave I agree about the older carbon like material ones that were sold by southern gear. I have one in 4th on my blue car and I can't wait to pull it out. Its pretty evident that they are no good for what we are using them for.

Since you are cheap - don't take offense, a lot of my friends are cheap - just put your best stock ring in 2nd, and your worst one in 4th. It will cost you nothing and probably work as well as anything else for now. By the time you use those up there will be some opinions on Mike's new ones.

No sense throwing away good parts.

No offence taken Dave. Mostly because I disagree with that statement, and not even sure how you have come to that conclusion over the years, is because I didn't want to tow my SC to the shootout and pay double for gas?

But to agree with being cheap I would not have spent so much money on my blue car. All that aside being on a budget with a second SC because I really dont need it in the first place, makes sense to me. Its not my main focus when it comes to SC things but it keeps me from missing my blue car more than normal, since I choose not to drive it without its its power adder.
Don't take offence but you are slow at making custom sc parts.

I got different priorities in life but still have a wad of cash sitting here waiting for when the kenne bell gets finished. ;) Didn't think I was going to let you off the hook that easy.

But thanks for the input I might just do what you suggested. Since I'm not interested in experimenting with new sc parts. Unless I really have to.

Last edited:
I didn't know about bill or mike puckets blockers, but I think you can guarantee a grind with solid brass, and grinding ain't good. I would put a caliper on used fiber blockers before using brand new brass blockers - those would be my last resort.

If it were me, I would first look over all your broken down M5R2 parts real good. You might find a slider ring has wear, or a gear has wear, and if that is the case, it really doesn't make sense to put your best effort blocker in there with less than stellar parts around it.

I'm curious about Mike's blockers though - you know he "tests" them out better than anyone.

P.S. I think you are cheap like me. Spending $1000 in stainless headers, tubing and welder upgrades so you can fab a sweet exhaust on a rusted out 1999 F150 - as opposed to just buying the catback kit for $650. It's cheap, but not for lack of spending money - if that makes any sense.

No offence taken Dave. Mostly because I disagree with that statement, and not even sure how you have come to that conclusion over the years, is because I didn't want to tow my SC to the shootout and pay double for gas?

It is exactly things like that. Spending money and being cheap are two very different different things. For example, you didn't want to use shorty injectors on your new M90 setup because that would mean buying new fuel rails and replacing your injectors. So you accepted a compromise on the plenum.

Micah is cheap too, like being willing to drive to Ohio to have his car tuned, but not willing to trailer it out. If (heaven forbid) something bad were to happen with the car on the dyno, he was willing to ditch the car and take a bus back to Springfield, but not willing to borrow/rent a trailer and drive out with his truck. Heck he probably could have borrowed a truck and trailer.

That's the kind of logic that I don't follow. I have a lot of respect for the money and time you both have put into your cars. But I still don't understand the logic 1/2 the time.

If I had your transmission sitting on my bench here at the shop and was contemplating what to do - if it were a customer's transmission I would insist on new blockers, either brass for daily driving or carbon fiber for competition or if someone just wants the best. It makes no sense for someone to pay me to do all the work and then put in used parts. That's just silly. I don't make any money on the new parts, but it just doesn't make sense to take the chance on having to do it over again. New parts doesn't guarantee you won't have to do it over again, but it sure does lower the probability.

But, on the other hand if Phil is doing the R&R for me and is fully aware that when it doesn't work out he's going to be doing the R&R again, we'd definitely put in the used OE blockers and hope for the best - on our own vehicles. I have stacks of usable OE blockers, and from a performance standpoint they seem to be the best. But being they aren't available new anymore, when the used ones run out - that's it.

Right because 1000 mile trip adds up in fuel expenses when you are in tow additionally I would have had to pay for a trailer. All to being a car that I didn't really care about bringing to the shootout. And just that week it was advised to upgrade the QH and all that went with it to get the car tuned before the event. So yeah the budget was a little tapped out. I didn't plan on racing the car. But the car was running strong so I chanced it.

I also wanted the satisfaction of driving the car, that was value added at no extra cost.

Me mammoth thing was a pretty good excuse to blow money on a pointless venture. Well there was a point, but can you blame me for not wanting to spend extra money on rails and injectors when I had a modified rail and leftover injectors from the blue car?

Like I said this car is just a poor excuse to having an sc while things get worked on my other sc, which will require alot of money when I begin working on it.

But I have a budget to keep my household running and operating, Blowing money in my SC is no longer my lifes mission, so the shootout goes over budget always, I'm the one paying for it, still. Postponed my student loan payment to just be there and enjoy. I took the risk of not towing because of several reasons that don't need explanation. But the word cheap cannot be possibly one of them.

Sell me a set of stock blockers and you will have PayPal today. But I don't want to experiment, I'll let others do that. I had my share of experimenting and still manage to pull a few here and there.

I don't really care if that's the impression that I emit as long as there is food on the table for my kids and they have a good home for them to live in.

Godbless ya.

Now get my SC done will ya before I spend the money on hookers and beer.

Micah is cheap too, like being willing to drive to Ohio to have his car tuned, but not willing to trailer it out. If (heaven forbid) something bad were to happen with the car on the dyno, he was willing to ditch the car and take a bus back to Springfield, but not willing to borrow/rent a trailer and drive out with his truck. Heck he probably could have borrowed a truck and trailer.

Truth be told, I don't do a lot of towing, and the last time I personally tried to tow my SC anywhere, it was doing this:

[youtube]Q7xG0NBYKF4[/youtube]

So I try to just avoid towing stuff if I don't have to. It didn't help that I had just spent a couple grand on repairing the transmission in my F150 (a matter of weeks ago) and I wasn't real eager to hitch up 5000lbs and put it to the test.

So my attitude was to not go fixing problems that hadn't happened yet (like my car blowings up). I was also slightly perplexed as to why we expected the car to not blow up at Kurts, or at Dayton while dynoing/racing, or on the Power Tour in the middle of god know where, or even on the dyno at the Shootout this year, but for some reason I couldn't drive to your place and tune it without it blowings upped.

Things worked out though - the car has been tuned by about 10 people now. It's all good :)

P.S. I am cheap though. That's how I justify other stuff like baller F150 exhaust.

Last edited:
It can be tough being a car guy and supporting a family! I know I have made many mistakes with cars that I have owned and the choices that I have made. Sometimes following others advice, sometimes not. Sometimes it works out better sometimes not. Live and learn.

I make plans, have a budget, life is good then it rears it's head and you need a new HVAC. I have been putting a deal together for my 1/2 way house business buying a 4000sq ft historic home in Canton and I think I know what I am doing and what the costs are and then Attorney's fee's get stupid, Things come up and 6k disappers from your wallet that you counted on. That's life, no stopping it but stuff happens.

It Wwll never stop me from spending money on cars, but sometimes really nice parts have to be put on hold. I quess if you had the money to do it all at once it wouldn't be as fun because you would lose a piece of that experience to see something come along that was your vision, having a stake in it with regards to time and effort.

Anyway how would I fall asleep at night if it wasn't for all of the ideas I have in my head and dreaming how it would be to driving it with my foot to the floor with the windows down and cranking some Zepplin really loud!:D

Its all good. I guess Micah has a point but, being frugal applies when you can't do everything you want to do at that point in time.

He made fun of my rkusty old craftsman tool set he organized for me at the shootout. It was my first set of tools I paid 150 for it. And when it breaks I just go and change the broken socket. It gets the job done. If I spent 150 on another set what's the point if the rusty old set is doing its job. That's also 150 that I can use for blow or a needed 340 lph fuel pump.

I don't have a phat wallet so when things get executed a budget goes in place. Family and a large mortgage does not help. But I refuse to put my kids in a inner city school system and refuse paying a million dollars for private schooling. So I'm stuck paying for a huge mortgage and town taxes to get them into one of the top 10 school districts in the state of Ma.

Now back to the matter at hand. I commend Mike for the blockers but I really like the factory ones. And feel jaded about using something of another kind. I'm trying to explore options. But mostly because I don't want to try it and hate it, Like I hate 4th gear on my blue car with the southern gear blocker. I asked about brass for its longevity. But depending on who you ask its a toss up. Some love it some hate it. Fluid used might be the key. But I really want to finish this car as it will likely take the place of nice weather daily driver, when the truck lease is up.

I aldo still need to send the ported mpx case to Charles to reseal the port timing, buy a fuel pump, balance the driveshaft, and buy a radiator so the blue car can have its griffin back, I also want to convert the nose back to stock bumper and hood, reinstall moldings, buy back the 10rib 10% pulley from Chris.

Never ends

Back