New front brakes on.

good to doo

I went done to wreckers and got some 2003 mustang 2 piston calipers and as luck would have it they had near new pad and rotors. I grabbed what I needed, went home cleaned every thing and painted it. Put it on the95 sc, alli can say is that it is a very nice and inexpensive upgrade. Because as you know if your drive these cars hard into corners a lot , well the brakes really aren,t up to par.The car stops with a lot less pedal pressure. Hopefully I won,t be warping rotors anymore. thanks all for telling me about this.

So, you swapped over rotors too? I swapped in Mark VIII brakes on my car off a wreck,"as luck would have it, everything was new." :) I havent made any crazy stops yet, but no problems so far.

You said more responsive pedal feel? Are you still running the Teves booster in your car? That was one of the things I really liked about these cars, is the pedal feel of the brakes. Anyone else feelin me? I mean, when you put your foot on the brakes, they are just there. I'd like to do this too if I need to in the future. Most of my stuff will be straight track though...

The tbird rotor is close enough in diameter to the mustang that you do not have to switch to the mustang rotor. Also they weigh half as much as the tbird calipars.

The base 94-04 Mustang rotors can be used as replacements for 91-97 MN-12 rotors, when you have the SN95 Mustang hubs as well.

cheers
Ed

Do you have to run the mustang brackets? Will they clear 16" wheels? Is it better than the mark viii brake upgrade?

Do you have to run the mustang brackets? Will they clear 16" wheels? Is it better than the mark viii brake upgrade?

The Mark VIII uses an 11.6 rotor but with a single piston caliper.

Over on the SHOForum they have been upgrading to 11.6 rotors with the use of the Mark VIII bracket for some time now.

I suspect you will find the swept path of the 11.6 to be better than that of the 10.8 rotor.

However the two piston PBR Caliper may provide some greater clamping force benifits in addition to the lower weight.

Having driven an SHO on the track with the "96 brake upgrade" (11.6 rotor with OE caliper) I find it up to the task of repeatedly stopping a full size car multiple times, frequently from high speed w/o problem. I'm currently running the PBR dual piston on an 89 SC and it too stops fine.

I'd have to give the 11.6 rotor a cautious nod for being slightly superior due to the greater swept path. Of course when considering the Cobra 13" rotor upgrade there's no comparison. Also I plan on deleting the ABS as a preventative measure while the engine is out on the 91.

Good luck Jacob and do share your opinion after you change it out.

Yes you need the caliper mounts from the mustang. and you will need to clearance the caliper or it will hit. it dosent take much to clerance them. i have a spare set that i rebuilt and powder coated them black. but i dont think i ground them to fit on a bird. you also need i think 93 and up spindles. yes they will clear the stock sc wheel.

I almost forgot you have to grind down the brakeline block just a bit or use the mustang lines

In my opinion, unless you road race or have a trap speed of 130 plus mph the cobra brakes are not worth the money. The pbr brakes will haul my sons mustang to a nice safe stop after a trip down the strip with a trap speed of 119 mph time and time again. then drive it home. you can get no logo calipers from disc brakes are us. but hang on!!!!!

Jacob,

The V6/GT PBR calipers will clear 15" wheels if used with the V6/GT brackets on either the stock rotors or V6/GT rotors (for those that are hub-swapped). They're a noticeable upgrade from the stock single-piston calipers.

They even clear the stock 15" spares...barely.

Cool I will have to look into this for sure! I also have the same skinny setup as you so I didn't want to do something that wouldn't clear! I do know that the mark viii brakes will rub aluminum spares!

Jacob,

The V6/GT PBR calipers will clear 15" wheels if used with the V6/GT brackets on either the stock rotors or V6/GT rotors (for those that are hub-swapped). They're a noticeable upgrade from the stock single-piston calipers.

They even clear the stock 15" spares...barely.

Then the aluminum spare I grabbed out of wrecked mk VIII wasn't stock? Or does the MK VIII swap move them into conflict on an SC?

A Mark 8 spare is a 16" wheel. The SC spares pictured above are 15" wheels, which are easier to find "skinnies" or "frontrunners" for. The 16" Mark 8 spare will clear the larger diameter Mark 8 brake setup.

Back