Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Spam threads

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Ottawa, Ohio
    Posts
    5,407

    Spam threads

    There are several spam threads created in the Racing Forum
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,965
    Quote Originally Posted by rzimmerl View Post
    There are several spam threads created in the Racing Forum
    Ryan,

    Yeah..I've been deleting post and banning these users as quick as I can. Normally we only get about one a week. There has been about 20 new ones in the past two days, mostly Russian. If you see any just report it by clicking the red triangle on the post, and it will send me an email.

    Thanks, David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............750 rwhp 720 rwtq

    My Garage

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    138
    I run a few forums and they got over-run with spam, mostly from Russia & Ukraine on Thursday. It sucked, I had to ban so many users, IP addresses, delete the threads. Something obviously happened in the last 2 days to spur all this spam.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,586
    Might be time to make new users subject to manual screening. Seems that the bots have overcome the capta verification process. I doubt we get as many new users daily as we might get spammers if the current security system no longer works....
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Might be time to make new users subject to manual screening. Seems that the bots have overcome the capta verification process. I doubt we get as many new users daily as we might get spammers if the current security system no longer works....
    That's a total pain for admins. I've run forums for 12 years now, the most effective spam blocker is to ask a question that an English human can understand. If they get the answer wrong they can't register. Eventually word gets out what the answer is, so you need to change it periodically. In my case my forum supports multiple questions so there's more than one right answer.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    907
    I suggest installing Bad Behavior and adding the FREE Project Honeypot service to the mod. I have used the combo for years. Reduces SPAM without annoying regular members with questions.
    J.Miller
    1990 XR7 and 1955 F250!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    St. Charles, MO
    Posts
    20,965
    We have been flooded with spammers over the past few days. Over 100 new accounts were deleted and currently all new registrations are being put into a moderated holding area (not allowed to post) until we can get a handle on the problem.

    David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............750 rwhp 720 rwtq

    My Garage

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    630
    We actually do employ the Q&A to register to the site. We're coming up with new questions now (Trying to find one that SC people will know and aren't too easy to find via Google.)

    Like. . . How many cylinders does an SC engine have?

    What else do you guys have?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by J dot Miller View Post
    I suggest installing Bad Behavior and adding the FREE Project Honeypot service to the mod. I have used the combo for years. Reduces SPAM without annoying regular members with questions.
    Looking at these now. THANKS!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    2,925
    Casey called me today and told me he got a few
    Boxes of cialis from the spam guys and it cured all his problems. Maybe they arent such bad guys!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    138
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat DiPersia View Post
    We actually do employ the Q&A to register to the site. We're coming up with new questions now (Trying to find one that SC people will know and aren't too easy to find via Google.)

    Like. . . How many cylinders does an SC engine have?

    What else do you guys have?
    They don't need to be SC related questions. Unless you're trying to exclude regular folk. Seriously, all you need are questions that English humans can understand. I use stuff like this: Type the last three letters of this word: UMBRELLA. Then a month later I change it to the first three letters. Or first two and the last letter, etc.

    p.s. Lose the random question on the posting page, it's doing nothing. You want to stop them from registering, that's more important than pestering all members.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    They don't need to be SC related questions. Unless you're trying to exclude regular folk. Seriously, all you need are questions that English humans can understand. I use stuff like this: Type the last three letters of this word: UMBRELLA. Then a month later I change it to the first three letters. Or first two and the last letter, etc.

    p.s. Lose the random question on the posting page, it's doing nothing. You want to stop them from registering, that's more important than pestering all members.
    Also it is asking me a question when I search every single time. I have been a member since 2000 but just getting back into them. Does being a paying member solve that issue? I used to be but when we lost the newsletter and money got tight it did not seem worth it.
    '91 5-speed
    My first car, gutted and waiting for resurrection

    '93 5-speed
    289, rebuilt and fuel injected

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Madison, Ohio
    Posts
    17,586
    Quote Originally Posted by ben m View Post
    Also it is asking me a question when I search every single time. I have been a member since 2000 but just getting back into them. Does being a paying member solve that issue? I used to be but when we lost the newsletter and money got tight it did not seem worth it.
    Paying members do not answer any questions. Your payment is what keeps this page online. If you own an SC, then that alone is worth at least your annual fee. Imagine if all the resources on this page were suddenly gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Posts
    6,211
    Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Imagine if all the resources on this page were suddenly gone.


    Not a good thing thats for sure

    Ken

    93 SC Whipple powered 11.648 @ 119.6
    Twin Turbo, air intercooled..yet to see

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    13,517
    there was a vBulletin 0 day hack exposed recently. Perhaps someone is exploiting that?

Similar Threads

  1. all those PRIVATE threads?
    By k_schutte in forum sccoa.com website
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2009, 08:15 AM
  2. HELP 91 with Damaged threads in crank
    By jettburn in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2006, 02:06 PM
  3. HEGO on exhaust manifold threads bad
    By 3tbird in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 07:08 PM
  4. I know ur sick of exhaust threads...but
    By joew623 in forum Technical Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 01:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •