Tubular K-Member (Round 2)

Getting things together and tooling up for a small run of these. What would the preferred motor mounts be? Stock or aftermarket (energy suspensions, etc.)?

Since 89-92 and 93-97 use different motor mount brackets I can either configure the jig for both versions and utilize stock-type or configure the jig one way to incorporate one aftermarket version. The aftermarket method will cost more out of pocket so keep that in mind.

Thoughts?
Stock mounts suck so any other option would be better

This is relevant to my interests. I'd like to know about the cost as well.

Do you have a timeframe in mind? No pressure, just curious.

Interested in this also, and I would configure for stock mounts for those that have the nice Turbo Chuck mounts ;) Did not know Energy offered aftermarket mounts for the 3.8

Did not know Energy offered aftermarket mounts for the 3.8

...They do not, but at this point I can design it to hold any off the shelf component. I may be wrong, but as long as the pattern fits a SBF (and a 3.8L), it should be good. Expect a cost adder of somewhere in the $150 range.

...They do not, but at this point I can design it to hold any off the shelf component. I may be wrong, but as long as the pattern fits a SBF (and a 3.8L), it should be good. Expect a cost adder of somewhere in the $150 range.

So what are you thinking for a base level price? The OP mentions $600, but that was three years ago.

So what are you thinking for a base level price? The OP mentions $600, but that was three years ago.

TBD, but probably less than originally expected. Laser-cut parts are slowly trickling in. Once I make a second one on the new jig, I'll be better able to assess time spent, material cost, consumable cost, etc. The new jig is much more efficient so that should help out a bunch. Im building a new one for myself right now out of chromoly, so it'll allow me to make a trial run with the newly configured jig. Pretty excited about this one..I estimate it weighing in around 17lbs. The other units will be made out of DOM tubing however in order to keep costs down.

Last edited:
I've had one of the original units on my car for MANY MANY years, it was one of the best mods I ever did and is holding up well. If for no other reason than making the car much easier to work on.

The only change I might suggest is to pop for powder coating. Original paint peeled off in no time.

I know there are differences between the 89-92 and 93+ K-member, so this is a job for all of the year, or only later ones, or those who just started going? In addition, any picture of the previous ones installed?

Back