Ran another autocross in the SC--video

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/krkSyZAOFwY?list=UUTSeW0MYVOMINbrsa7RVcLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After oil-starving the Camaro last year, I spent this year running my MR2, and I wasn't very happy with it. Somehow, I have the only MR2 on the planet with uncurable understeer. At the last event, I finally killed the front tires, so I decided to take something I knew wouldn't understeer.

Aside from one event in 2010, I hadn't autocrossed the SC since 2008. I still had my race tires from back then, and it's been a while since I've done something truly stupid and futile, so I thought I'd give the SC a go.

I put my 2 best tires on the front, since there's nothing less fun than understeer. I turned all the shocks to full firm and put 36 psi in each tire.

I had no grip in back at all. It would oversteer while coasting, so I dropped the rear tires to 34 psi and took one turn out of the rear shocks. That helped a bit, but I knew my tires just sucked, and I was going to have to live with that.

Oh, I also wondered if the SC would get disqualified on our 100 decibel sound policy (pretty common limit for the SCCA). I hit 99 dB, and I'm not sure if that was the exhaust or the blower.

I went to the event expecting to finish DFL in pro class, and that's exactly what happened. But honestly, I had more fun running DFL in the SC than mid-pack in the MR2.

Anyway, here's my best raw time. I nailed one cone and ran a 45.1; I ran a 45.6 or so clean on another run, so that's the run that actually counted.

So, I encourage all of you to have fun and try autocross your SCs. Don't expect to win; just do it for the fun. And don't do it on rock-hard, heat-cycled, early 2008-vintage race rubber.

Here's the link to full-sized video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krkSyZAOFwY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTSeW0MYVOMINbrsa7RVcLA

Edit: at least I still know how to position the car.

ScreenShot2013-12-01at45807PM_zpsd7933059.png

Last edited:
As for the MR2's incurable oversteer, it sounds like something many owners think they all suffer from?

http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/snapoversteer.htm

Exactly. Which is why I said mine is the only one with UNDERsteer.

Here's another run in the SC that demonstrates more extreme oversteer.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gTaXtxKF1WY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTaXtxKF1WY&feature=youtu.be

Under or over, the point was (1) it's not just your car and (2) how too many MR2 drivers blame the car when 'crossing without understanding it's inherent qualities _and_flaws.

Is there any car you've had success with when auto crossing?

Too bad the locals there no longer fear the SC :) Keep it up and we'll have to pull your card...

I won a pair of National Tours and a ton of local events in the Camaro.
You won more than a couple events in the SC too. I seem to recall one where you handed some certain Porsche his hind end too. I think you may even have a trophy to prove it.

I had local success in the SC back in the day. It set FTD (fastest time of the day) 3 times in the first 4 events I ever raced it. But the level of local competition we have now is much higher than it was then, and even with new tires I wouldn't do very well with the SC now.

I admit I'd be curious to see how the SC would do in its current state of build, but with new tires. I'm not going to shell out the cash to find out, but I am curious. It's making so much torque now than it did when I raced it regularly. I'm honestly not certain I even got to WOT in every run today. When I did, it was maybe for a half second or so. I was pleased, though, that I didn't even have a whine out of the power steering pump. No problems there at all. Aside from the general lack of traction, the car ran great.

I wore one of my rear tires down through the Kevlar to the steel belts today, so this is probably the last experiment on these Hoosiers I'll have. If the opportunity presents itself, I may run it on street tires at some point.

It's been years since I've driven on a road course, and I never did so in the SC. There are other guys here who have more experience in that environment.

Back