2015 Ford Mustang (love it? hate it?)

Your first impression of the 2015 Mustang

• Total voters

Rick_Leuce

Hi all.

The new 2015 Ford Mustang was revealed today early in the morning and I wanted to see what we all thought about it.

No news on the 0-60, quarter mile or MPG yet but I'd imagine them to be about the same (maybe better if the car is lightened enough)

I heard the new Mustang might get Independent Rear Suspension, or at least replaced the Live Rear Axle.

All I got are pics from the internet, nothing special.

I think it looks like the 2013 Mustang mixed with a Toyota Camry or something, It looks aggressive but doesn't have the touch of class the 2013-14 had.

As a big fan of the of 05-09's I have been on the fence up until now on the mustang looks... I am glad they went for a different look. The long hood will keep that old school muscle car feel. I am glad they still offer the 5.0 and think the 4 banger will really be a big hit for the ricer folks... I like it alot but would still take an 05 or 06 over the new ones. Once more aftermarket grilles and accessories are available I am sure it will look even more aggressive. I think the interior is by far the nicest so far throughout the previous generations. I may have to think twice when I trade in my Maxima next year on a replacement for the wife...:D

I'm not really feeling it, but I'm pretty sure I'll warm up to it when/if the Voodoo version with a twin turbo 5.0 is released for the 2016 model year. I'm more than a little bias towards the out going chassis, because I just bought a 2014 GT500 a few months ago.

rubyred2014GT50012_zps2564b12a.jpg

David

Cosmetically, I don't think the car is bad, but I think they could have done better. I kind of like the front end. It is new looking, similar to the look of the new fusion, which I really like, but still identifiable as a mustang. I also kind of like the rear end. It is reminiscient of the 69/70 Mustang Mach1, which in my opinion is still the best looking Mustang that has ever been made. The problem is that front end, and that back end DO NOT belong on the same car! I'm generally not a big fan of the whole retro thing, but if it is done right, like the new Challengers, it really can look good. However having half the car look retro, and the other half of the car look new, you just end up with an overall look that is confused and doesn't know what it was trying to do.

As far as interior goes, there really haven't been many newer cars whose interior I find at all pleasing, and this is no exception. This new Mustang's interior does look like an improvement over the previous model, but new cars have so much stuff crammed into the interiors with display screens and navigation, and blue tooth and touch-screen radios, and backup cameras...it just makes the interior feel cramped. All I want in an interior is 6 gauges, a console with an armrest and shifter, radio and power windows within easy reach, comfortable supportive seats, and as much room to stretch out as you can give me, and for some reason NOBODY wants to offer that anymore!

Now that I am done ranting about the exterior and interior, mechanically I am very excited about the new Mustang. It looks like they are making it smaller and lighter than the previous generation, which is great, considering the the previous 2 generations look like middle-aged overweight versions of the Mustangs from the 60s. Between that and the new suspension, it looks like this Mustang might actually have good ride and good handling simultaneously, a concept that Ford couldn't be bothered with since the MarkVIII went away in 98! The 5.0 is an incredible motor, and from the sounds of it the 2015 will have even more tweaks, so I can't argue there, and even the base 3.7 is rated at 300hp, so a plain-jane mustang won't be any slouch either. I am very curious about the 2.3 Ecoboost and where that is going to fall both in terms of power and price compared to the 5.0. Back in the SVO days, the turbo-4 was almost as powerful as the V8, but much more expensive, so it didn't sell well, and I think if they follow the same formula, they will see the same result. Also, having a 300hp base motor, if they only get 310hp out of the Ecoboost, I think very few people will spend the extra money for it, so I think that would also be a marketing failure. However if they can get about 350hp out of the turbo-4, with better braking and handling and gas mileage than either of the other 2, and if they can price it slightly under the 5.0 car, then I think they would have 3 cars that will all sell very well.

All that being said, once they come out I will probably do just what I did with the Challenger and the Ecoboost F150; build one on the website, see how much the monthly payment will be, then act like the cheap bastard I am and build something almost as fast for a lot less money, possibly using parts from these new cars when some rich kid wraps his around a pole. I may go one step further though when these come out, I may take a couple test drives just to see how it compares to my old MN12s.

Who among us couldn't love a Ford badged two door with a boost gauge & IRS.

touche on that! Idk how I feel yet, maybe when they add some more agressive body styling to the speedier models to come (if they do) I'll warm up to it. I really do love the look of the last one, and I think David Neibert's car is gorgeous.

I am very curious about the 2.3 Ecoboost and where that is going to fall both in terms of power and price compared to the 5.0. Back in the SVO days, the turbo-4 was almost as powerful as the V8, but much more expensive, so it didn't sell well, and I think if they follow the same formula, they will see the same result. Also, having a 300hp base motor, if they only get 310hp out of the Ecoboost, I think very few people will spend the extra money for it, so I think that would also be a marketing failure.

I honestly think they will make the Ecoboost cheaper than the other models for the fact that they want people driving 4 bangers rather that 5.0's. I'd like to run a good SC against one. I bet we'd win with at least an aftermarket gear, but then again.. might get smoked. I think it'll be awesome if they put a supercharger or have twin turbos on the 5.0 though. Gimme the power Ford considering you don't want anybody to have BBF's anymore :mad:

From: ' http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1312_2015_ford_mustang_first_look/ '

"Originally, the 2015 Ford Mustang was to be offered with only two engines, the 5.0-liter V-8 and the all-new EcoBoost 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder. The 3.7-liter V-6 was added to the Mustang stable during development for a very simple reason: price, although it will be months before pricing is announced.

“We wanted the Mustang to remain obtainable to our customers, so we kept the V-6 as the base model,” said vehicle engineering manager Tom Barnes."

-=-

For 2015, I'd expect the V6 at $24k, EcobooStang at $29k and the 5.0 GT at $34k.

I think I like it. I need to see it in person and I need to look at it for a while. For some reason the cars looks change in my mind after looking at it. Like my brain needs to get use to it. It either grows on me or it doesn't.

Love the engine options. Might get a 2.3 for my wife.

Only mustangs I like are the 87-93 fox body, and 85-86 right behind. I am just starting to warm up to the 94-98 style. Call me strange, but that's what I think a mustang is, probably cause I was a kid and wanted one in the late 80's, early 90's.

Part of me likes it, part of me hates it. I think it looks too much like my '13 SHO!!

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 222.jpg
    222.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 406
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 475
From what I've learned so far (still more info to be released) the new 2015 Mustang will perform better than the 2011-2014 Mustangs in pretty much every way. I think there are appearance features that make the new Mustang appealing, but not quite as retro as the 2013-14 (which is the best look since 1970).

There's a few new techy features that are part cool but part creepy. like Ford's new type of "keyless entry", where all you need is to have the key in proximity of the car and it'll unlock AND you can start the car WITHOUT pulling your keys out of your pocket (push to start ignition). There could be problems with this... but its kind of cool. The thing I hate about new car keys is that you can't simply go to a Home Depot and get a spare of your key for a few bucks, you'd have to go to a dealership and pay like $30-60 for a spare key.

I hope there aren't too many techie flippy switches and whatnot that make the Mustang lose the feel of a TRUE sports car. I'm glad that the whole dashboard isn't just a computer screen (tachometer and speedometer are at least real gauges) but I'm bothered that some cars are leaning that way.

I know that car companies are trying to implement all this tech to appeal to younger buyers, but (as a young driver myself) I'm not impressed with half the new stuff they shove into cars these days. I'd rather drive a 1980 something Mercury Lynx 4-banger Diesel with crank windows and a stick than a new car with stupid paddle shifters.

Rick,

Ford keys have been electronically coded for many years and also have the key fob integrated into the key. Spare keys are about $120, so not really a big change with the new type.

David

I'm in for a boosted 4banger. Or depending on mpg/price I might just say get the 5.0 if it's not more then 5k more.

I hear a lot of people who get Fords with Eco boost are disappointed. They have nice acceleration and all but they're hard to work on and their MPG ratings are slightly higher than you'll really get (sometimes overrated by up to 5 MPG). However, in the current V6 Mustangs, people love to find out that they get about 5 more MPG than their car was rated for.

I'd personally stick to the 6-Cyl and 8-Cyl but hopefully the new Fords with Eco Boost will have improved their system. I wished there was a V6 Mustang with a Supercharger option from the factory.

Back