2015 Ford Mustang (love it? hate it?)

Your first impression of the 2015 Mustang

• Total voters
I am really waiting to see one in person before I pass judgement, but by the photos I think it is too much like the previous generation. It is no secret that this car is destined for Europe. Because of this I was hoping for something more aggressive in the styling department. This iteration says Mustang but is typical conservative Ford in not wanting to alienate its core customer. Combine that with a carry over drivetrain lineup and this car really doesn't appeal to me unless the in person look is just jaw droppingly good.

As far as the ecoboost 4 it is of no interest to me either. My daily driver is a 2011 Premium.auto Mustang. I average 29-31 mpg on my 62mi round trip to work everyday traveling @ 75mph for 40 miles on the interstate. I have taken it on two road trips, one this summer covering 1100 miles and averaged over 35mpg and one recently in colder weather covering 900mi and still averaged 32. The car is geared with 2.73's and a 28" tire from the factory and turns less than 2K@75-80mph. It ran 14.9@94mph at the strip with very lazy 60ft times(2.3 IIRC). Paying a premium price for the 4 cyl ecoboost for the small gain in mpg just isn't worth the price IMHO. This engine option is likely being offered solely because of the european market and the way gas prices and taxes are applied over there.

Now if the car does look good in person I will be waiting till 2017 when the rumored turbo 6 is suppose to show up. Whether it is the SHO 3.5 or turbos on the current 3.7 I would be able to keep my current mpg, hopefully, and have the rumored 400hp it is suppose to have. That is the winner in my book.

Last edited:
4 cyl mustang

I traded an '87 TurboCoupe and some cash for a '92 SC a few months back. I inherited the TC. It was twice wrecked, no heat, droning, no synchro, warped rotors, messed up ac controller, leaking radiator. I proceeded to drive it in that condition for 30K miles because despite all it's problems, it was (a) a blast to push around corners (b) got 31 mpg highway (c) averaged 25 mpg overall. Personally, other than the severe turbo lag, I thought the car was great and would have kept it had it not been for all the problems that were not worth the expense to fix (and I do my own work, so no labor). Of course the SC is head and shoulders a more comfortable and faster car (understatement) but I would think a Mustang with a twin turbo should be great. Being lighter the HP/LB ratio should be good and with the twin turbo, lag should be minimal. As for mpg, some people don't understand that if you put a SMALL engine in a car and drive it like a V8 then you get V8 mileage. If you drive it reasonably, the mileage should be impressive. I thought 25 mpg for 26 year old car weighing in at 3500 lbs was pretty impressive. Oh yeah and with the 22 gallon tank it had a much nicer cruising range than the SC! Loved my TC. Love my SC more. Would definitely love a 4 cyl mustang.

In person the car looks amazing. Its also wider than the s197. You all need to see it in person. Its hot. It took the 2010 stang and made it a hell of alot better looking. Wait two years and see what happens. If the performance is anything like they say it is..Its a win win.

I'm all for a 4-cyl Turbo Mustang (kinda like the SVO) but I don't want no stinkin' ecoboost on a "performance" car :p

The ecoboost saves you gas and makes your car a little faster, but I'd rather save money by not needing to fix or replace it years down the road. (I hear cars with ecoboost lose their resale value faster than cars that don't)

I'd prefer the base V6 Mustang, if it's as good or better than the current version... then its a no-brainer :rolleyes: Maybe someday I'll buy one used and put a supercharger in it ;) The world could use more Super 6-bangers with IRS :D

I think that the styling on the 2015 'Stang is great. Some people have said that the back of the car looks like a Honda Accord, but I personally don't see that. The front of the car has a more aggressive profile, and it looks (visually, at least) like it's a bit more aerodynamic than the last few years of Mustangs, and most likely more than the 2005-2010 Stangs, in which Ford had admitted that aerodynamics took a back seat to visual appeal (especially the grille/ front area). The sides appear to be a little narrower than in previous years. As a '99 Mustang owner, i'm more of a fan of the '99-'04's, in which I think it's a good blend of modern and retro.

There's some good points in this thread. The turbo'd 4 cylinder sounds like a great idea in theory, and the power numbers are phenomenal. But are the slightly better numbers than the V6 and the slightly better gas mileage worth it to enough people to make it viable for Ford? As we've seen on the SC's and Turbo Coupes, when people don't maintain the cars well, the motors take a beating. And this being a new engine, the R&D only goes so far....the ongoing R&D becomes anyone who buys it and drives it under various conditions. As it stands, the Coyote 5.0 suffered and is suffering from some piston #8 failures, and with the horsepower wars between the Camaro, Challenger and Mustang, when power numbers are boosted, obviously, the question becomes how long that the motors will last. People always want reliability, economy and power, but very rarely do those go hand in hand, especially when you really start putting some serious mileage on a motor.

In addition to stock reliability and performance I am curious to see just what the aftermarket can do with an already potent 2.3 turbo. Already putting out roughly 1.5hp per cube will make it tough to gain more out of the engine for reasonable money. The 3.7 has shown the potential to run in the high 12's with bolt on's in the 11 to 14 cars. With the 15 suppose to be lighter the performance will likely be better. And then the option to put a power adder on it.

My guess is that 4cyl turbo motor will be a strong one. Looking at the SC and turbo Tbird the motors are strong. We had a get together with about 6 SC's here in ga last weekend and 3 of them had 300k miles on them!!!! Original 300k!!!!!

What I like is the ability to chose the engine and I think ford has done a great good bringing different options to the public.

It will be interesting to see what the tuners do with the turbo. How much more they can squeeze out of it.

Still haven't seen one yet. Might have to go down and look at one! My wife will be needing a new car as soon as she is done with PT school.

I should also state that i've never met a Mustang that I didn't like. New ones, old ones, well kept ones, neglected ones;4 cylinder ones, V6 ones, V8 ones. Yeah, even the Mustang II. :D Many people really dislike Bunkie Knudsen's '71 to '73's, but I like those, too.

The thing with the Ecoboost is there's a lot of potential with just a tune. I'm looking at doing that with my 2013 SHO w/PP, I've seen at least one person with a tune and some other minor stuff getting down to 4 seconds 0-60 - in a Taurus :eek:

If the Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost is that tunable, I'm sure you'll see them kicking butt.

Agreed!!! I ordered a tune from Livernois for my SHO so im excited to see how she performs once i get it installed. I already condider her my Audi killer but what next???

The thing with the Ecoboost is there's a lot of potential with just a tune. I'm looking at doing that with my 2013 SHO w/PP, I've seen at least one person with a tune and some other minor stuff getting down to 4 seconds 0-60 - in a Taurus :eek:

If the Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost is that tunable, I'm sure you'll see them kicking butt.

I love almost everything about the '15 Mustang... except that front end. I can see where they were going with it - keeping a "family" of styling through the brand, while making it a bit more aggressive and edgy - but it just looks way too much like a Fusion. Basically the headlights just make me think of a Japanese sedan more than they do Mustang. Still, it would probably grow on me if I had one, and the rest of the car is great. The rear end is especially sexy, probably the best design since 1970 if you ask me.

I didn't think I liked them at first but after seeing it more and more I began to like them but now that it's fairly common to see them I have noticed they kind of look gtrish

They are starting to grow on me, especially since the GT350 was announced. Waiting to see what they do for the next generation GT500.

David

Since I saw the 50th anniversary one at Carlisle in 2014 I loved the exterior styling (it really doesn't look great in pictures), then sitting in one at the Philly auto show this past weekend sealed the deal. I wouldn't be against buying one, that's saying a lot since I haven't been a Mustang guy since '98. Ford did a great job with them and it seems like every magazine is raving about the chassis, etc.

Back