an Ecoboost for my bird...

It would be tough to fit one in an SC chassis. It could be done, but to what end, and at what cost? And who would do it? I'm not trying to be a killjoy, just trying to be realistic.

I'm thinking about maybe putting one of these in my LX so I can have a nice powerful daily driver. It will save me at least $25k on a new car and I get to drive around in timeless styling! The only problem I see at this moment is the transmission, I want auto, 6 gears, and paddle shift! :D

already covered..

Seen this the other day on TV - Truck Tech Ecoboost 55 F100 with a 5 speed 3.5L Ecoboost

http://www.powernationtv.com/episode/TT2014-23/f100-basket-case-hot-rod-classic

It will be interesting to find out how they are going to deal with all the electronics?:confused::confused:

Ford has said that there will be a plug &play setup for this and the new flat plain engine. They are going forward with getting their stuff to the hot rodder so more people run Fords then that bowtie stuff.. Stay tuned for more to come after the first of the year from Ford and also from some of the other suppliers.....Rich

Buick tried to sell hot rodders on their turbo V6...that didn't work out. Traditional hot rodders want V8s, and I don't see a lot of guys building 32 Fords or early Mustangs with Ecoboost engines in them. And Ford engines have always been more expensive than their GM equivalent.

More Info

I was able to dig up some more info that maybe of use.

The engine is 28-1/2" wide across the turbos, the widest point, width of the 3.5L Ecoboost across the heads is only 22", so no issue with vacuum brake boosters (Ecoboost F150s have a vacuum pump, any swap with vacuum brakes will need one as well). Height is 27” Length (not including accessories): 22-23”.

The F150's 3.5L Ecoboost uses a rear-sump oil pan, the exact same pan as used on the 2011-2014 Mustang 3.7L V6 (which also uses the 6R80 auto trans).

The motor mounting bosses on the F150 3.5L Ecoboost block are identical to those on a RWD 3.7L V6 block.

The 2011-2014 Mustang's MT-82 6-speed manual as used behind the 3.7L V6 will bolt right up to the F150's 3.5L Ecoboost engine. The F150's 6R80 auto trans is physically identical to the one used in the 2011-2014 mustang, so for sure it will package in those cars and very likely clear the tunnel on all 1979 & newer Mustangs as well as 1985 & up Rangers and likely a ton of other cars/trucks.

Sometime in the second quarter of 2015, Ford Racing will offer a "Controls Pak" for the F150 3.5L Ecoboost engine using a manual transmission.

It has 6-bolt main bearings, oil cooling jets for the pistons, a forged crankshaft, forged (powdered metal) rods and makes 365HP and 420 ft-lbs of torque and 90% of peak torque from 1700rpm through 5500rpm, on 87 octane fuel:eek:

QuickTime now has a RM-8087 bell housing available that bolts the 3.5l/3.7l engine to an aftermarket T56 transmission (the models with the midplate and hydraulic throwout bearing).

The F150's Ecoboost PCM has 2 connectors. One is for the engine and transmission wiring, and the other handles power, ground, connections to the vehicle (CAN Bus, ignition switch, etc) and the vehicle mounted sensors (MAFS ACTs, etc). This means that you can use the stock PCM and engine/trans harness and not touch the wiring in one connector, and just make all the wiring modifications for the vehicle interface via the other connector's harness.

All the Direct Injection stuff happens on the engine, there is a camshaft driven high pressure fuel pump, but the fuel supply from the tank is typical EFI. Just use the F150's in-tank pump and it's Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) and connect that to the PCM just as in the F150. Nothing special on the vehicle side of fuel delivery. 87 Octane too!

2011 and new F150s and Mustangs do not have a power steering pump. So, when doing a swap involving a 2011 & newer engine from a F150 or a Mustang, you need to either figure a way to install a PS pump onto the new engine, or convert to EPAS steering. 

There are people doing DIY electric power steering on the cheap...
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all...column-electric-power-assist-system-epas.html

Ford Engine Swap Size Chart
http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/tipsPDF/EngineDimensions.pdf

Last edited:
It's now Dec 2014 and still no sign of the Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Control Pack.
Unless you are serious enough to want to learn how to use a standalone EMS like Megasquirt, I think any hotrodder who wants this engine will need to extract the harness/ECU from a donor car. At that point, you might as well snag the engine...
-g

Anyone interested in trying this, I can probably hook you up with a guy I know trying to sell. 2011 3.7 out of an F150 with auto trans and wiring harness with 11k. In the Cleveland, OH west side area. He offered it to me for $3000 a while back, after sitting on it you might be able to do better now. He decided to do a new 5.0 in his project.

If you r interested drop me a PM and I can get contact info

Adam

It's now Dec 2014 and still no sign of the Ford 3.5L Ecoboost Control Pack.
Unless you are serious enough to want to learn how to use a standalone EMS like Megasquirt, I think any hotrodder who wants this engine will need to extract the harness/ECU from a donor car. At that point, you might as well snag the engine...
-g

"Ford Racing currently offers the aftermarket enthusiast with either a 2.0L or the 3.5L EcoBoost engines, with wiring installation kits coming soon to make this a truly plug and play system, like the popular 5.0 Coyote Controls Pack. Performance is once again affordable, all you need is a car to put the EcoBoost into. Check out the Ford Racing web site and stay tuned for more."

I own one of the highest moddified F150 EcoBoost's in the country, so I am very familiar with the engine. I really dont see how it would fit. All the turbo piping you could custom make fairly easily, but its a 3.5L that looks like the size of a BB.lol
Once there is a aftermarket HPFP the sky is the limit on these engines. Mine is pretty much maxed out.
Its making 503hp and 626tq to the wheels. I plan on getting the Cavalli triple ball bearing turbo upgrade, but its pointless at this time.

Here's a few pics of my truck. For some reason it wont post my good pics.
13 F150 EcoBoost, SSI tuned, AMR intercooler with 5" core, Kooks turbo down pipes, FullRace MS 3" exhaust, S&B intake, BBK 76mm TB, DevilsOwn progressive meth injection.
Intercooler.jpgDeuce.jpg

Last edited:
Imagine if you could cut some weight on the truck how fast it could be. An overlooked engine is the new 6.2 in the f150. It's no joke. Makes 411hp with no power adder, overhead cam, and does it all under 5500 rpm. Now, sky IS the limit with this engine.

There is a flex putting down over 600 at the wheels and it is AWD. I know he did a lot of fuel upgrades and is running larger injectors. I wouldnt say 500 is maxed out with that engine.

There is a flex putting down over 600 at the wheels and it is AWD. I know he did a lot of fuel upgrades and is running larger injectors. I wouldnt say 500 is maxed out with that engine.

Thats Mike Bambic. He doesnt have it anymore. He didnt put larger injectors in because they arent avalible yet. What he did is make his own AUX fuel system. I'll find a pic and post it up.

500hp is about maxed out with these engines, because of fueling. My EcoBoost F150 made 503, but we all know a dyno is just a tool and isnt 100% accurate. I have a Walbro intank pump along with the stock pump, so I can run up to E40-E50 mixes.
The torque that these engines make is just incredible. Thats what makes it fun.:cool:

they would fit in your car..

with the size given this engine will fit into any bird. it is smaller than a big block in all ways that you can measure.. so if you got the time, money, and the will power you could do this and have something that would bring most all your dreams come true....Rich

Back