Corrugated wire loom? Rebuilding engine harness.

ricardoa1

Where do i get oem grade tubing and electrical tape.
I'm trying to rebuild my engine wire harness on my blue car
and it uses a gray smooth type tube and also some regular looking tubing.

I need stuff that won't disintegrate after a heat cycle.

Last edited:
I got mine at the local custom 4x4 store. Corrugated wire looming. Used 3M vinyl electrical tape. I believe rated for 170 degrees. I'm sure there's a better tape out there but mine hasn't had any problems. Just wrap it loose and it won't want to shrink and come loose at the ends.

Pretty sure I've seen heat reactive OEM type fabric tape on eBay.

I found some locally (hardware store no-name), after looking and looking - works great, looks factory and has been tidy & tight for the last year on my car. I use it mixed with 3M electrical tape (very little & never exposed), generic plastic wire wrap from the local auto parts store, and factory clips harvested from other harnesses, etc. Also heat shrink when called for, but it tends to add stiffness, so I try not to over do it. When done, I spray with clear acrylic to seal and make it easier to clean later.

Jegs (free ground shipping) & Summit both sell convoluted/split tubing.

Last edited:
OEM tape is not electrical tape but Self-Fusing Tape.

If it was me I'd use spiral warp or mesh and heat shrink.

Can get all from McMaster-Carr.

OEM tape is not electrical tape but Self-Fusing Tape.

If it was me I'd use spiral warp or mesh and heat shrink.

Can get all from McMaster-Carr.

What he said. If you want a gooey mess later use electrical tape. Someone started a thread about this a couple years ago. I thought it was you Rico. There was some links in the thread.

I guess these come in three different materials

Plastic
Polyethylene
And nylon.

Which is resembles factory stuff, same goes for the tape.

I used tape that gets hard with heat and some that unstick and gets chewy with heat.

Trying to get the same as oem.

Also the gray stuff, that's made for the one or two wire parts.

What he said. If you want a gooey mess later use electrical tape. Someone started a thread about this a couple years ago. I thought it was you Rico. There was some links in the thread.

Maybe it was me its been a back burner project of mine.

The earlier cars use some cloth type also on some spots but later cars don't.

When I was looking into tapes I browsed some of the 3M stuff. They have way more than I had time to sort through. But, we have used a fiberglass cloth electrical tape at work before. The adhesive is supposed to cure stronger with heat. I didn't use it because it's white. I bet they have something that can be used in this application.

Conversely, it's just something to contain the wires. It won't be adding any bling or HP.

I'm in the process of rebuilding mine as well. I got the self-fusing tape at harbor freight. The loom I plan on getting from McMaster.

As a minimum, I would stay away from standard electrical tape

just wondering if these looms are the same on all the years? I have a really good one on a 90 car but my 95 is starting to look ratty. thanks.

just wondering if these looms are the same on all the years? I have a really good one on a 90 car but my 95 is starting to look ratty. thanks.

No. Different harness sections vary depending on year. Which part of your '95 harness is looking poor?

Looks like what I am looking for is
Polyethylene fire retardant, but I can only find in bulk or single size. I need like an assorted kit or something. I know there are a few sized that the engine harness uses.

I found this for the single wires where the connector meets.

High-Temperature Chemical-Resistant PTFE Sleeving

Also known as spaghetti tubing due to its small size, this sleeving is flexible, chemically inert, and resistant to melt-off by soldering irons. PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) is ideal for electrical insulation as well as transporting chemicals. Tubing also has a smooth, friction-resistant surface. Temperature range is -454° to +500° F. Color is white. Meets AMS 3655, UL 94V0 for flame resistance, and is CSA certified.

5335kp1s.png

That would be the upper/front harness - doesn't include the injectors and O2 sensors, as an example, I don't think.

92's are different from earlier, so that's two examples, and on a '95, your DIS sits over on the fender, so that's a third example, at least, so best to stick with years that do the same.

Back