5-Speed Conversion

txsc

I'm performing a 5-speed conversion to my Son's SC. My question, does the computer need to be changed during the swap? The years are as follows:

Donor = 1989 (manual)
Recipient = 1990 (automatic)

I'm assuming that since the transmission isn't computer controlled (as in later years), the computer doesn't need to be swapped.

Thanks,

JD

5 spd conversion

If you bypass the clutch positioning switch I think it should work. I did the swap on mine with a 93 but I swapped the EEC. You'd never know it started out as an automatic!

AOD vs. 5 speed throttle response is different. AOD has a delayed throttle response, 5 speed is much quicker. Theory is that this has to do with extending the life of the torque converter. Bear in mind, the 5 speed was also normally equipped with EGR so an 89 5sp EEC is going to expect to find it and will toss a CEL if its not there.

So what I think I'm hearing is to leave the AOD computer in the car to avoid the CEL. Throttle response will not be as sharp as with the 5-speed computer, but will work. Is this right?

I only need to get this car through one more damn emissions inspection, then I don't care. I'll swap in the 5-speed computer to improve performance, and pull the CEL light. I won't even begin to mess with EGR.

Thanks!

JD

So what I think I'm hearing is to leave the AOD computer in the car to avoid the CEL. Throttle response will not be as sharp as with the 5-speed computer, but will work. Is this right?

I only need to get this car through one more damn emissions inspection, then I don't care. I'll swap in the 5-speed computer to improve performance, and pull the CEL light. I won't even begin to mess with EGR.

Thanks!

JD

Also, I posted in the "Wanted" forum for one or two NOS or nice used clutch/brake pedal pads, but haven't gotten much response. Don't know if anyone is looking there very often.

Can someone hook me up with one or two? My parts car has one that is marginal, and one that is junk.

Thanks,

JD

If you bypass the clutch positioning switch I think it should work. I did the swap on mine with a 93 but I swapped the EEC. You'd never know it started out as an automatic!

Hey Evan since you will not return any calls or text

Where are my parts or my money ????

I should have known better huh ???

Too bad you burned a good bridge !!!

Angelo 954-548-1496 if you wanna make things right

Back