Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member/SC Owner From Northern CA

New Member/SC Owner From Northern CA

Hello all! New member here in CA. I recently picked up my first SC. It's an 89 5 speed. Picked it up for only $450. It's been sitting many years and is pretty rough. Fortunately only 119k miles. Clutch, master cylinder, & tires all had less than 100 miles on them when I bought it. It's been a steep learning curve thus far & Ive been getting a lot of info from you guys here by searching the forums.

Plans are to restore it to much better condition, daily drive it, & mod it(goal is 12's). I live close to sea level, so getting boosted cars into the 12's isn't that hard. I'm thinking full exhaust, aeromotive 340lph in tank pump, intake, 90mm maf, 70mm t/b, blower hat, intercooler fans, injectors, blower pulley, slicks & possibly e85 to get there. Which brings me to wonder how well these EEC's deal with mods. I know my 93 Mustang 5.0 computer handles mods pretty well(meaning it didn't wig out and act crazy with tons of mods), so I'm hoping this will be the same.

So far I've put on a ton of new parts,
    New oil/filter, coolant, thermostat, radiator cap, coolant sensor, coolant sender, egr vacuum solenoid, starter solenoid, ever start extreme 850/1000 ca battery, all new fuses with led illumination when blown, fuel filter, o2 sensors, autolite double platinum plugs, plug wires, alternator, trunk lock, transmission fluid, rear axle oil, completely bled the brakes & clutch with dot 4 synthetic, air filter, etc & scored on some much needed stuff from pick n pull.

Last edited by Xounlistedxox; 01-26-2014 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Adding pix/info

Welcome - good luck w/the car.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Welcome - good luck w/the car.

Ken
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm new to the sc, but not new to cars in general. They're basically all fairly similar just different names & locations of parts. I plan on putting this car back on the road soon, then modding it, & giving it lots of tlc

Quote Originally Posted by Xounlistedxox View Post
    They're basically all fairly similar just different names & locations of parts.
    Yes and no...

I think you'll find the electronics on this car a learning experience. And while parts aren't that hard to find still, aftermarket stuff is another story.

Get a factory manual and EVTM, fix the hinges in those doors and don't forget to smile when it finally comes around.

About locations - if you haven't already, see this thread:
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...ponent+Locator
    Last edited by KMT; 01-08-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Yes and no...

I think you'll find the electronics on this car a learning experience. And while parts aren't that hard to find still, aftermarket stuff is another story.

Get a factory manual and EVTM, fix the hinges in those doors and don't forget to smile when it finally comes around.

About locations - if you haven't already, see this thread:
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...ponent+Locator
    I picked up a chilton and Haynes manual, have the ford obd1 tester, several digital meters, and I've been learning about the fun stuff this car has to offer.

The main problem I'm finding with after market parts since I live in CA is that there are basically none that are carb certified for these cars.

I picked up a chilton and Haynes manual, have the ford obd1 tester, several digital meters, and I've been learning about the fun stuff this car has to offer.

The main problem I'm finding with after market parts since I live in CA is that there are basically none that are carb certified for these cars.
    Chilton and Haynes will work for most things, but the factory service manual and EVTM have so much more information. You can usually find used copies on here or Ebay, or you can buy a new copy from Helms.

Good Luck with your car.
    Kurt K (e-mail)
    SCCoA Member #: 443
    '92 SC AOD -- 11.521s @ 116.748mph, 2.0 AR power
    . . . . . . . . . -- 13.547s @ 101.01 mph, only w/ bolt-ons
    '95 SC 5spd -- All Stock, except 17" Simmons wheels.
    '90 SC 35th Anny 5spd -- 3rd owner, 16k miles
    2 '89 XR7 5spd's -- on their way out, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt K View Post
    Chilton and Haynes will work for most things, but the factory service manual and EVTM have so much more information. You can usually find used copies on here or Ebay, or you can buy a new copy from Helms.

Good Luck with your car.
    I've never owned a factory service manual before. I checked out ebay. Looks like there are a few put out by ford. Recommendations?

The 4" thick binder factory manual for your year car:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Ford-Th...205823&vxp=mtr

And the soft bound factory EVTM for your year car:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Ford-Th...df38cc&vxp=mtr

Factory manuals are great. So what plans do you have for the Thunderchicken?

Welcome to the forum I live in burlingame myself and have two 35th sc's and the ford manuals so let me know if you need anything. Good luck!
    My Garage
    35th Anniversary Auto 380.97hp 456ft./lbs TQ
    35th Anniversary Manual Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jjklongisland View Post
    Factory manuals are great. So what plans do you have for the Thunderchicken?
    I'm going to daily drive it, restore it, and try to go 12's without spending a million bucks

Quote Originally Posted by SCDan35thANV View Post
    Welcome to the forum I live in burlingame myself and have two 35th sc's and the ford manuals so let me know if you need anything. Good luck!
    There's a 35th ann. For sale for $350 with a blown head gasket out here. I thought about buying that one before this one, but this one runs/drives and only 119k miles, new clutch, new master cylinder, new tires etc

There's a 35th ann. For sale for $350 with a blown head gasket out here. I thought about buying that one before this one, but this one runs/drives and only 119k miles, new clutch, new master cylinder, new tires etc
    if you could send me the details that would be awesome. I don't need another one but always like to look and see if it has any parts I might want or need.
    My Garage
    35th Anniversary Auto 380.97hp 456ft./lbs TQ
    35th Anniversary Manual Stock

Quote Originally Posted by SCDan35thANV View Post
    if you could send me the details that would be awesome. I don't need another one but always like to look and see if it has any parts I might want or need.
    It was posted on sacramento craigslist, I just looked & it's no longer there

Awsome man! I have a friend out there with a fast Mark VIII. He had problems too with Calis insane environmental laws. It can be done, but I think you have to know somebody sometimes.
    1994 Mk VIII in RCOH
    1990 Cougar XR7 - ALIVE! 325RWHP at current tune
    1981 Rabbit 1.6D + K03 50-60mpg