Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Member/SC Owner From Northern CA

Quote Originally Posted by HwyStar View Post
    Awsome man! I have a friend out there with a fast Mark VIII. He had problems too with Calis insane environmental laws. It can be done, but I think you have to know somebody sometimes.
    I was going to buy a mark viii last year, but all the bags were broke and it had several parkingbtickets, so I wound up passing it up. I have the same problem with my srt as far as smog goes. I think i can get away with several mods fairly easily. Fuel pump, blower hat, intercooler, 94/95 exhaust manifolds, late model blower, maf, injectors, e85 etc

Don't waste money on the sc top, instead use it towards a magnum powers inlet when you switch to the 2nd gen m90. And if the head gaskets haven't been done yet, save some cash because they're going to blow soon.
    Last edited by 99GSXR750; 01-11-2014 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 99GSXR750 View Post
    Don't waste money on the sc top, instead use it towards a magnum powers inlet when you switch to the 2nd gen m90. And if the head gaskets haven't been done yet, save some cash because they're going to blow soon.
    There are many high dollar work orders that came with this car including brand new tires $838, new clutch & master cylinder $1,000+, reseal supercharger piping $300+, but none that say head gasket repair. Do you think even at factory performance levels and being adult driven it's still likely to pop a head gasket soon?

No reason to think that, I feel.

Put some miles on it, monitor the cooling system and worry later when you start to add hp and stress. Those hot Sacto. summers won't help, tho

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    No reason to think that, I feel.

Put some miles on it, monitor the cooling system and worry later when you start to add hp and stress. Those hot Sacto. summers won't help, tho
    Ya, it seems like it runs a bit warm right now. The cooling fan works, but it doesn't come on until the temp gauge reads about 3/4 of the way towards hot. I changed the temp sensor & temp sender & it still does the same thing. I know the coolant moves around via the thermostat since I get heat inside, and can see when it starts & stops moving via the overflow bottle. I'm wondering if the dash gauge is just off? The actual surface temperature of the radiator stays around 180* while running. I use my laser thermometer to check temps all over the engine while it was running. The hottest spot was of course the exhaust manifolds. Other than those, the engine was all under 200*

Sounds all normal.

I'd invest in a fresh new cap tho - straight 16#.

Watch the upper hose to be sure it doesn't collapse with an overnite cool down - if it does, the tube to the overflow tank is blocked, but you said the level goes up/down, so that should be ok.

Look around the top/front of the engine to see if you can tell if any gasket changes, non-factory adhesives, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    Sounds all normal.

I'd invest in a fresh new cap tho - straight 16#.

Watch the upper hose to be sure it doesn't collapse with an overnite cool down - if it does, the tube to the overflow tank is blocked, but you said the level goes up/down, so that should be ok.

Look around the top/front of the engine to see if you can tell if any gasket changes, non-factory adhesives, etc.
    Picked up a new cap today. Runs a little cooler. I planned on doing that anyway, but thanks for the suggestion

sounds like ive found the northern cali thunderbird guys finally. I am in Stockton and commute to sac everyday. I have a 95 sc 5 speed I have been restoring for the past year or so now. nice to someone else in the area doing the same!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by mhaddad87 View Post
    sounds like ive found the northern cali thunderbird guys finally. I am in Stockton and commute to sac everyday. I have a 95 sc 5 speed I have been restoring for the past year or so now. nice to someone else in the area doing the same!
    Looks good! Much cleaner than my pile, but for the low price & a 5 speed I'm more than happy to have mine. All my friends think I'm crazy since I have so many other vehicles already, but oh well. I'm daily driving the tbird and having fun with it.

Welcome to the SCCOA! I see that you are in NOR-CAL and I am in SO-CAL. I guess you can say that we are neighbors

Your SC looks really good for the price. From what I see on your pictures you have no body damage which is a great foundation. I only see small work here and there to make her an awesome SC.

I don't know if you have visited your NOR-CAL chapter, but post to see who is around you and they should be able to help you move some wrenches.

Quote Originally Posted by Xounlistedxox View Post
    Looks good! Much cleaner than my pile, but for the low price & a 5 speed I'm more than happy to have mine. All my friends think I'm crazy since I have so many other vehicles already, but oh well. I'm daily driving the tbird and having fun with it.
    I know what you mean. I have had my fair share of garage and driveway ornaments too. I love this car though, has a lot of great qualities, I cant wait to put it back on the road. I suppose I could just put it on the street now and do my upgrades with time. maybe sometime this summer we could have a meet?

Quote Originally Posted by mhaddad87 View Post
    I know what you mean. I have had my fair share of garage and driveway ornaments too. I love this car though, has a lot of great qualities, I cant wait to put it back on the road. I suppose I could just put it on the street now and do my upgrades with time. maybe sometime this summer we could have a meet?
    Ya, that was my focus, put it on the road first, do mods later. This car has needed so much fixing it's actually starting to wear on me a bit. If I still have it when you have yours on the road most likely I'll be up for a meet