Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Suspension

Noisy Suspension

1993 SC

Okay so I just got this car (ebay). Upon driving it the front suspension is noisy as all get out. You can hear every bounce up and down and rattle.

So I guessing the shocks are probally done for. What would a good replacement be since I heard the originals arn't in production at this time.

Also do these cars have spring Isolators like a Mustang? Like I said really bad noise everytime you hit a bump.

Typical noise makers:

• Upper control arms
    • Lower control arms
    • Sway bar end links
    • Upper shock mounts
    • Tie rod ends
    • Strut rod bushings

See if any have grease fittings, and if so, load them up and see if that helps. This will also give you a chance to get the front end off the ground so you can push/pull etc., while looking for anything begging for attention.

...issue with shocks these days is no one has the SC ARC style in stock.

Well I am pretty sure that these shocks are going to have to go. I guess I will just have to buy a manual adjust or something that is firm all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by KMT View Post
    This will also give you a chance to get the front end off the ground so you can push/pull etc.,
    A question on this.. My driver rear tire has some play in it. No others move while pushing/pulling. What would cause this?

• Wheel bearing (most likely I think)
    • Control arm bushings upper U/lower H
    • Cracked wheel
    • Loose lug nuts

See: http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.php

Does anyone sell a front bushing kit for the 93?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt764 View Post
    Does anyone sell a front bushing kit for the 93?
    Raybestos Pro Grade UCA/LCA, AC Delco sway bar end links, and Ford strut rod bushings.

Shocks are limited until Tokiko gets production in the US ramped back up.

But yes, you can buy UCA and LCA to subframe bushings. However, the ball joints are critical - and by the time you buy bushings and ball joints for the LCAs, you've bought new LCAs with the bushings and joints installed!

The UCA doesn't normally have a servicable ball joint (the Raybestos Pro Grade units do), so it's not at all smart to swap out just the bushings.

AC Delco's sway bar end links are captivated for the caps - most production is not, so the joint keeps being exposed to the elements, causing early failure.

Moog - said brand now owned by Federal Mogul - is now just "What can we buy and toss in the box?" according to a gent on the Facebook page (may be the TCCoA page). He got one side the good Moog parts, one side the cheap Chinee crap, all in Moog boxes. Erp.

If you can find TRW and/or Motorcraft, use those for the UCA and LCA. But the Raybestos has a large ball joint, is of a decent quality, and ... is what it says when you open the box.

RwP

thanks for the info

1993 SC

Okay so I just got this car (ebay). Upon driving it the front suspension is noisy as all get out. You can hear every bounce up and down and rattle.

So I guessing the shocks are probally done for. What would a good replacement be since I heard the originals arn't in production at this time.

Also do these cars have spring Isolators like a Mustang? Like I said really bad noise everytime you hit a bump.
    If it makes a scrunching sound similar to ice shifting around in a cooler every time you hit a bump or dip in the road, and it's louder when outside temps are low, it is most likely the upper control arm bushings.

This is a very common failure and it's easier to replace the entire upper control arm assembly, that includes new bushings and upper ball joints than to mess with individual components, and last time I looked they were only about $40 per side. It's not very difficult to replace them and it doesn't require a realignment. Here is a link from Autozone showing the part. Note; There is a separate part number for Driver and Passenger sides.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...14136_0_171485

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Quick rattly bumping noises are usually the sway bar end links. Try checking those for looseness (and everything else!) before you start buying anything.

These cars drive like a DREAM when properly maintained.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Car still rides good, and steering is tight, just sounds like a couple of hippos having fun on an old box spring bed. LOL

Let me ask something, I needing strut rod bushing and ball joints (been compromised and aged but still safe), as for LCA is there going to be a noticeable difference by not having the SC specific bushing or should new ones be better than 20y/o SC one? Looking at swapping whole LCA since it has to come off anyway.

Upon searching for parts online, I'm coming up with LCA that say not for "Auto Leveling Suspension and/or Auto Adjusting Ride". Then there are some brands that just don't mention this at all, but none say for Auto Ride. Any idea what the diff. is?

Upon searching for parts online, I'm coming up with LCA that say not for "Auto Leveling Suspension and/or Auto Adjusting Ride". Then there are some brands that just don't mention this at all, but none say for Auto Ride. Any idea what the diff. is?
    No difference.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by bowez View Post
    Let me ask something, I needing strut rod bushing and ball joints (been compromised and aged but still safe), as for LCA is there going to be a noticeable difference by not having the SC specific bushing or should new ones be better than 20y/o SC one? Looking at swapping whole LCA since it has to come off anyway.
    I would say it depends on the condition of your original bushings, but the originals are most likely cracked and soft by now anyway.

I think you can feel the difference if you are paying attention. Not totally bad, but a little less responsive.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds: