Need Help - Speed Sensitive Steering

Will provide update. Here is a pic of the ARC Module opened up with a red circle around the two suspect capacitors and replacements from Radio Shack (the OEM Caps are rated at 105C whereas the Radio Shack caps are only 85C but given this modules rides in the trunk it shouldn't be an issue):

ARC Module.jpg

Typically, you can do a visual inspection to see if they have bulged/cracked and/or leaked.

You can also desolder and check them off the board (caution) to help troubleshoot issues with the overall circuit, ( http://www.electricaltechnology.org/2013/06/how-to-check-capacitor-with-digital.html ), but by the time you do that, you might as well just swap them out. It might be easier to swap in another module at that point, assuming you can get your hands on one.

Those were the same caps that failed on my board. 100µF 50V 105°C for the larger one and 22µF 25V 105°C for the two smaller ones.

You MUST Reseal the leads on the capacitors or you still get faults, with high humidity. I used clear RTV.

The explanation I was giving was the Radioshack Caps are not as high tolerance as the OEM ones, DigiTech could be a source for higher quailty.

Update: Replaced capacitors and now everything works perfectly! :)

ARC properly engages "Firm Ride" under acceleration, braking, and cornering, as well as with the console switch. The power steering now has good boost at low speeds and properly reduces boost at faster speeds.

Total repair cost = $3.16 :D

So I opened my ARC module and everything thing ok I guess. No bulges or leaking. I then switched the arc module with one I got from another member of the forum and still no firm steering. So just to recap, replaced my EVO valve and also my ARC module and steering does not firm up when speed increases. I am no officially confused as to what the next step is. My firm handling seams to work its just my steering. I hate the way the darn thing drives without the firmness...

Firm ride seams to work just fine. Engages in auto mode under hard acceleration, steering and braking and works fine when forced in FIRM. Its just for some reason the EVO orifice isnt controlling tighter steering. The manual refers to some Star??? tester. Dont know what that is? Would I need it to do the OHM tests

The original STAR testers were just code readers AFAIK. You can buy a modern one for your car for less than $50 these days. Great tool for any SC owner and not that difficult to use.

Code: 52 O,R Power Steering Pressure Switch circuit open

See this page for a full list of codes and details on which are SC-specific [ http://www.njtacc.com/tech/eec_codes.html ]

Thread update... for anyone who cares I finally go the speed sensitive steering back working... It is so awesome to drive her now at highway speed... I am so happy. It turns out when I was changing my fan the other day and searching the fuse box for power my buddy pointed out a female plug unplugged. I thought that was odd and he searched around for a few minutes and found the male end jammed under the battery. Looks like my mechanic never plugged it back in many months ago when I did the timing cover gasket... It only cost me hours of trouble shooting, the cost of a replacement ride control module, replacement of EVO valve and lots of frustration... Wait until I give him an earful... :mad::mad::mad:

Lesson learned... test the voltages first and make sure you have power to the components... :eek::eek::eek:

Importnant Lesson #1 learned as well...
Your mechanic, no matter how good, does not like working on these cars and probably does not know as much about them as he thinks either!! ;)

Ira

Importnant Lesson #1 learned as well...
Your mechanic, no matter how good, does not like working on these cars and probably does not know as much about them as he thinks either!! ;)

Ira

He openly admits he hates working on my car... lol... Unfortunately he is all I got. Its hard to find someone you can trust. Plus unless its a Chevy in his book its just another pile of crap...

He openly admits he hates working on my car... lol... Unfortunately he is all I got. Its hard to find someone you can trust. Plus unless its a Chevy in his book its just another pile of crap...

You need a new mechanic. The kind of quality of repair with leaving things unplugged and stuffed under the batt show chevy quality work. I say leave him to it, some people will just never learn. Find a Ford guy and you'll b happier

Adam

Back