Public Service Announcement: Rear Upper Control Arm to Subframe Bushings

racecougar

An issue has recently come to light that I felt warranted documenting and spreading the word about. It seems that in addition to the original design of the rear upper control arm to subframe bushings there is also a flawed design that's been infiltrating the market over the past few years. Both designs have shown up in the same packaging, under the same part numbers, through multiple brands. The only way to be certain you're receiving the correct part is to open the box(es) prior to payment and verifying visually.

This is the bushing you DON'T want to install:

Those consist of a metal core with a off-center, elliptical, hole inside a metal sleeve which is rubber bonded to an outer shell. Turning the inner core via the bolt allows for camber adjustment, however with the sleeve bonded to the outer shell, the control arm can't move without winding up the bushing. Whoever designed/manufactured the bushing either didn't grasp or simply disregarded the original, correct design; something that seems to happen all to often when it comes to aftermarket parts. Installing these bushings results in a relatively harsh ride and very limited rear suspension travel.

These are the bushings you DO want to install (original design):

These allow camber adjustment and full range of motion without windup, just as they should.

Be wary of poorly designed/manufactured parts out there, folks!

Be wary of poorly designed/manufactured parts out there, folks![/QUOTE]

Just got back from Federated, these r what you get in the Moog boxes :mad:
Autozone shows the correct picture, but have to special order and pay upfront. Gonna try NAPA.

Adam

Super Coupe Performance has always sold the proper type bushing that allows the inner section to pivot relative to the shell. These come with a 3-year warranty, as does all our suspension bushings and control arms. Here is a pic of our current stock.

We would love to earn your business.

thumbBuilder.ashx

SEE THIS LINK to this item on the SCP site.

Well S***! :mad:

Just ran all over town trying to get these. Been thru Bill's site MANY times, never saw them. :rolleyes:

These are the bushings you get from NAPA ($62), BUT....

Bill is $22 CHEAPER!!!! Support your SCCoA vendors! :D

Will be sending you an order shortly Bill

Thanks

Adam

Upper RCA bushings ...

Just an FYI ... I purchased the correct upper inner rear control arm bushings from Summit Racing - part number MOG-K8588 for $34.97 each.

When the woman I spoke with at Summit asked if there's anything else, I said, "Yeah, give me a Summit t-shirt." They sent the t-shirt free with my order. (T-shirt number SUM-P13003)

Eddie Donato
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 auto SC stock (except for a double intercooler with fan)

Just an FYI ... I purchased the correct upper inner rear control arm bushings from Summit Racing - part number MOG-K8588 for $34.97 each.

When the woman I spoke with at Summit asked if there's anything else, I said, "Yeah, give me a Summit t-shirt." They sent the t-shirt free with my order. (T-shirt number SUM-P13003)

Eddie Donato
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 auto SC stock (except for a double intercooler with fan)

Eddie,

That isn't the bushing we are talking about.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mog-k8588/overview/

Looks like the bushing that goes in the knuckle where it attaches to the upper control arm.

This is the Moog bushing part number (Moog # K8562) for the upper control arm to subframe. Problem is, you don't always get the right part under that moog #. BTW, Summit doesn't show a listing for this part.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...google&utm_campaign=gpla&utm_content=20517417

I suggest just buying them from SCP (Bill Evanoff) since they are know to work correctly and are more reasonably priced than most other places.

David

Yep, that isn't the bushing being discussed here. Moog K8588 is the knuckle to upper control arm bushing, and RockAuto lists them for less.

Sorry ...

Yep, that isn't the bushing being discussed here. Moog K8588 is the knuckle to upper control arm bushing, and RockAuto lists them for less.

Sorry - y'all are right. I jumped in with info about the wrong bushing. The ones I replaced were the upper knuckle bushings.

Eddie Donato
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 automatic SC stock (except for double intercooler with fan)

Yeah - have to admit to being wrong. I just remember one was centered and one was not... wished there was a way to get those photos. I was going to use the thread over at TCCOA to rebuild my lower control arms (if I could) instead of buying new.

Yeah - have to admit to being wrong. I just remember one was centered and one was not... wished there was a way to get those photos. I was going to use the thread over at TCCOA to rebuild my lower control arms (if I could) instead of buying new.

Front or rear lower?

RwP

Concensus is to just buy new ACDelco Professional Grade or Raybestos Pro Grade; both bushings and a ball joint of high quality can be $75 but the whole dang arm is about $50.

I'd also do the OTHER side at the same time; it's the same age after all.

RwP

Back