Garage Lifts...Opinions and advice

I didn't really plan on using it for storage, but the '96 sits beneath the '93 right now since #1 son has half the garage for temporary storage. It's not bolted down but my floor is near perfect level.

It takes a different approach to do some work but it is heads and tails above creepers and jackstands. ;)

Sure wish I had thought to lay down a perimeter of cinderblocks to elevate my 8' ceiling to 9 or 10', would have made everything soooo much easier.

Nice looking garage driller!

Thanks, the ceiling height is just short of 11' - room enough for full extension of the lift with the car lifted off the ramps with both rolling jacks. I specifically requested the additional height knowing there would someday be a lift in there. :)

My biggest challenge to date was dropping the exhaust and gas tank out from under the car while it was on the lift. The rolling jacks obviously were very helpful. With the exhaust, I used the jacks as temporary supports, lowered the exhaust onto a section of pipe spanning the runways, then lowered the lift and used the pipe and furniture dollies to roll the exhaust out the rear of the lift. The rolling jacks were a godsend lowering/raising the gas tank. I placed jackstands on the jack tray under the front and then raised the rear with one rolling jack while the other was free to use on the gas tank. That gave me enough room to slide the tank out the side once the lift was on the floor.

You have to think outside of the box and plan two steps ahead, but there are very few jobs you cannot accomplish with the four-post lift versus a two-post lift. Being able to park two cars in one space is a huge bonus, even if you have a two car garage. ;)

I ended up purchasing the 2-post MaxJax. It fit the bill in terms of storage and accessibility in my multi-function garage. I also think it will provide the best access with the plans I have for my current build and my fleet of vehicles. I was able to get it new for cheaper than what was listed by online vendors by doing a little haggling. :) Free shipping to my business made it an all around decent deal.

I'll post some pictures when it comes in and once it's installed.

Nice what did you get it for? Let me know what you think of it when you get it and use it.

$2k delivered. About $500 more than a floor plate two post lift, but you pay more for the "portable" aspect. It just arrived on a 900lb pallet a few minutes ago. I'll have to break it down and install it soon. I'll take pictures and document it once I start the install.

$2k delivered. About $500 more than a floor plate two post lift, but you pay more for the "portable" aspect. It just arrived on a 900lb pallet a few minutes ago. I'll have to break it down and install it soon. I'll take pictures and document it once I start the install.

Nice, can't wait to have mine some day, super jelly.

Here is a guy on that garage forum who just installed his with pictures. A good tip that I read on another thread about these lifts is to bleed the air out, make sure you raise the lift until its at its highest point then open the bleeder on top and bleed the air out of both sides. repeat this until no air comes out on either side and it should level itself out. Can't find that thread right now, but I'll post it here when I find it.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237093

What column spacing (distance) are you guys with MaxJax users using for the tbirds.

Any SC + MaxJax pics out there?

Back