Tuning session with Dave Dalke

LOL... I moved the '96 from underneath the '93 just as it started snowing yesterday evening.

I awoke to a solid 4" snow covering the '96 outside the garage. :eek:

With any luck, it will be melted off the trailer tomorrow. :)

It's been raining down here, not alot but enough. I just want the roads to be dry in case we have to do a little "street tuning".............:eek:

You shouldn't need tires. Rob street tunes mine too. Just look out for stray dogs and other wildlife. Nothing will ruin your day like a dog running in front of the car during a pull. I was told this happened once when my car was being tuned. Fortunatly the dog made it out of the way in time. :eek:

Good luck!!!! Sounds like a whole lotta fun! I am sure it feels great knowing that it will be tuned properly and sounds like you will have it at the track soon too.

We don't do pulls on the street. I think Keith is just talking about basic drivability manners.

My name isn't Corey..................:eek:

But yeah Dave's right, even at slow speed my car hits the gears hard and if it's wet I might lose control and spin..............:eek:

How long does it take to tune 2 cars?

Wheres the live updates?
Ha, funny guy. All top dogs know that Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are fast SuperCoupes. We made a lot of progress but the journey continues. No HP #'s at this time.

When Dave first got here he was looking over my install of the blower kit. He liked what he saw except for how I had relocated the temp sensor for the ECU due to new fuel line routing, it was causing it to read way lower than the actually water temp causing hard start ups once it was warm. This in turn probably fouled the plugs a bit but it wasn't noticed until the car was on the dyno in the upper rpm ranges. So by this time, for one I didn't have any plugs with me and for two there wasn't enough time left on the dyno rental to go get them and install then tune some more so we had to call it a day, never even got to playing with the nitrous. Dave never had the chance to put some timing in it so I believe there's still quite a bit left on the table. I believe with 20 degrees of timing it made 383.3 rwhp with ignition (spark) issues. The boost at 10% OD was 20 lbs. so I had a 5% jackshaft pulley so I put it on and it went up to 22 lbs. but magnified the spark issue so the power went down. I'm changing plugs at the moment and after pulling the passenger side the #2 cylinder was pretty black, #1 & #3 didn't look bad, I'll get to the drivers side next. Anyways after I change the plugs and re-orient the temp. sensor to work correctly I'll take it for a spin and see how it does then I head back to the dyno, put some timing in it and see what happens.

Finished changing the plugs plus gapping them down to .028" from .032" and except for #2 they didn't look bad imo.

Last edited:
Keith,

This is how it usually goes when sorting out a new combo. BTW, What plugs are you using ? I've had real good results with XP103s gapped to .030. Are you using an onboard wideband and the one from the dyno to compare readings ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith,

This is how it usually goes when sorting out a new combo. BTW, What plugs are you using ? I've had real good results with XP103s gapped to .030. Are you using an onboard wideband and the one from the dyno to compare readings ?

David
I run Autolite 103's gapped @ .032" but now gapped @ .028". Yes, both AFR reading were looked at and compared.

Another thing that made the trip a good one was that Dave talked to the shop owner/tuner, Brent, and gave him some info on the QH so that when I'm ready I can have him add some timing. Brent's a Ford guy and tunes some 8-9 sec cars including his own Mustang but he wasn't familiar with our platform. Dave let him know that the QH is great for tuning Fox bodies so maybe he'll get into and then I'll have a local guy to help me out.

Last edited by nickleman60; Today at 12:54 PM.

Back