Cutting coil springs

kenewagner

I have taken so much weight off the front end of the car that I now have a huge gap in the fender wheel to tire. I have the 1.5" lowering springs on the car now. My plan is to cut down a set of stock coils to bring the front end down to where it was when I had the chunk of iron setting over the engine called a supercharger. I need to lower it about 2". With an already 1.5" drop from lowering springs and 2 more inches, that would 3.5" lower than stock spring height. How many coils to cut off to acheive that. Is my math faulty? Anyone guess? Funny thing is I have to put a set of stock springs on in the rear to gain 1.5 inches. I will be doing the rear first to see if anything changes on the front.

Ken

I'm going to guess about 1.5 or 2 coils to get down where you need to be. I would start with 1 coil though and then go from there. You can always cut more, but you can't add any back. Also a little trick, once you have cut 1 coil out of the spring, you can assemble and dis-assemble the spring and shock on the car without a spring compressor, just use a jack under the LCA and the weight of the car to compress the spring, and leave the top mount bolted in place and just loosen/tighten the center nut on the top of the shock.

I'm going to guess about 1.5 or 2 coils to get down where you need to be. I would start with 1 coil though and then go from there. You can always cut more, but you can't add any back. Also a little trick, once you have cut 1 coil out of the spring, you can assemble and dis-assemble the spring and shock on the car without a spring compressor, just use a jack under the LCA and the weight of the car to compress the spring, and leave the top mount bolted in place and just loosen/tighten the center nut on the top of the shock.

One coil would equal about 1" or a little better? yeh a little at a time is probably best

Ken

Ken,

You need to do the rear springs first, because when you increase rear ride height it will lower the front. After you do the rear, then you can decide how much height you still need to remove from the front.

David

Ken,

You need to do the rear springs first, because when you increase rear ride height it will lower the front. After you do the rear, then you can decide how much height you still need to remove from the front.

David

I am having the uber, super duper Supercoupe Unlimited bushings:D installed in the rear along with the stock height springs. Once done I will look and see if I have any drop on the front. Guess I better locate some stock fronts next. Time to check with my source down south for a set of them. I am sure you are right on the front dropping a little

Ken

Go slow. When I cut my rear springs, I cut 1/4 coil at at time, put it back together, drove around the block to settle it, lather, rinse, repeat until it was where I wanted. Yeah, it took forever, but it was easier than adding a coil back.

I am having the uber, super duper Supercoupe Unlimited bushings:D installed in the rear along with the stock height springs. Once done I will look and see if I have any drop on the front. Guess I better locate some stock fronts next. Time to check with my source down south for a set of them. I am sure you are right on the front dropping a little

Ken

On mine the front drops about equal to the increase in height on the rear, for the first inch or so then it's less. Easy to test if you have air bags.

David

On mine the front drops about equal to the increase in height on the rear, for the first inch or so then it's less. Easy to test if you have air bags.

David

I dont have air bags. If the stock springs dont bring the rear up I am pretty sure I will have to install them to get the height I want

Ken

I should get the rear springs installed soon to see if I gain some much needed clearance. I bought a set of stock front springs to cut down. This is a picture of the front clearance I have with all the supercharger weight removed. The front has 1.5" lowered springs on it and one can see how much lower it needs to go

Ken

Attachments

• Wheel well.JPG
    Wheel well.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 482
Hey ken - did you ever end up cutting your front springs? I'm getting ready to cut some non-sc springs a second time and just trying to get a good idea how much more if might need to take off the front. Got the back just right the first time, front still sits a little high though.

I wonder if you measure the COMPRESSED spring when attempting to lower the car is the right way to do it. If you want to drop it two inches and cut off however many compressed coils = 2" of current ride height, it seems like that might give you a conservative estimate.

Hey ken - did you ever end up cutting your front springs? I'm getting ready to cut some non-sc springs a second time and just trying to get a good idea how much more if might need to take off the front. Got the back just right the first time, front still sits a little high though.

I wonder if you measure the COMPRESSED spring when attempting to lower the car is the right way to do it. If you want to drop it two inches and cut off however many compressed coils = 2" of current ride height, it seems like that might give you a conservative estimate.

It will settle a little after a few days of driving so keep this in mind! also dont tightnen UCA bolts until wieght is on the car 1.5 coils in the front and one in the rear was perfect for me

It will settle a little after a few days of driving so keep this in mind! also dont tightnen UCA bolts until wieght is on the car 1.5 coils in the front and one in the rear was perfect for me

I need DIMENSIONZ! :)

I cut another half coil off the front but haven't driven it yet to let the suspension relax...I think it will end up about right +1/2" (or less) more than the back with the stereo in there.

These springs are supposed to be Eibachs that were off a MarkVIII with the spring conversion. They have a stiffer spring rate than the typial lowering eibachs, but I didn't have an "initial ride height" to go off of. I got lucky and got the back right on the first try, the front were too high the first time and maybe about right the second time. Anyway, the stiffer springs feel great, hoping I don't have to take the struts off again though. :)

Ken,
I have my springs cut and I have done this to every SC I have owned.
Personally, I think the car is at a great stance and handles better when I cut them. I have not experienced any of the traditional issues cut springs usually have with other cars.

I chop 2 coils in front and 1 1/2 in rears.

Back