Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Tokico Illumina Thread

2014 Tokico Illumina Thread

So I've been working lately to track down some shocks and struts that are ARC compatible for my 1994 SC. I emailed Tokico customer support and they sent me a contact for the distributor. Josh at Hitachi informed me that they will have a batch ready for sale in April. They are building the 5 position adjustable Illuminas that others in this forum have used with success on our ARC setup. Josh then sent me a contact for one of their retailers that wants to work with us.

Dewey at HTmotorsports.com is interested in giving us a group deal in April. Here's the link to the listing on their website -> http://thmotorsports.com/tokico/toki...s/g-50358.aspx

Dewey has advised us to wait on ordering until April when they arrive. I will stay in contact with Dewey and post here when it's "go time" to order. If you're interested in being part of the group deal on these please post here.

Scott J - Oregon

5 position?

ARC uses 2 position shocks.

Illuminas for different model cars have been produced that use 5 adjustable positions. They must be manually adjusted at each shock tower with a tool.

If we switch to the 5 position shocks, our 2 position ARC will no longer work.

I just want to be sure if these are OEM replacements as before, or if they are a modification.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Are these the 2-position ARC-specific units that came with the unrelated 5-position cap? http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...325#post786325

Does this mean just that one vendor will have them or will all the others that are waiting will have a shot too? Did they admit to any pricing yet?

They are building the 5 position adjustable Illuminas that others in this forum have used with success on our ARC setup.
    Do you have links about that?

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...et-of-4/page16

It was my impression that the 5 position shocks would work and be somewhat adjustable. Perhaps I have not read enough and or am misinformed. Perhaps I need to go out to the shop and read my factory manual a few more times... I apologize if I got a lot of hopes up. I thought the link above spoke to a solution using the 5 position shocks/struts.

Quote Originally Posted by potshotscott View Post
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthre...et-of-4/page16

It was my impression that the 5 position shocks would work and be somewhat adjustable. Perhaps I have not read enough and or am misinformed. Perhaps I need to go out to the shop and read my factory manual a few more times... I apologize if I got a lot of hopes up. I thought the link above spoke to a solution using the 5 position shocks/struts.
    It sounds like Tokico was shipping the 2-position (OEM type that works with the ARC), but including a cap from the 5-position adjustable units. Maybe just a bit of confusion on their end?

I don't know if the 5-position ones were ever available for the Thunderbird. Not sure.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Mazza View Post
    I don't know if the 5-position ones were ever available for the Thunderbird. Not sure.
    Never in terms of OEM. The stock units are 2-position and that's it - it's all the ARC could control.

Now if the 5 position has the same mechnical connections as the 2-position, then yes - the ARC could conceivably control them and change between two of the five settings, but there'd be no way to set it up properly between all four shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat DiPersia View Post
    Never in terms of OEM. The stock units are 2-position and that's it - it's all the ARC could control.
    Yes, I know. I am saying, I know Tokico made 5-position aftermarket shocks for other models. I don't think they ever made them for the MN12 Thunderbird. It would seem odd to do so, since the 2-position system was already built in. Still, it probably only requires 1 or 2 different components to do so.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:

Question

I'm interested, but has he given an approx price and date yet?
    These will fit all 89-95 sc with ARC right?

Any updates on these for availability? I'm interested and ready to pickup a full set if they are.

Am ready to purchase

Is there an update as to when Tokico will be shipping Illumina II shocks?

Not happy with Tokico

I don't know about you all, but my IL-2s are sh(*)t. I am not at all happy with a shock that lasts only 30,000 miles. I have 2 different full sets of IL2s on 2 of my SCs which were brand new. The red car.. shocks went to sh(*)t after about maybe 30,000 miles?? I believe both rear shocks are gone and the LF is shot.. you can tell by the SLAM!! over the smallest of bumps.. AND the rapid boing-boing-boing wheel shimmy vibration at around 70 on the freeway.

OEM shock.. good to almost 90,000 miles.

I like the Arc feature, but if this is the best Tokico can offer, I'm throwing in the towel, with 1 finger, and going with ANYTHING that will give me a good ride and will hold up. I don't drive my black car enough to have formed an opinion, but those seem to be OK still.
    Last edited by TbirdSCFan; 04-16-2014 at 01:39 PM.

2 more months

I just e-mailed Dewey at THMotorsports.com, He said these won't be available until 2 more months. Hopefully this is not the case.

Curious to see where this goes- might be interested (once questions other users get answered)

My Illumina IIs are going on about 80,000 miles, and they seem to be lasting fine. Maybe you got a bad set.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds: