NEW member with a few questions. LOOKING AT A CAR TOMORROW!

M

maleshiftballer

Hello all! Hopefully I am in the right place

I am going to look at this tomorrow

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/cto/4282768086.html

I have been eyeing it on Craigslist for a while and thought it was a really nice deal so I sent him a text about it earlier today. Anyway long story short he said the head gasket blew this weekend.

I am curious how much I should offer him and how much work I am looking at to get it back on the road. Also what should I look for when I go look at it tomorrow???

Thanks! Hope to be a super coupe owner soon!

I wrote this 'SC Buyer's Guide' up a few years back - the pricing is most likely outdated tho. Check NADA for something more current, I think.

See if you can find out if the head gasket issue turned the engine oil into milkshake or not so you can try to have a better idea of what it might cost to repair, etc.

Just a suggestion, tho - you might want to pay a bit more for a running car, unless you can get this one at a discount and you don't mind the time/investment before you can enjoy it.

Last edited:
Well he has had it on Craigslist for 2000 for a while. I was thinking somewhere between 1000-1200 now that the head gasket is gone. I have about 2700 or so to spend so I was going to do the repairs myself. If the oil is milky what do you think I am looking at? The fact that he claims the interior is immaculate and it only had 90k miles intrigued me. I have a motorcycle as well so I am not worried about a little down time. although I don't want it to be a month or so before I have a running car.

Back