Front coil-overs suggestions

JT15601

So I have some extra money and I was wondering if anyone knew of some good coil overs for the front suspension. My rear end already has aftermarket suspension (was like that when I bought it) although there not coil covers I like them because the ride is pretty stiff in he rear. The front is stock and floats around and squeaks because the shocks are old. Id like to get coil covers to drop the front end about an inch to give a small amount of rake. Anyone know of any good front suspension kits? Preferably less that $400 for both. Thanks.

For coil overs, there is a thread on tccoa with someone who made himself a set, but he had way more than $400 just in parts, not counting his labor. Unfortunately now with tokico having distribution issues, there are no good direct bolt-in shock options for our cars.

For coil overs, there is a thread on tccoa with someone who made himself a set, but he had way more than $400 just in parts, not counting his labor. Unfortunately now with tokico having distribution issues, there are no good direct bolt-in shock options for our cars.

Yeah I was looking and I couldn't really find anything and I just wanted someone to point me in the right direction. Is there any static coil and strut kits that are about 1 inch lower?

Victor over at SpinningWheels-SC.COM is now stocking the Tokikos, however, you'll have to ask him (they don't have enough stock to list on the web site).

RwP

If you mean adjustable coilovers with threaded perches, you'll have to build them. No one makes them for our cars (though there was a group buy at one point from a shop that went out of business). As far as I know, I'm the only one to have made a set:

DSC_7347.jpg

Here's how I did it:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?103543-Installed-my-Koni-coilovers-today&highlight=coilovers

If you simply mean new springs and shocks, well, springs are the easy part. Eibachs, Vogtlands, STs and more are all fine. But there aren't any good shock options any more that I know of.

Bill at SCP actually just released new adjustable front and rear coil over kits today on TCCoA's Facebook page. No pricing info as of yet, but they utilize QA1 double adjustable shocks.

Bill at SCP actually just released new adjustable front and rear coil over kits today on TCCoA's Facebook page. No pricing info as of yet, but they utilize QA1 double adjustable shocks.

Good for Bill getting that out there. I wonder if aluminum LCAs are strong enough for use with that rear kit--I don't think the shock mount is designed to take the weight of the car. I imagine it's fine on his tubular LCAs, though.

A few guys are running some QA1 adjustable shocks that were made about 8 years ago (wow, time flys!) I bought a set, but they are still sitting around, waiting to be installed. If I ever come across a set of Koni's for the front, I'll probably go with those instead.

www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?58468-Custom-Built-Front-Drag-Coil-Overs

www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?75376-Custom-QA1-Coil-Overs-D-amp-D-Race-Tech

I'm interested to see Bill's project on these though! Very cool; Those rears might match up nicely to the QA1 fronts that I have now. :cool:

Thomas

Good for Bill getting that out there. I wonder if aluminum LCAs are strong enough for use with that rear kit--I don't think the shock mount is designed to take the weight of the car. I imagine it's fine on his tubular LCAs, though.

Virtually every coil over kit made utilizes a bolt to hold the spring/shock to an existing suspension component, and therefore the weight of the car is focused on that fastener/bracket. This should not be a concern at all!

For instance, on the Thunderbirds the front shock/spring assembly goes down to a yoke that is held to the suspension with a single bolt per side. There is way more weight in the front of the car than the rear.

We have had prototype cars with this exact setup running around for the past few years drag racing, road racing, etc. without a single issue. This is a non-issue.

Virtually every coil over kit made utilizes a bolt to hold the spring/shock to an existing suspension component, and therefore the weight of the car is focused on that fastener/bracket. This should not be a concern at all!

For instance, on the Thunderbirds the front shock/spring assembly goes down to a yoke that is held to the suspension with a single bolt per side. There is way more weight in the front of the car than the rear.

We have had prototype cars with this exact setup running around for the past few years drag racing, road racing, etc. without a single issue. This is a non-issue.

Okay, that's good to know. A couple more questions about the rear, then:

-What length of rear spring do you recommend?

-You list the weight of the new rear assembly at 6 pounds. That almost seems too light--does that number include springs?

-Your recommended rear spring rates (250 lb for full weight cars, 225 lb for lightened cars) seem really low. The info I've seen on stock SC rear spring rate is 509-637 lbs, progressive (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/springs/springs.htm). Is the info in that link suspect, is there a significant change in wheel rate with this kit, or are you just recommending a change in balance?

-What length of rear spring do you recommend?

-You list the weight of the new rear assembly at 6 pounds. That almost seems too light--does that number include springs?

-Your recommended rear spring rates (250 lb for full weight cars, 225 lb for lightened cars) seem really low. The info I've seen on stock SC rear spring rate is 509-637 lbs, progressive (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/springs/springs.htm). Is the info in that link suspect, is there a significant change in wheel rate with this kit, or are you just recommending a change in balance?

The write up on the SCP site calls for 10" rear springs.

The six pounds per corner does include a spring.

I have spoken with others who currently are running custom made coil overs and they agree with the 400-450 rating we suggest for the front springs. I have not spoken with anyone who currently has a similar setup for the rears but the couple of sample cars that we did our prototyping were all using 225-250# springs and they rode and handled extremely well. The info. in the link is for a standard type spring suspension. Things change when using a coil over.

Back