My 2014 Auto rotor upgrade progress thread

First Test fit Complete!

I got the AR back from powder coat with Randy Hunerkoch today! I got the return plenum mounted and test fit the inlet which Ken Wagner made and it fit perfect. I have to modify my hood to fit the blower in the back but everything is looking really good so far!

Attachments

• ar build6.jpg
    ar build6.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 166
Very Nice ! Looking forward to seeing how well it runs with all the new stuff you've done. What drive ratio are you starting with ? When I had a 1.7 on my 3.8 motor I had a stock diameter crank pulley (March underdrive), 10% JS and 3.25" supercharger pulley for 20 pounds of boost.

David

Went with 10% crank with a 3" pulley stock jackshaft. Im sure it will be a different animal than im used too! More than anything I hope the drivrability issues are gone.

Real Clean setup you have coming together...soon you'll be out of things to work on and finally get to enjoy it. :D;)

-Tim

Went with 10% crank with a 3" pulley stock jackshaft. Im sure it will be a different animal than im used too! More than anything I hope the drivrability issues are gone.

:eek: That's a lot of blower speed.

That would be the same drive ratio as mine was when using my 3" pulley, which made 23 pounds of boost but lost about 24 rwhp over the 3.25" diameter blower pulley that only made 20 pounds of boost. This was with a 3.5" intake and 85mm TB, so you might be making even more boost.

Not sure if mine made less power because of the knock sensor pulling timing or if I was just spinning the blower too fast and killing the efficiency. Do you have a 3.25" blower pulley just in case you need to slow it down ?

David

No I wish I did but I will be running it the same od Ryan was on his car. My heads arnt quiit as good as yours are either and I went to a smaller cam with less lift and valve overlap.

I got the AR back from powder coat with Randy Hunerkoch today! I got the return plenum mounted and test fit the inlet which Ken Wagner made and it fit perfect. I have to modify my hood to fit the blower in the back but everything is looking really good so far!

Nice work everyone! Randy, Dave, and Ken, good job on all of it. It will be very interesting to see it run again!

Nice work everyone! Randy, Dave, and Ken, good job on all of it. It will be very interesting to see it run again!

Thanks Dave I should have it together completely the first part of next week. I have to get a 220 plug and breaker so randy can bring the welder up to make the new inner cooler tubes. Changed the oil and added some coolant today when I got home from work but I am waiting for a TPS and AC liquid line to show up so I can fix my ever pressurizing AC system. Turns out the orifice tube in the SC is in the liquid line lol (note to self two orifice tubes will cause the AC to pressurize and blow the pop off valve on the back of the compressor every time you fill it with refrigerant hmmm):eek:

Sounds pretty risky for pump gas.

David
If the boost is that high I will stay out of it and watch my afr. I don't hammer on this car unless its full of race gas so I am not really concerned if the boost is too high right now. Randy has a 3.25 on his and pushes 19psi but with the larger inlet and intake the boost could be higher. I should know next week sometime how its all going to shake out. Then I have to figure out how to get it tuned:confused:

AR with 20+ lbs. of boost and a 100 wet shot......................I like your thinking........:D

If yours lives then I might be inclined to go back up to a 100 shot..............:eek:

AR with 20+ lbs. of boost and a 100 wet shot......................I like your thinking........:D

If yours lives then I might be inclined to go back up to a 100 shot..............:eek:
Rotflmao What do you mean if mine lives lol. Its going to live because I wont beat on it and I wont run nitrous without running race fuel at the same time. Its go big or go home time for me lol.:eek:

You guys crack me up talking about nitrous when you don't even know if you can keep it together on gasoline.

You guys crack me up talking about nitrous when you don't even know if you can keep it together on gasoline.

There's only one way to find out if something breaks--beat on it until you find the breaking point. Then you'll know at which point you need to upgrade something. :D

Well over the past 3 years mine has held up and performed well with the MPx and 100 shot of nitrous. Granted a 2.3 Whipple is a bit different than a MPx but that's why I'm sticking to a 50 shot.............plus since because I had issues on the dyno, you couldn't tune it to the max I should be real safe with the tune you put in it.

I have been thinking about it a lot over the past few years and I decided to run it for several reasons. Keith has been running it successfully for a while now and I went with the exact same components he has because its proven to work well with few issues. I think my Idea of only running it on race fuel will minimize the risk of hurting something and I will ONLY use nitrous when my car is on the dyno or the track which is a couple times a year at best. I am sure my car will have plenty of power without it but I have always wanted to try it and I believe there is no time like the present to do so. I wont be using it at all until the car is tuned and running well on pump gas. but I hope to have it ready for use come October.

If the boost is that high I will stay out of it and watch my afr. I don't hammer on this car unless its full of race gas so I am not really concerned if the boost is too high right now. Randy has a 3.25 on his and pushes 19psi but with the larger inlet and intake the boost could be higher. I should know next week sometime how its all going to shake out. Then I have to figure out how to get it tuned:confused:

Dave,

Good luck with that, because a twin screw is pretty much an all or nothing deal. Not sure if it's because of the blowers internal compression of the air or because of the bypass valve functioning a little different, but it won't feel anything like the roots blower you are used to. When accelerating at part throttle with the twin screw you may see 5 or 8 pounds of boost on the gauge, but it will feel like a lazy pooch and doesn't accelerate near as hard as the over driven MPX or other M90 based blowers at same throttle input. But give it enough throttle to completely close the bypass valve and you better be pointing straight, because it's suddenly like a caged beast trying to rip your motor mounts in half, and you will immediately see nearly full boost.

Suggest getting Dave to make you a starter tune with WOT timing backed way down, so you don't break it before you can get it tuned.

David

Being boost is all relative to the package, take this with a grain of salt.

I recently installed a 3.25" pulley on my 2.0L AR; it was previously 3.5". With my original pulley and the 10% JS pulley, I was around 18-19 lbs of boost. I installed the smaller pulley and made close to 23 lbs of boost. I went down to a 5% JS for my street tune and still manage to get around 21 lbs of boost. For the track, I will re-install the 10% JS pulley and fill the tank with VP100.

You're a better man than most of us if you can "stay out of it".

Back