My 2014 Auto rotor upgrade progress thread

But give it enough throttle to completely close the bypass valve and you better be pointing straight, because it's suddenly like a caged beast trying to rip your motor mounts in half, and you will immediately see nearly full boost.

I don't know what you are talking about. :confused: Must be an AOD thing. lol

I plan to back 4° out initially and go a little rich up top to keep it safe til I can get it tuned. The nos wont be used until its tuned and if I need to I guess I will have to find a 3.25 pulley.

Almost done!

Well I am very close to getting it up and running! Here is list of stuff left to do.

1. Drain coolant and put accessory belt on :eek:
2. get tps and IAC on throttle body and mount it and intake
3. change oil
4. make inner cooler tubes and mount fan

Attachments

• ar build7.jpg
    ar build7.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 215
Its running!

Well I started the day by changing the oil and getting all the other misc items done and then it was on to cutting the hood :eek: and it was a success! The monster that Ken created fit just fine and we were off to make the inner cooler pipes. The new configuration took some creativity but everything went fairly smooth and it started on the second turn of the key! For those of you who havnt seen it on facebook here is the video.
[video]https://www.facebook.com/groups/133369289895/10152939900609896/?notif_t=group_comment_reply[/video]

Might be, because that's how mine drove with 1.7 AR and it does the same thing with the 2.3 Whipple.

David

In you guy's cases it has a lot more to do with your camshaft selection than the supercharger. They just don't really make any power without quite a bit of boost because that's what they are designed for. Another difference is just plain and simple perceptions. With your M90 experience the car was poochy too, but adding more boost/throttle didn't help so the whole thing was lackluster instead of just the low boost area.

In Jason's case, he didn't have an M90 on a heads/cam setup that was made for boost. His Morana stuff was ground on a 110 LSA which is all NA stuff and works fine up to a point where it just simply quits working.

There are some differences in power production and boost levels when talking about a bigger supercharger in general. A large supercharger isn't going to be as efficient on a small motor when it's not being spun very fast and is being choked with a partly open throttle blade. The TVS feels a lot the same way.

What I'm saying is that if you select components to make maximum HP, you are going to give up other areas. If you wanted better mid boost performance, a few simple changes in component selection would make all the difference, and of course you'd give up some other things in the process. It's always a compromise.

Dave Clark's setup would be better with a little less OD, but I'm sure it won't really matter to him. :)

In you guy's cases it has a lot more to do with your camshaft selection than the supercharger. They just don't really make any power without quite a bit of boost because that's what they are designed for. Another difference is just plain and simple perceptions. With your M90 experience the car was poochy too, but adding more boost/throttle didn't help so the whole thing was lackluster instead of just the low boost area.

In Jason's case, he didn't have an M90 on a heads/cam setup that was made for boost. His Morana stuff was ground on a 110 LSA which is all NA stuff and works fine up to a point where it just simply quits working.

There are some differences in power production and boost levels when talking about a bigger supercharger in general. A large supercharger isn't going to be as efficient on a small motor when it's not being spun very fast and is being choked with a partly open throttle blade. The TVS feels a lot the same way.

What I'm saying is that if you select components to make maximum HP, you are going to give up other areas. If you wanted better mid boost performance, a few simple changes in component selection would make all the difference, and of course you'd give up some other things in the process. It's always a compromise.

Dave Clark's setup would be better with a little less OD, but I'm sure it won't really matter to him. :)
It matters to me quit a bit actually David. However my primary concern was to have the car running like it is now before I make any adjustments. I have a few things that need tweeked on the car now but I am really impressed at how well it runs in general at startup which is where I had all my nightmares before. I have yet to get it out and drive it to datalog it because I have a minor coolant leak to fix and a few other things I need to get squared away but it is all coming together very smooth for once:D

SMOOTH!!! That is not something that I have not experienced lately with my cars or life so congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful job!!

David,

I don't really care much about low or mid boost performance, and I'm sure my slippy convertor (with direct drive deleted/aka non locking) is adding more to the poochy feel when rpms are below 3500 than the cam is, because my current cam is very close to the one Chris Wise put in the motor he built for me back in 2002. I think I would be a lot happier with the stall reduced about 500 rpm, but that isn't happening until I break the transmission.

With the manual transmission and the amount of OD he is running, Dave's car will probably feel a lot stronger at part throttle. Either way he's in for a big smile inducing treat, when he drops the hammer.

David

Yeah keith he tuned the car before but it came in really handy having the sc garage by the dyno for when things went wrong. I have a dyno very close to my house but it would probably be ideal if I could get somone to go in with me on dyno time and tuning. Its tough to beat the TI dyno!

SMOOTH!!! That is not something that I have not experienced lately with my cars or life so congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful job!!

I didnt get in a hurry this time which allowed me to be extra careful when putting it all together! Hopefully I dont have to screw with it much more lol.

Took it for its maiden voyage!

I had to run to the store and grab a few things and figured no time like the present since it wasn't raining. I only drove it a few miles and it is pretty rich at part throttle but the new trans shifts very smooth and the car runs pretty good for not being tuned. I saw 9s and 10s on my wideband at part throttle and the car was pretty sluggish when I accelerated but I am pretty happy just to be driving it again. I wasn't going to do this but here is a shot of what the final assembly looks like (for now lol).
finally_zps3066a439.jpg
finally2_zpsfd0dba27.jpg

Well I'm locked in for tuning and dyno on the crusher the 9th of august. I've been driving the car as much as possible and all of my crank case pressure, idle and overheating issues are gone for the new build. It is really fun to drive now and I am really anxious to get it all tuned and ready for the 14 shootout. I have decided to Waite to run nos until the car has some more miles on it so I will just be running vp c20 unleaded race fuel for the dyno and 93 on the street.

Back