Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

Using it as the resonator.
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

Quote Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
    UPDATE! Well, I finally got around to ordering those Dynomax VT mufflers (got 2 from Advance Auto for $130 shipped), and had them installed this morning.

NO MORE DRONE! It is 80% gone. It was so nice driving home and finally hearing the sound of my engine revving, blower whining, and a proper exhaust note. I'm happy that these drone destroying mufflers actually turned out to be everything they were supposed to be. It felt like a different car. I have thoughts again!

Attachment 62355Attachment 62354Attachment 62353Attachment 62352
    Mufflex does all my exhaust work!!!! Glad they took care of your drone.... they did my 2.5" catless downtubes to an ax X pipe out to full duals all the way back tucking in Magnaflow muffs with tips like yours.
    Tom Downs-member#2752
    MPX'd 90 SC Auto~bought Feb. 2012
    RIP MOM!!! I will always miss and think about you 4Ever! 1940-2018
    RIP Rexy boy!!!! Miss my dog 2006-2018
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=424

Wait.
    Ricardo posted a few updates to this and they are gone.

I love when old threads are resurrected.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    Wait.
    Ricardo posted a few updates to this and they are gone.

I love when old threads are resurrected.
    It wont let me post thinks I am a spamer.

Bumping this thread back up, drove for quite a while on my new to me stainless racing exhaust. I am making it more street friendly as that was my intention when I picked it up, I have rear exiting tips on my bumper, and the downturns needed to be cut and fabbed. But it needs help badly in the drone department. I have spent all week looking for mufflers that will help and solve the drone problem. The backdrop is Kooks long tubes, 304SS massive 3" Y into 3.5", 3.5" in/out Magnaflow straight flow resonator (packing is likely worn out), back to another 3.5" to two 3" Y, last a pair of 3" magnaflow straight flow mufflers with the exit/tips enlarged to 3.5". The original poster stated the same problem this set up and many other has had.

It was suggested that the mid resonator could use a new one but I am not risking testing this theory out as the drone is pretty large and a new resonator would just be a band aid.

On the exhaust exhaust it replaced. I had great success with Borla XS mufflers and the Magnaflow resonator, but as time passes and a few fire balls later the system become louder as the resonator wears out. The Borla XS do a great job trying to muffle the tame the drone, and still my old set up was drone free. But that was using dual 2.5" piping, I fear that another set of Borla XS will have a hard time doing the same job given that the pipes on the system are 3.5" and 3" on of the largest set up in the community.

This leads me to moving away from straight through mufflers to turbo chambered, I got excited when I noticed the Dynomax VT were are solution for the OHV V6 drone. But those are no longer being made, the few left overs are not 3" in/out, this was likely discontinued due to high internal valve failure rates. So the search kept leading back to Dynomax super turbos, the problem is that for the 3" in/out they are only aluminized, not stainless steel, they make a 2.5" stainless . So I looked into Magnaflow XL as they are also turbo chamber. But those don't have insulation and most claim the XL stands for extral loud. So my search finally landed me to Stainless Works chambered with insulation, they offer 3" in/out in all configurations, offset, center etc, and are the typical 14"-15" sized case, and are stainless 304. But they are pricy, at $180 each. The 3" is limiting my options greatly, but before I pull the trigger and spend the kids college fund on these, am I missing any other options.

Another note to make is that to minimize work required to make them fit, the magnaflows they are replacing are center in and center out 14" case. So I need at minimum a center in to start, so they land at about the same location. I can manage with offset out due to the rear exiting tips on my car. The issue with that most turbo chambered work best for flow in a opposite offset in/out configuration. The center In will likely negatively affect the way the air moves within the chamber. Anyways let me hear some thoughts since this is 2019.

Jacob, the Mustand mufflers are 2.5" before we pitch those to the mix, plus 304SS is sexy stuff.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Stainless+Wor...SABEgKPavD_BwE
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-02-2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Added

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    It wont let me post thinks I am a spamer.

[/URL]
    I did get the notification multiple times HA!

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    I did get the notification multiple times HA!
    Must be the novel I wrote with the seven references to name brands. Anyways havenít posted in a while this one, Facebook disappears any important conversations, even though it gets the most traffic from the community.

Must be the novel I wrote with the seven references to name brands. Anyways havenít posted in a while this one, Facebook disappears any important conversations, even though it gets the most traffic from the community.
    Thanks for the follow-up! I ended up do nothing to the exhaust after the addition of the Dynomax VT mufflers. I really don't drive the SC too often so I've learned to live with the drone, which only gets annoying at certain speed/RPM ranges. Actually the last thing I did to address the issue was apply that dynomat style soundproofing to the floor and door interiors. I guess it helped a little...

Quote Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
    Thanks for the follow-up! I ended up do nothing to the exhaust after the addition of the Dynomax VT mufflers. I really don't drive the SC too often so I've learned to live with the drone, which only gets annoying at certain speed/RPM ranges. Actually the last thing I did to address the issue was apply that dynomat style soundproofing to the floor and door interiors. I guess it helped a little...
    So the VT mufflers were not the ultimate solution, but did help greatly? I wonder if your valve is starting to fail and has gotten different than when you originally tried them. Its my understanding that when the spring lets go, they stay fully open, which in turn makes them a straight through muffler.

Like I said I am trying to tame this beast of an exhaust, and as Dalke stated straight flow is not going to do it, but I am very surprised the Borla XS are able to get the job done on my old exhaust and for a while we were all on that band wagon (magnaflow mid with Borla XS), they do a hell of a job muffling the drone. I just don't want to try them and shoot myself on the foot and only making it to the 50yard line, resolving it. The pipes are quite large on this new set up and I'm not sure this will be the solution this time around. This change over is on stainless and not every corner shop can handle the job, the race shops charge a pretty penny. So this needs to be the end all for me.

By the way Joe, not sure if you were following my story but this is a new to me exhaust that was on another members race car, I was just stating that I had good success with Borla XS on smaller diameter tubing. They do a good job in my opinion, but remember I have rear exiting tips so those got to help further. It did get loud with time but it is still drone free. On this new system I still need to solve the problem at the root cause.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-02-2020 at 05:09 PM.

My car had the big dog setup with turbo mufflers and didn't drone. Big Dog was 2.5" into 3.5" back out to 2.5 no cats no resonator. But the mufflers were aluminized or not and rusted out.

We had stainless works "chambered" mufflers on the Marauder. They are offset in center out 3" connections but the baffled pipe inside is quite small. about 2" if I remember correctly. They were super quiet and I guess didn't really kill power. The body is 18" and overall is 22". Made 680 with them. New system is 3.5" and dumped out off the muffler and made 690 no timing changes.

New exhaust
    https://youtu.be/BZ9hkNtwQxE

Stainless works
    https://youtu.be/fvpuBDIWfrc
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

this is a new to me exhaust that was on another members race car
    Here is a clue about where it came from......

1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Crap I forgot to post the pics of the stainless works mufflers.
    Name:  muffler inside.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  71.6 KB
    Name:  muffler body.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  74.5 KB
    ~Chris
    SCCoA Member #1826
    Bettie Riding jack stands
    SCARlit on drag duty now

Thanks for the info Chris, so you guys removed them for the new set up and gained gained 10WHP, in SC land that's the difference between a 440HP car or a solid 450whp car, or 490 vs 500. We need all the help we can, lol. I don't like the whole going down on inside tubing on these stainless works and thanks for pointing that out and at $200 a piece I need to make sure I don't make a mistake.

The dynomax super turbos are neat because they have that U shape deflector at opposite ends of the chambers guiding things along when velocity is going, but that's only really a good thing on an opposite offset in/out configuration so the flow is S pattern. For this set up, I am limited to 14" case, and at minimum centre in, unless I want to re-fab the Y pipe split, I am avoiding as much work as possible.

I wonder if the longer case you have helps make more power as there is more area for the excess volume to park itself. With a smaller case 14" I feel flow will collide with the baffles and walls a lot sooner slowing things down. Additionally a turbo style muffler with a center pipe is not properly doing the S pattern. Does it matter all that much? IDK but scared to try. What I do know is that the magnaflow mufflers on this kit has to go, Its pretty evident that magnaflows as mufflers don't work at well, as previously found on other owners cars. After 3,000rpms they get smooth but 1800-2200 omg its brutal, I don't mind the loud noises WOT, the Borla Pro XS can also be (good) loud at WOT, but have enough muffle to get rid of the drone at low RPMs.

I think I am falling back to getting a set of Borla Pro XS, with a center in but an offset out so the sound has to collide with the perforated tube, this is why I think the X resonators in dual setup have the added protection, the sound has to collide with the perforated tubes, since they are at an angle vs linear on a single mid pipe kit. Im going to pray for the best and try the Borlas one more time (scared). Hopefully I wont need to change the resonator, but might be next in line if the Borlas XS are not enough to rid the 1800-2200 drone, or maybe I need to fork it out and get that replaced aswell, the borla xs as a resonator will allow more ground clearance as well so a win there but I don't want to go crazy cutting and pasting. BTW, the Borlas XS in my config (size) are on back order till Jan 30, 2020, so I have time to decide, any additional thoughts are highly appreciated. If someone thing of a suitable muffler for a high HP application that will muffle the drone, speak up please.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-03-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Neibert View Post
    Here is a clue about where it came from......

David, I'm going to make you feel silly when I fix this thing with a set of mufflers JK. All the years suffering with the Magnaflows. But your new kit is good too, maybe a little Granpaish and heavy but good.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-03-2020 at 03:07 PM.

David, I'm going to make you feel silly when I fix this thing with a set of mufflers JK. All the years suffering with the Magnaflows. But your new kit is good too, maybe a little Granpaish and heavy but good.
    Ricardo,

I really hope you are able to get rid of the drone. BTW, I'm enjoying my SC a lot more with the new quieter exhaust system. Next up.....reinstalling the AC.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage