I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

I did get the notification multiple times HA!

Must be the novel I wrote with the seven references to name brands. Anyways haven’t posted in a while this one, Facebook disappears any important conversations, even though it gets the most traffic from the community.

Must be the novel I wrote with the seven references to name brands. Anyways haven’t posted in a while this one, Facebook disappears any important conversations, even though it gets the most traffic from the community.

Thanks for the follow-up! I ended up do nothing to the exhaust after the addition of the Dynomax VT mufflers. I really don't drive the SC too often so I've learned to live with the drone, which only gets annoying at certain speed/RPM ranges. Actually the last thing I did to address the issue was apply that dynomat style soundproofing to the floor and door interiors. I guess it helped a little...

Thanks for the follow-up! I ended up do nothing to the exhaust after the addition of the Dynomax VT mufflers. I really don't drive the SC too often so I've learned to live with the drone, which only gets annoying at certain speed/RPM ranges. Actually the last thing I did to address the issue was apply that dynomat style soundproofing to the floor and door interiors. I guess it helped a little...

So the VT mufflers were not the ultimate solution, but did help greatly? I wonder if your valve is starting to fail and has gotten different than when you originally tried them. Its my understanding that when the spring lets go, they stay fully open, which in turn makes them a straight through muffler.

Like I said I am trying to tame this beast of an exhaust, and as Dalke stated straight flow is not going to do it, but I am very surprised the Borla XS are able to get the job done on my old exhaust and for a while we were all on that band wagon (magnaflow mid with Borla XS), they do a hell of a job muffling the drone. I just don't want to try them and shoot myself on the foot and only making it to the 50yard line, resolving it. The pipes are quite large on this new set up and I'm not sure this will be the solution this time around. This change over is on stainless and not every corner shop can handle the job, the race shops charge a pretty penny. So this needs to be the end all for me.

By the way Joe, not sure if you were following my story but this is a new to me exhaust that was on another members race car, I was just stating that I had good success with Borla XS on smaller diameter tubing. They do a good job in my opinion, but remember I have rear exiting tips so those got to help further. It did get loud with time but it is still drone free. On this new system I still need to solve the problem at the root cause.

Last edited:
My car had the big dog setup with turbo mufflers and didn't drone. Big Dog was 2.5" into 3.5" back out to 2.5 no cats no resonator. But the mufflers were aluminized or not and rusted out.

We had stainless works "chambered" mufflers on the Marauder. They are offset in center out 3" connections but the baffled pipe inside is quite small. about 2" if I remember correctly. They were super quiet and I guess didn't really kill power. The body is 18" and overall is 22". Made 680 with them. New system is 3.5" and dumped out off the muffler and made 690 no timing changes.

New exhaust
https://youtu.be/BZ9hkNtwQxE

Stainless works
https://youtu.be/fvpuBDIWfrc

Thanks for the info Chris, so you guys removed them for the new set up and gained gained 10WHP, in SC land that's the difference between a 440HP car or a solid 450whp car, or 490 vs 500. We need all the help we can, lol. I don't like the whole going down on inside tubing on these stainless works and thanks for pointing that out and at $200 a piece I need to make sure I don't make a mistake.

The dynomax super turbos are neat because they have that U shape deflector at opposite ends of the chambers guiding things along when velocity is going, but that's only really a good thing on an opposite offset in/out configuration so the flow is S pattern. For this set up, I am limited to 14" case, and at minimum centre in, unless I want to re-fab the Y pipe split, I am avoiding as much work as possible.

I wonder if the longer case you have helps make more power as there is more area for the excess volume to park itself. With a smaller case 14" I feel flow will collide with the baffles and walls a lot sooner slowing things down. Additionally a turbo style muffler with a center pipe is not properly doing the S pattern. Does it matter all that much? IDK but scared to try. What I do know is that the magnaflow mufflers on this kit has to go, Its pretty evident that magnaflows as mufflers don't work at well, as previously found on other owners cars. After 3,000rpms they get smooth but 1800-2200 omg its brutal, I don't mind the loud noises WOT, the Borla Pro XS can also be (good) loud at WOT, but have enough muffle to get rid of the drone at low RPMs.

I think I am falling back to getting a set of Borla Pro XS, with a center in but an offset out so the sound has to collide with the perforated tube, this is why I think the X resonators in dual setup have the added protection, the sound has to collide with the perforated tubes, since they are at an angle vs linear on a single mid pipe kit. Im going to pray for the best and try the Borlas one more time (scared). Hopefully I wont need to change the resonator, but might be next in line if the Borlas XS are not enough to rid the 1800-2200 drone, or maybe I need to fork it out and get that replaced aswell, the borla xs as a resonator will allow more ground clearance as well so a win there but I don't want to go crazy cutting and pasting. BTW, the Borlas XS in my config (size) are on back order till Jan 30, 2020, so I have time to decide, any additional thoughts are highly appreciated. If someone thing of a suitable muffler for a high HP application that will muffle the drone, speak up please.

Last edited:
Here is a clue about where it came from......

David, I'm going to make you feel silly when I fix this thing with a set of mufflers JK. All the years suffering with the Magnaflows. But your new kit is good too, maybe a little Granpaish and heavy but good. :p

Last edited:
David, I'm going to make you feel silly when I fix this thing with a set of mufflers JK. All the years suffering with the Magnaflows. But your new kit is good too, maybe a little Granpaish and heavy but good. :p

Ricardo,

I really hope you are able to get rid of the drone. BTW, I'm enjoying my SC a lot more with the new quieter exhaust system. Next up.....reinstalling the AC.

David

Not a chance. I’d need some for a 2.5” YO boy, and my Fiancée which wanted to get out of the car after a short trip.

Still open to opinions. Thanks.

From another site. Interesting results, tests were on a mustang, not sure what vintage. Borla XS seems to be the compromise for quiet while still on the top 5 of HP rating.

The results in HP order:
1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler

2458_1_md.jpg

Heartthrob Velocity Muffler

3952_1_md.jpg

Some interesting candidates.

Reporting back with the Borla Pro XS. I tried one side with the borla and one with the Mangnaflow. And could tell it’s an improvement. Then proceeded to adapt the other side. I entered the cabin and it’s still too loud to put a good dent on drone. Mind you I am getting used to the loudness so I am losing the ability to register an acceptable level. So I need to send these back to Jegs and try another design as I suspected they need to be chambered. To be continued. But this beast will be tamed, challenge accepted.

Meanwhile this kid in a Golf R gave me the fking mint sign and also can’t get other strangers to stop trying to race.

Like a thumbs up, or is there some new hand sign kids are flashing these days?

'mint', as in cool (ahh...minty fresh; freshly minted), w/thumb & index finger 'OK', instead of shouting f**king cool, dude!, and risk having the schoolbus driver in the next lane shoot you a glance. Similar to complimenting someone on their new self-lacing nikes by nodding your head and saying 'nice wheels'.

Last edited:
Ok hand gesture is the fking mint sign. But that came after a thumbs up so I would think is was positive feedback not negative as fking mint is sarcasm denoting crap.

Anyways coincidentally, JEGS had the part number I needed on the Stainless Works Turbo Chambered, $30 dollars off each. IÂ’m not a superstitious person but dayum it must be a sign. Only that part number! This one should do it, I hope, and itÂ’s 304SS. My mission is to make Neibert feel silly for parting ways with his beloved system.

Back