Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

Just get a pair of ear muffs and drive that beast.
    J.Miller
    1990 XR7 and 1955 F250!

Not a chance. Id need some for a 2.5 YO boy, and my Fiance which wanted to get out of the car after a short trip.

Still open to opinions. Thanks.

From another site. Interesting results, tests were on a mustang, not sure what vintage. Borla XS seems to be the compromise for quiet while still on the top 5 of HP rating.

The results in HP order:
    1.Flowtech Warlock (open) 374.2 hp/ 333.1 tq
    2.Bassani Real Street 373.7 hp/ 333.8 tq
    3.Hooker Maxflow 373.5 hp/ 333 tq
    4.Borla XS 373.3 hp/ 332.6 tq
    5.Magnaflow 372.8 / 332.5 tq
    6.MAC 372.3 hp / 331.5 tq
    7.Flowtech Afterburner 372.3 hp/ 330.1 tq
    8.Hooker Aerochamber 372.1 hp/ 330.4 tq
    9.Bassani 372 hp/ 333.5 tq
    10.Spintech 371.6 hp/ 332.2 tq
    11.Edelbrock Performer RPM 370.9 hp / 331.3 tq
    12.Borla XR1 370 hp/ 334 tq
    13.Flowtech Terminator 369.5 hp / 331.3 tq
    14.Dynomax Ultra Flo 369.4 / 333.2 tq
    15.Flowmaster 369.4 hp / 331.8 tq
    16.Flowtech Warlock 366.3 hp / 325.3 tq
    17.No muffs 365.2 hp / 330.1 tq

Sound Off in Quietest to Loudest (Decibels):

1.Borla XS, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 110db at WOT.
    2.Hooker Maxflow, 80db at idle, 90db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
    3.Magnaflow, 82db at idle, 91 at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
    4.Flowmaster, 82db at idle, 93 at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
    5.Flowtech Warlock, 83db at idle, 92 at 2,000 rpm, 112db at WOT.
    6.Dynomax UltraFlo, 83db at idle, 94 at 2,000 rpm, 113db at WOT.
    7.Borla XR1, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
    8.Bassani Street, 83db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, 120db at WOT.
    9.Edelbrock RPM, 84db at idle, 93db at 2,000 rpm, 118db at WOT.
    10.Bassani Real Street, 84db at idle, 96db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).
    11.Flowtech Afterburner, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 115db at WOT.
    12.Flowtech Terminator, 86db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
    13.Hooker Aerochamber, 87db at idle, 94db at 2,000 rpm, 114db at WOT.
    14.SpinTech, 87db at idle, 97db at 2,000 rpm, 116db at WOT.
    15.MAC, 87db at idle, 98db at 2,000 rpm, 119db at WOT.
    16.No Muffler, 91db at idle, 103db at 2,000 rpm, MAX. (120+db).

Cherry Bomb Vortex Muffler

Heartthrob Velocity Muffler

Some interesting candidates.

I would try the Cherry Bomb as their site says no cruising drone!

https://cherrybomb.com/project/vortex/
    J.Miller
    1990 XR7 and 1955 F250!

Fyi adding glass packs before any muffler will reduce or eliminate drone with zero restriction
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

Reporting back with the Borla Pro XS. I tried one side with the borla and one with the Mangnaflow. And could tell its an improvement. Then proceeded to adapt the other side. I entered the cabin and its still too loud to put a good dent on drone. Mind you I am getting used to the loudness so I am losing the ability to register an acceptable level. So I need to send these back to Jegs and try another design as I suspected they need to be chambered. To be continued. But this beast will be tamed, challenge accepted.

Meanwhile this kid in a Golf R gave me the fking mint sign and also cant get other strangers to stop trying to race.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Meanwhile this kid in a Golf R gave me the fking mint sign...
    Like a thumbs up, or is there some new hand sign kids are flashing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
    Like a thumbs up, or is there some new hand sign kids are flashing these days?
    'mint', as in cool (ahh...minty fresh; freshly minted), w/thumb & index finger 'OK', instead of shouting f**king cool, dude!, and risk having the schoolbus driver in the next lane shoot you a glance. Similar to complimenting someone on their new self-lacing nikes by nodding your head and saying 'nice wheels'.
    Last edited by KMT; 01-12-2020 at 11:47 PM.

Ok hand gesture is the fking mint sign. But that came after a thumbs up so I would think is was positive feedback not negative as fking mint is sarcasm denoting crap.

Anyways coincidentally, JEGS had the part number I needed on the Stainless Works Turbo Chambered, $30 dollars off each. I’m not a superstitious person but dayum it must be a sign. Only that part number! This one should do it, I hope, and it’s 304SS. My mission is to make Neibert feel silly for parting ways with his beloved system.

That setup always reminded me of Micah's car.

Taking some notes for my exhaust build this spring.
    SCCoA Member#: 2515
    1990 SC AOD 2.1L Kenne Bell
    11.676 @ 121.35 mph
    506hp/478tq
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer View Post
    That setup always reminded me of Micah's car.
    Yes its practically the same minus one muffler. At 3" diameter, the pipes are too large for any straight flow mufflers to do the job. Borlas XS were deemed the quietest and tested and failed, therefore going to move to the chambered turbo style unit.

My thoughts after 3 weeks of muffler shopping, the problem I encountered with selection is the 3" inlet/out, plus the limited space of 14" case size due to the mid section ending near the spare tire area. I don't want to reconstruct the mid section and that's partially my limitation.

From all this hoopla, on an extreme set up like this one, the straight flows won’t cut it. if 2.5" the options for 2.5" mufflers expand drastically, and the Borla XS have a chance to muffle better, but this is with a decent sized muffler/resonator at the center section, I don't think it matters, Magnaflow or Borla or that top secret chambered SCU thing, Jacob glass packs. But, if using an X pipe or short length glass pack, you start to get risky results for drone. Note that the longer the Borla XS case is at the rear (larger than 14) the better chance for quietness, Neibert will attest to it, and I will also even attest with the smaller 14" Borla XS and a worn out Magnaflow center. While not a set up to sneak into your house late night, they are drone free and sound beastly WOT.

Before I talk about the Stainless Works in chambered street trim, let’s talk about the Dynomax Super Turbos. When ordering the 2.5” 14” case muffler from them, you will be slightly disappointed to know that the inner pipes are believed to be only 2 1/4" on a 2.5 IN/OUT" muffler, this one is also problematic in the way it flows, on any configuration other than offset/offset opposite. A true S shape will provide the best results. The only stainless option in this trim muffler is reserved for the offset/offset opposite, so you would be in luck, but its only 409 stainless so don’t get too excited. Still need to face the fact that the inner tubes are 2.25”.

But wait! Not all hope is lost for the mighty Super Turbo from Dynomax. Hear me out, if you are willing to lower your standards and get an aluminized case with a stainless core, you are in luck, because they make a 3” IN/OUT configuration in any offset of your choosing. This 3” muffler is key because the inner pipes are in fact 3” throughout. And get this, this is the important part, the case height grows to 5.5” from the 4.5” and allows cross sectional area to be large enough for flow over the pipes when they are in a centre configured case, But length is 16” so 2” longer. This is by far the best flowing turbo chamber configuration regardless of it being offset/offset opposite or centre.

In other words, the center/offset 2 1/2" are pretty restrictive on the small case 14" units, mainly because of the obvious neck-down in pipe size (bad) and the case width being too shallow to allow the over/under flow around the center tube. Larger 3"- 16" body of the same design has a taller and wider case and actually has MORE cross sectional/flow area around the top and bottom, if you get a offset offset opposite you are even more in luck! Bigger volume, no neck down and longer muffler for noise reduction. Part #17673 #17793 for center in applications & the Offset/Offset opposite is # 17792. My suggestion is, even if running 2.5” pipes get the 3” mufflers for best performance, run adapters.

Ok that’s great news, but darn it if I am going to put on aluminized stuff on the 304SS kit, also the 16” case would require me to touch the mid Y pipes and I am not trying to reinvent the system I already have. Therefore the search leads be back to the Stainless Works muffler that Chris and I mentioned earlier. These have a 5” height so it will provide good cross sectional area over the center in pipe, not as good as dynomax 5.5” height but who is counting . They also don’t have that little curve diverter on it, , but who is can see inside anyways? Also Chris found out they are step down on the inner pipe . but hoping they changed their ways and made improvements and it’s a real 3” inside, a girl can dream right? But they were on sale for $150 vs the $109-130 for the aluminized dynomax sweetness, most of all they are 304 SS ta-da!, and that my friends is what you will see when you see me at the car shows, or looking at the back of my car after you got waxed.

Ok bible study over.

Honourable mentions,

Flowmaster 50 series in 409 stainless steel. Might give better sound (muscle car) with limited drone, but it’s a large case, and can compromise flow and HP with all the baffles and diverters.
    Also to make Jacob happy, the mustang GT take offs from S197. Cheap, 409SS and 2.5” inlet, I cannot attest to flow.

I'm sure this post will be outdated if they come out with something worth trying.
    BTW I still loved the sounds of the Flowmaster Force II kit when my car had stock manifolds, no cam and gutted cats, that is till a baffle or two rusted and rattled. But those were 2.25" pipes if I recall, different animal when its you got headers and larger pipes.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-13-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    Yes its practically the same minus one muffler. At 3" diameter, the pipes are too large for any straight flow mufflers to do the job. Borlas XS were deemed the quietest and tested and failed, therefore going to move to the chambered turbo style unit.

My thoughts after 3 weeks of muffler shopping, the problem I encountered with selection is the 3" inlet/out, plus the limited space of 14" case size due to the mid section ending near the spare tire area. I don't want to reconstruct the mid section and that's partially my limitation.

From all this hoopla, on an extreme set up like this one, the straight flows wont cut it. if 2.5" the options for 2.5" mufflers expand drastically, and the Borla XS have a chance to muffle better, but this is with a decent sized muffler/resonator at the center section, I don't think it matters, Magnaflow or Borla or that top secret chambered SCU thing, Jacob glass packs. But, if using an X pipe or short length glass pack, you start to get risky results for drone. Note that the longer the Borla XS case is at the rear (larger than 14) the better chance for quietness, Neibert will attest to it, and I will also even attest with the smaller 14" Borla XS and a worn out Magnaflow center. While not a set up to sneak into your house late night, they are drone free and sound beastly WOT.

Before I talk about the Stainless Works in chambered street trim, lets talk about the Dynomax Super Turbos. When ordering the 2.5 14 case muffler from them, you will be slightly disappointed to know that the inner pipes are believed to be only 2 1/4" on a 2.5 IN/OUT" muffler, this one is also problematic in the way it flows, on any configuration other than offset/offset opposite. A true S shape will provide the best results. The only stainless option in this trim muffler is reserved for the offset/offset opposite, so you would be in luck, but its only 409 stainless so dont get too excited. Still need to face the fact that the inner tubes are 2.25.

But wait! Not all hope is lost for the mighty Super Turbo from Dynomax. Hear me out, if you are willing to lower your standards and get an aluminized case with a stainless core, you are in luck, because they make a 3 IN/OUT configuration in any offset of your choosing. This 3 muffler is key because the inner pipes are in fact 3 throughout. And get this, this is the important part, the case height grows to 5.5 from the 4.5 and allows cross sectional area to be large enough for flow over the pipes when they are in a centre configured case, But length is 16 so 2 longer. This is by far the best flowing turbo chamber configuration regardless of it being offset/offset opposite or centre.

In other words, the center/offset 2 1/2" are pretty restrictive on the small case 14" units, mainly because of the obvious neck-down in pipe size (bad) and the case width being too shallow to allow the over/under flow around the center tube. Larger 3"- 16" body of the same design has a taller and wider case and actually has MORE cross sectional/flow area around the top and bottom, if you get a offset offset opposite you are even more in luck! Bigger volume, no neck down and longer muffler for noise reduction. Part #17673 #17793 for center in applications & the Offset/Offset opposite is # 17792. My suggestion is, even if running 2.5 pipes get the 3 mufflers for best performance, run adapters.

Ok thats great news, but darn it if I am going to put on aluminized stuff on the 304SS kit, also the 16 case would require me to touch the mid Y pipes and I am not trying to reinvent the system I already have. Therefore the search leads be back to the Stainless Works muffler that Chris and I mentioned earlier. These have a 5 height so it will provide good cross sectional area over the center in pipe, not as good as dynomax 5.5 height but who is counting . They also dont have that little curve diverter on it, , but who is can see inside anyways? Also Chris found out they are step down on the inner pipe . but hoping they changed their ways and made improvements and its a real 3 inside, a girl can dream right? But they were on sale for $150 vs the $109-130 for the aluminized dynomax sweetness, most of all they are 304 SS ta-da!, and that my friends is what you will see when you see me at the car shows, or looking at the back of my car after you got waxed.

Ok bible study over.

Honourable mentions,

Flowmaster 50 series in 409 stainless steel. Might give better sound (muscle car) with limited drone, but its a large case, and can compromise flow and HP with all the baffles and diverters.
    Also to make Jacob happy, the mustang GT take offs from S197. Cheap, 409SS and 2.5 inlet, I cannot attest to flow.

I'm sure this post will be outdated if they come out with something worth trying.
    BTW I still loved the sounds of the Flowmaster Force II kit when my car had stock manifolds, no cam and gutted cats, that is till a baffle or two rusted and rattled. But those were 2.25" pipes if I recall, different animal when its you got headers and larger pipes.

Seriously try the gt takeoffs you wont be disappointed

I have room limitations. Unless I start cutting pasting.

We want mufflers that will flow what the engine needs, no more. Since once at the point of no restriction any additional cfm doesn’t increase HP but will affect the mufflers ability to work as a muffler.

Our top dog motors are making 500whp, that’s what? 500*1.25 for 20% loss? That’s 625 crank HP
    From an article
    600 hp on open exhaust will require 600 x 2.2 = 1,320 cfm. 2.2 being a straight pipe variable. Then Two 660-cfm mufflers will get the job done and contain the backpressureinduced power loss to 5 hp or less.

Most SC don’t make 500whp but it’s reasonable to say gives you room for growth you want a 700CFM anything more is pointless and anything less you might start to lose HP if you are a top dog engine.

Dynomax Super Turbos are advertised to flow 700 :/

I got to see what the SW chambered does. They don’t advertise it. But they confirmed the 3” in and out does go down to 2.5” internally and the louvres makes smaller. But if they flow 700 then why not.

Pypes Street Flo and Magnaflow XL are 3 chamber mufflers where the inlet pipes end in the center chamber. But no sound deadening materials. So they might sound like a Flowmaster. IDK getting decision paralysis with this.
    Last edited by ricardoa1; 01-15-2020 at 12:21 AM.