Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

My.system consists of

Ported manifolds
    2.5" cat less down tubes
    Y pipe
    3" 26" long glass pack
    3" mid pipe
    Y pipe back to 2.5
    Dynomax super turbos

Zero drone !
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

Hahahaha, this thread title makes me laugh for some reason. I can just imagine you in your car, trying to enjoy a cruise, and you cannot think because of all of the drone.

Quote Originally Posted by 1FSTBRD View Post
    Hahahaha, this thread title makes me laugh for some reason. I can just imagine you in your car, trying to enjoy a cruise, and you cannot think because of all of the drone.
    Lol, yeah, I just got the car, and during my first drive I'm trying to think about all the things I want to do to it, and I'm pretty much stuck on this one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob_Royer View Post
    My.system consists of

Ported manifolds
    2.5" cat less down tubes
    Y pipe
    3" 26" long glass pack
    3" mid pipe
    Y pipe back to 2.5
    Dynomax super turbos

Zero drone !
    Interesting - you have super turbos on one end, but no headers on the other. I wonder which is the bigger drone killer?

Quote Originally Posted by sc91gt View Post
    The VT's are less than a hundred. I paid 150 shipped for both from autozone. Center in offset out. Turbos are cheap magna flows and you will still have drone...
    That sounds like a good deal! Unfortunately, I just went to the Autozone site and they only carry two Ultraflow style mufflers... The lowest I've found was $90-ish (Amazon free shipping)...

Boom Tubes

http://forums.corral.net/forums/gene...tely-gone.html

Try some boom tubes. They seem to work for others...

SWS

Speaking of drone, I went to Indiana to pick up my 89. I had discussed finishing the exhaust on it. I was told it had headers to a flowmaster muffler for a resonator. I figured it had a pipe running to the back of the car but it did not. The muffler dumped under the car.....headers>flowmaster>nothing.....no pipes, nothing.

I drove the car for 13hrs like that. The drone was so loud that it vibrated the dash, side mirrors. I bought ear plugs and they did nothing to stop the noise. Took close to two hrs for my ears to stop ringing and playing tricks on me when I got home. It sounded like a alien mothership was trying to land on my roof!!!

Funny stuff Stephen !

The drone from my exhaust system is pretty bad, and for the first year or so, I just wanted to stab a screwdriver in my ear to make it stop. Maybe I've gotten used to it or maybe my hearing is no longer very good, because these days I barely notice it.

David
    1991 SC AOD 4.2..2.3 Whipple..........10.910 @ 125.61
    2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat.............10.597 @ 135.78

My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    Easiest thing is to replace the 15" magnaflows with some Dynomax super turbo's. Basically a straight through muffler (like Magnaflow) without cats is going to be loud. Even the 18" are going to be marginal out back, and unless the pipes are already run at a 45 deg angle, they won't fit without a bunch of cutting.

The turbo style mufflers are chambered to make the muffler seem like it's 2x as long which increases dampening, but ONLY if they also have packing in them. A chambered muffler without packing will be too loud. For example, the Thrush turbo's are hollow except for their chambers, and are way too loud. The Thrush Hush series is chambered and has packing. I don't necessarily recommend those, just saying they have chambers + packing. There are other better options. The turbo style muffler is an economical way of getting more muffling into the same 15" space occupied by the Magnaflows.

On the other hand, you could also just add cats to it. Then it would be quieter and less stinky. lol
    Dave,

Oval or round Dynomax's?

Small mufflers do small work.

Turbo-style mufflers will help a lot. A resonator will also help.

However, they work on resonance, so if they are designed for a car with a different number of cylinders, or a different overall pipe length, they won't work as well for you.

You can use absorptive mufflers in conjunction with those to try to keep the sound down.

But the best thing for drone (which is resonance) is a tuned counter-resonance. The stock system had that.

The stock system doesn't sound great ... but it beats the unmuffled sound of this V6! It just won't ever sound like a V8.

The restrictive nature of the stock exhaust is another kettle of fish. Some of the sound attenuation is due to the restriction. But it should be possible to attenuate the worst of the sound without major restriction.

If you have room, I think the quickest way to that goal is a 1/4 wave resonator tube, welded on at right angles. However, the room will probably be an issue, based on the required length.

Failing that, I think that switching to turbo mufflers (for a V6 full-size car) is a good first step.

If that doesn't do enough, I think you will need a custom center resonator.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.

I was told one time not to waste money on high flow cats. Just buy larger truck cats and reduce them down. It should be less expensive and still flow...
    J.Miller
    1990 XR7 and 1955 F250!

Quote Originally Posted by superdadsc View Post
    Speaking of drone, I went to Indiana to pick up my 89. I had discussed finishing the exhaust on it. I was told it had headers to a flowmaster muffler for a resonator. I figured it had a pipe running to the back of the car but it did not. The muffler dumped under the car.....headers>flowmaster>nothing.....no pipes, nothing.

I drove the car for 13hrs like that. The drone was so loud that it vibrated the dash, side mirrors. I bought ear plugs and they did nothing to stop the noise. Took close to two hrs for my ears to stop ringing and playing tricks on me when I got home. It sounded like a alien mothership was trying to land on my roof!!!
    That is enough drone for two cars!!

Quote Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
    Interesting - you have super turbos on one end, but no headers on the other. I wonder which is the bigger drone killer?
    Having the 26" glasspack in the mid pipe is what kills the drone! I ran without it at first and it droned BAD
    93 SC Red Aod 4.2/2.3lwhipple 422rwhp 11.360
    2013 Shootout Bracket ET First Place
    2015 Shootout Car Show Honerable Mention
    2016 Shootout Mod-1 First Place
    2018 Shootout Pro Street Runner Up
    Coming soon new motor 2300 TVS etc..
    90 35th aod stock, 90 5 speed Bolton Build in progress

The sound tubes do not have to be welded at 90 degree angles. The sound waves can turn and bend. Some of the examples in the that thread I posted. They lay at angles and even parallel the exhaust under the car. The best example is the intake tube resonater on like every intake tube made.

SWS

Quote Originally Posted by seawalkersee View Post
    The sound tubes do not have to be welded at 90 degree angles. The sound waves can turn and bend. Some of the examples in the that thread I posted. They lay at angles and even parallel the exhaust under the car. The best example is the intake tube resonater on like every intake tube made.

SWS
    That's true, though the junction should be at right angles, as far as I know. I would imagine weird interference patterns might result from an angled entry. But I don't do acoustics for a living.
    God bless!!!

Former Birds:
    1990 SC auto ... red outside, gray cloth inside ... ~225,000 miles ... Sold.
    1990 SC auto ... white outside, gray cloth inside ... ~150,000 miles ... wrecked.
    1989 Base auto ... Crystal Blue metallic outside, dark blue inside ... ~160,000 miles ... Sold.