I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

The spun metallic cats are a waste of time, sorry to say. They don't work that well and do nothing for drone. They sure do flow well though! Since that is done now though, suggest you forget about the part you just replaced and just get some new mufflers out back. Hushmat isn't going to do anything for you. The SC is well insulated in the first place. Go ahead and get the VT's. Do it sooner than later too, there are few things worse than a loud droning SC.

PS. Headers have no appreciable affect.

The headers came with the car and I have no plans to remove them. Going to install the Hushmat and see if it makes a difference. The sound issue is inside the car - my wife thought it sounded great as I came down the road and pulled into my driveway. It's almost there as far as how loud it is inside...

This weekend when my buddy comes comes over (he used to also own a 94 Teal 4R70W!) I will let him drive and I will sit in the back to see if it louder there than in the front.

When my budget allows, I will try out the VT's. (If I could just install them myself I would go ahead and do it now!)

Thanks for the continued input Dave - unlike your opinion of headers - it is appreciated! :D

P.S. Not sure if I was clear enough before, but I passed on the spun metallic cats and still have no cats...

It's weird.....the SC is the first car that I've had that I've wanted to keep dead quiet, instead of pretty loud. I like the inconspicuous, sleeper nature of the car. Threads like these are good for knowing that longtubes--which would add appreciable noise--don't do much for performance on a stock or mildly modified car.

UPDATE! Well, I finally got around to ordering those Dynomax VT mufflers (got 2 from Advance Auto for $130 shipped), and had them installed this morning.

NO MORE DRONE! :D It is 80% gone. It was so nice driving home and finally hearing the sound of my engine revving, blower whining, and a proper exhaust note. I'm happy that these drone destroying mufflers actually turned out to be everything they were supposed to be. It felt like a different car. I have thoughts again!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I'm glad you like these mufflers as much as I do! They made a world of difference to my setup also!

Car looks great, hope to see ya again at Carlisle next year!

-Tim

Awesome. I too have them and they are sitting in the trunk waiting for install. Glad to hear they are what they claim.

What is the rest of your setup?

I'm glad you like these mufflers as much as I do! They made a world of difference to my setup also!

Car looks great, hope to see ya again at Carlisle next year!

-Tim

Thanks! Yes, looking forward to Carlisle next year, and the drive out now too!

Awesome. I too have them and they are sitting in the trunk waiting for install. Glad to hear they are what they claim.

What is the rest of your setup?

New custom 2.5, 3.0, 2.5: Kooks mid length headers, no cats, custom down tubes (one with wideband o2 bung), 18" Magnaflow resonator, Dynomax VT 15" mufflers. The exhaust is nicely done, with flanges at the end of the headers and at the resonator outlet.

New custom 2.5, 3.0, 2.5: Kooks mid length headers, no cats, custom down tubes (one with wideband o2 bung), 18" Magnaflow resonator, Dynomax VT 15" mufflers. The exhaust is nicely done, with flanges at the end of the headers and at the resonator outlet.

Ok you only changed the mufflers. Mine was 2.5 true duals to cats to x-type Dynomax UltraFlo to 2.5 Dynomax UltraFlos. Hated the drone. Right now it's a hack job that is worse so I'll be getting on this soon.

Ok you only changed the mufflers. Mine was 2.5 true duals to cats to x-type Dynomax UltraFlo to 2.5 Dynomax UltraFlos. Hated the drone. Right now it's a hack job that is worse so I'll be getting on this soon.

Yes. The first change was just replacing the burned out 14" resonator with a longer 18" resonator (both Magnaflows). That had minimal impact. This time around I just swapped the mufflers for the VT's, and had the tailpipes point at an angle out the back instead of straight down under the valence as they were with the other mufflers. That probably helped a bit too.

Yes. The first change was just replacing the burned out 14" resonator with a longer 18" resonator (both Magnaflows). That had minimal impact. This time around I just swapped the mufflers for the VT's, and had the tailpipes point at an angle out the back instead of straight down under the valence as they were with the other mufflers. That probably helped a bit too.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........................when you get on it they get loud???

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........................when you get on it they get loud???

I had no problem with how the old mufflers sounded at WOT - I think the VT's sound better but I can't say for sure if they're actually louder or not. I can say they make me do this: :D

For those that like to order from www.rockauto.com use WALKER as the brand and 17964 as the part number. Currently listed at 119.79 or go to Advanced Auto online and use promo code M41 and it is 122 but will free shipping.

For those that like to order from www.rockauto.com use WALKER as the brand and 17964 as the part number. Currently listed at 119.79 or go to Advanced Auto online and use promo code M41 and it is 122 but will free shipping.

Not sure why you'd want a dual inlet muffler? I picked 17949 because it matched the dimensions of the muffler that was already in place, but if you go to the Dynomax site there are plenty of configurations to choose from. Mine were $91 apiece from Advance Auto, then I found an online coupon for $50 off and shipping was free.

UPDATE! Well, I finally got around to ordering those Dynomax VT mufflers (got 2 from Advance Auto for $130 shipped), and had them installed this morning.

NO MORE DRONE! :D It is 80% gone. It was so nice driving home and finally hearing the sound of my engine revving, blower whining, and a proper exhaust note. I'm happy that these drone destroying mufflers actually turned out to be everything they were supposed to be. It felt like a different car. I have thoughts again!

View attachment 62355View attachment 62354View attachment 62353View attachment 62352

Mufflex does all my exhaust work!!!! Glad they took care of your drone.... they did my 2.5" catless downtubes to an ax X pipe out to full duals all the way back tucking in Magnaflow muffs with tips like yours.

Wait.
Ricardo posted a few updates to this and they are gone.

I love when old threads are resurrected.

Wait.
Ricardo posted a few updates to this and they are gone.

I love when old threads are resurrected.
It wont let me post thinks I am a spamer.

Bumping this thread back up, drove for quite a while on my new to me stainless racing exhaust. I am making it more street friendly as that was my intention when I picked it up, I have rear exiting tips on my bumper, and the downturns needed to be cut and fabbed. But it needs help badly in the drone department. I have spent all week looking for mufflers that will help and solve the drone problem. The backdrop is Kooks long tubes, 304SS massive 3" Y into 3.5", 3.5" in/out Magnaflow straight flow resonator (packing is likely worn out), back to another 3.5" to two 3" Y, last a pair of 3" magnaflow straight flow mufflers with the exit/tips enlarged to 3.5". The original poster stated the same problem this set up and many other has had.

It was suggested that the mid resonator could use a new one but I am not risking testing this theory out as the drone is pretty large and a new resonator would just be a band aid.

On the exhaust exhaust it replaced. I had great success with Borla XS mufflers and the Magnaflow resonator, but as time passes and a few fire balls later the system become louder as the resonator wears out. The Borla XS do a great job trying to muffle the tame the drone, and still my old set up was drone free. But that was using dual 2.5" piping, I fear that another set of Borla XS will have a hard time doing the same job given that the pipes on the system are 3.5" and 3" on of the largest set up in the community.

This leads me to moving away from straight through mufflers to turbo chambered, I got excited when I noticed the Dynomax VT were are solution for the OHV V6 drone. But those are no longer being made, the few left overs are not 3" in/out, this was likely discontinued due to high internal valve failure rates. So the search kept leading back to Dynomax super turbos, the problem is that for the 3" in/out they are only aluminized, not stainless steel, they make a 2.5" stainless :( . So I looked into Magnaflow XL as they are also turbo chamber. But those don't have insulation and most claim the XL stands for extral loud. So my search finally landed me to Stainless Works chambered with insulation, they offer 3" in/out in all configurations, offset, center etc, and are the typical 14"-15" sized case, and are stainless 304. But they are pricy, at $180 each. The 3" is limiting my options greatly, but before I pull the trigger and spend the kids college fund on these, am I missing any other options.

Another note to make is that to minimize work required to make them fit, the magnaflows they are replacing are center in and center out 14" case. So I need at minimum a center in to start, so they land at about the same location. I can manage with offset out due to the rear exiting tips on my car. The issue with that most turbo chambered work best for flow in a opposite offset in/out configuration. The center In will likely negatively affect the way the air moves within the chamber. Anyways let me hear some thoughts since this is 2019.

Jacob, the Mustand mufflers are 2.5" before we pitch those to the mix, plus 304SS is sexy stuff.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Stainless+Works/842/TM5C2O2C/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvM20nLXl5gIVRJyzCh1LZgQEEAQYASABEgKPavD_BwE

Last edited:
Back