Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I can hardly think with all this DRONE...

Quote Originally Posted by XR7 Dave View Post
    The spun metallic cats are a waste of time, sorry to say. They don't work that well and do nothing for drone. They sure do flow well though! Since that is done now though, suggest you forget about the part you just replaced and just get some new mufflers out back. Hushmat isn't going to do anything for you. The SC is well insulated in the first place. Go ahead and get the VT's. Do it sooner than later too, there are few things worse than a loud droning SC.

PS. Headers have no appreciable affect.
    The headers came with the car and I have no plans to remove them. Going to install the Hushmat and see if it makes a difference. The sound issue is inside the car - my wife thought it sounded great as I came down the road and pulled into my driveway. It's almost there as far as how loud it is inside...

This weekend when my buddy comes comes over (he used to also own a 94 Teal 4R70W!) I will let him drive and I will sit in the back to see if it louder there than in the front.

When my budget allows, I will try out the VT's. (If I could just install them myself I would go ahead and do it now!)

Thanks for the continued input Dave - unlike your opinion of headers - it is appreciated!

P.S. Not sure if I was clear enough before, but I passed on the spun metallic cats and still have no cats...

It's weird.....the SC is the first car that I've had that I've wanted to keep dead quiet, instead of pretty loud. I like the inconspicuous, sleeper nature of the car. Threads like these are good for knowing that longtubes--which would add appreciable noise--don't do much for performance on a stock or mildly modified car.

UPDATE! Well, I finally got around to ordering those Dynomax VT mufflers (got 2 from Advance Auto for $130 shipped), and had them installed this morning.

NO MORE DRONE! It is 80% gone. It was so nice driving home and finally hearing the sound of my engine revving, blower whining, and a proper exhaust note. I'm happy that these drone destroying mufflers actually turned out to be everything they were supposed to be. It felt like a different car. I have thoughts again!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  356.8 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  303.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  303.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  399.1 KB

I'm glad you like these mufflers as much as I do! They made a world of difference to my setup also!

Car looks great, hope to see ya again at Carlisle next year!

-Tim
    Current Collection
    1994 Thunderbird SC - Auto converted to 5spd

1995 Thunderbird SC - Auto

1994 Thunderbird SC - 5spd
    1989 Thunderbird SC - 5spd - Daily Driver
    1990 Thunder/Cougar XR7 - 5spd
    1994 Thunderbird SC - 3v Project

Awesome. I too have them and they are sitting in the trunk waiting for install. Glad to hear they are what they claim.

What is the rest of your setup?
    95 SC Auto
    95 SC 5-speed Toy
    Rodney

Best time 95 5spd 14.58 @ 93.50 totally stock and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Groth View Post
    I'm glad you like these mufflers as much as I do! They made a world of difference to my setup also!

Car looks great, hope to see ya again at Carlisle next year!

-Tim
    Thanks! Yes, looking forward to Carlisle next year, and the drive out now too!

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    Awesome. I too have them and they are sitting in the trunk waiting for install. Glad to hear they are what they claim.

What is the rest of your setup?
    New custom 2.5, 3.0, 2.5: Kooks mid length headers, no cats, custom down tubes (one with wideband o2 bung), 18" Magnaflow resonator, Dynomax VT 15" mufflers. The exhaust is nicely done, with flanges at the end of the headers and at the resonator outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
    New custom 2.5, 3.0, 2.5: Kooks mid length headers, no cats, custom down tubes (one with wideband o2 bung), 18" Magnaflow resonator, Dynomax VT 15" mufflers. The exhaust is nicely done, with flanges at the end of the headers and at the resonator outlet.
    Ok you only changed the mufflers. Mine was 2.5 true duals to cats to x-type Dynomax UltraFlo to 2.5 Dynomax UltraFlos. Hated the drone. Right now it's a hack job that is worse so I'll be getting on this soon.
    95 SC Auto
    95 SC 5-speed Toy
    Rodney

Best time 95 5spd 14.58 @ 93.50 totally stock and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
    Ok you only changed the mufflers. Mine was 2.5 true duals to cats to x-type Dynomax UltraFlo to 2.5 Dynomax UltraFlos. Hated the drone. Right now it's a hack job that is worse so I'll be getting on this soon.
    Yes. The first change was just replacing the burned out 14" resonator with a longer 18" resonator (both Magnaflows). That had minimal impact. This time around I just swapped the mufflers for the VT's, and had the tailpipes point at an angle out the back instead of straight down under the valence as they were with the other mufflers. That probably helped a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by joenintiesc View Post
    Yes. The first change was just replacing the burned out 14" resonator with a longer 18" resonator (both Magnaflows). That had minimal impact. This time around I just swapped the mufflers for the VT's, and had the tailpipes point at an angle out the back instead of straight down under the valence as they were with the other mufflers. That probably helped a bit too.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................ ..when you get on it they get loud???
    They don't call me "SLOWPOKE" for nothin!
    http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_v...vehicle&id=110
    Quote Originally Posted by ricardoa1 View Post
    I love the filter. Its pimp. paper element and 10Mircron filtration, 12" long cause size matters.

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX View Post
    SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........................ ..when you get on it they get loud???
    I had no problem with how the old mufflers sounded at WOT - I think the VT's sound better but I can't say for sure if they're actually louder or not. I can say they make me do this:

Sorry, found the link.
    Last edited by BirdofPrey97; 11-06-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

Mustang. Take. Offs.

(chambered, stainless, affordable, no drone!)
    3 SC's over a pair of SHO's ...

Plat O Ribs Full House of SVT!
    SCCoA Member#: 3251

For those that like to order from www.rockauto.com use WALKER as the brand and 17964 as the part number. Currently listed at 119.79 or go to Advanced Auto online and use promo code M41 and it is 122 but will free shipping.
    Honor, Grace and Dignity......Remember these

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofPrey97 View Post
    For those that like to order from www.rockauto.com use WALKER as the brand and 17964 as the part number. Currently listed at 119.79 or go to Advanced Auto online and use promo code M41 and it is 122 but will free shipping.
    Not sure why you'd want a dual inlet muffler? I picked 17949 because it matched the dimensions of the muffler that was already in place, but if you go to the Dynomax site there are plenty of configurations to choose from. Mine were $91 apiece from Advance Auto, then I found an online coupon for $50 off and shipping was free.