Soon to be new owner of '93 SuperCoupe!!

Pearl93sc

Hello All! Very strong chance I will be purchasing a '93 SC today!

I have been a Ford guys for way too many years, have a '97 LX SPORT Thunderbird and thought a SC would be fun.

It has 135k on it and seems, by the pictures to be in pretty good shape, except the seller says the bearings in the supercharger are starting to go.

Is this kinda normal? I have looked up rebuild kits for the supercharger and it doesn't look too hard to do.

Anything else I should check when I see the car this afternoon?

I'm seeing some info about blown head gaskets......is this from too much boost or just something that happens and considered normal?

Thanks for any input!

I am nowhere as knowledgeable as some of the other guys in this forum but my research and experience has told me its not "If the head gaskets with fail" its, "when they will fail". Mine is currently in the shop with 114k on it and its having the head gaskets redone. The felpro gaskets are the way to go. Once they are fixed with the better gaskets they last alot longer. Good luck with the purchase.

OK, Gotcha, Thanks! Thinking that the tell-tale signs of a blown head gasket would be common stuff such as coolant in oil and vise-versa........

Anything else to look out for on '93s over the rest........

I've now seen more pictures and its a bit rougher than I first thought and will most-likely need paint, and drivers seat re-upholstered but still looks halfway decent keeping in mind its 21 years old....

It has a Black interior which I love!

Did '93s come from the factory with a spoiler? there is one on it and I remember seeing SCs at shows with and without spoilers.....

I kinda passed on it and suggested he come and post it here, but he says he hasn't got time and it will go to the scrap yard, so I told him I'd give him whatever the scrap price was.......he was originally at $900.00obo.....

I say offer him $600 for it. He gets more than scrap value, you get a fun car with minimal work to get it on the road, and worst case if it grenades or blows head gaskets, you can always part it out for more than you paid, so you have nothing to lose.

Anything else I should check when I see the car this afternoon?

Seen this linked guide?

You may need to check the supercharger w/the belt removed. Rock the pulley back/forth and see if you can detect excess play in the coupler, then side/side to see if the bearings in the snout are ok. Might need to remove the fill plug to check the oil level - if you do, be aware there may be pressure inside and you don't want to take a bath in that oil...stinks. Snout/coupler repair is easier than rotor/case bearings, I think.

Might be that spoilers were installed at the dealership when new, so their presence can be hit/miss.

Good luck.

Thanks Guys!! Kinda thinking the same way.....

IF the engine is no good can I get a newer n/a 3.8 and swap it in using all the SC externals including the supercharger?

Seems like too good of a car to just part out and they are getting hard to find......

Otherwise I MAY swap the side skirts and front bumper cover onto my '97 LX along with the fold-down back seat, then sell the rest in parts......

Thanks Guys!! Kinda thinking the same way.....

IF the engine is no good can I get a newer n/a 3.8 and swap it in using all the SC externals including the supercharger?

Seems like too good of a car to just part out and they are getting hard to find......

Otherwise I MAY swap the side skirts and front bumper cover onto my '97 LX along with the fold-down back seat, then sell the rest in parts......

The NA 3.8 is not strong enough to hold up to the supercharger. It will work, but probably not for very long. If the motor is completely blown, then either a rebuild, or a used SC motor are your only real options. If the car runs and drives, or can be made to run and drive fairly cheaply and easily, by all means don't part it, but if it just isn't financially viable to fix, don't feel too bad about parting it out. It isn't a pristine low-mileage car, so unfortunately it will never be worth a lot of money, and the parts would go to keeping other better shape SCs on the road. Plus you could get some upgrades for your LX! Without seeing the car, it is hard to say for sure, but if you can get a complete SC for $600, you really can't go wrong. If you fix it, you have a fun car that you don't have too much money invested in, and if it doesn't make sense to fix it, you part it out, upgrade your other bird, help out some other SC owners, and probably make a few bucks.

3.8L NA engine will not hold up to the boosted application. The SC engine has forged internals to strengthen. You would want to source an SC engine if you decide to swap in another engine.

Regarding Head Gaskets, my understanding is the problem manifests due to poor Antifreeze maintenance, over time there are a few narrow passages that become weak due to dissimilar metals corrosion. Cars that have had fluid maintainance on time will tend to avoid HG failure. Or so I understand, I'm not sure and have no personal experience, but I believe this (or something akin to this explanation) was put forth by a seasoned engine builder experienced with SC's.

Well Thanks Guys for the info! I really appreciate it.

We have owned the '97 LX "Sport" 4.6 for about 15 years now and love it, so when I found the SC on CL it was very interesting.

I guess I'll know better once I take a look.......doesn't sound like the engine is in trouble right now, just the bearings in the supercharger according to the seller............

I have an EXCELLENT auto upholstery guy here locally, so the set is a no brainer, and I'm about to get the LX Sport re-painted, so may be I can swing a deal and get both done at once........

Then go over stuff, re-build the supercharger and see what happens......

3.8L NA engine will not hold up to the boosted application. The SC engine has forged internals to strengthen. You would want to source an SC engine if you decide to swap in another engine.

Regarding Head Gaskets, my understanding is the problem manifests due to poor Antifreeze maintenance, over time there are a few narrow passages that become weak due to dissimilar metals corrosion. Cars that have had fluid maintainance on time will tend to avoid HG failure. Or so I understand, I'm not sure and have no personal experience, but I believe this (or something akin to this explanation) was put forth by a seasoned engine builder experienced with SC's.

They really have to do with the restrictive exhaust. The driver's side does a 90* in the cat. The down tubes are double walled and can separate and then partially or fully close off the tube. All of this is causing excessive back pressure. There is an old thread that describes something like WOT 5000 rpm 11~psi boost 15 psi pressure at the exhaust manifold. If you don't 'Rod' your engine, it will last longer before the gaskets go. Mine went on a high boost run in 3rd gear at about 95K on the odo. I found about the tubing when I had the exhaust redone. Mine is a '93 trip black, was 5 spd.

Last edited:
Back