How to check codes?

supercoupe92FL

This may be kind of a dumb question but...

I see all the discussion about codes and wondering, what do I need to check codes and how do I do it?

You will need some sort of code reader. the conection point/port is under the hood on the passanger side near the firewall.

Yes you can go there or almost any automotive place. The price will depend on the option. I own the auto X-Ray which was $500 but it is programable and I got it with all the whistles and bells.

here is where I got mine at Auto Checkup

you can check them with a test light and a jumper wire,there is a black plug under the hood on the pass. side by the fire wall and a single wire plug. hold that plug in your hand with the 4 wires on the bottom, 2 on top. connect the single wire plug to the top right wire with a jumper wire.connect the test light wire to the pos. side of the battery,then push the metal part of the test light into the 2nd hole from the left on the bottom 4 wires.turn your key on and watch the test light or check engine light for the codes.
check out the 35ththuderbirdregistry.org site for more detailed instructions.you can do either key on egine off or key on engine runnig tests.
good luck.
joe

where is the 35anniversary site and u mean i'm able to read codes and find out why my car has a hard time idling when warm. could it tell me if a sensor is out?

have code scanner for sale ... $25 postage paid. Sunpro model CP9015 for 1981 - 1995 Fomoco EECIV and MCU systems.

Back