Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm pulling the M5R2 in my 94 - what else should I be doing? (SPEND MY MONEY!)

and that hanger for the fuel fill hose,that will allow it to drop down enough.

Thanks guys, lots of good info in here. It's been so long since I've worked on the car, I forget what I have done. I think I've done the trans mounts. . . Guess I'll find out!

Looks more and more like I should stay away from spec. More and more people I talk to aren't thrilled with it. Can't get the centerforces any more either. Nor can I get a clutch from Ford. Seems the aftermarket is also dry short of an autozone type clutch, which I'm thrilled about.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    and that hanger for the fuel fill hose,that will allow it to drop down enough.
    I've never touched anything with the fill hose when pulling the driveshaft, just unplug the one grey electrical connector, support the tank with a jack, unbolt the front bolt on the right side strap and push it out of the way, then unbolt both bolts on the left side strap, and drop it down enough to slide the driveshaft over top of the left side of the tank, then pull it out of the trans, then forward out of the car.

You are actually going to be working on your back???? This is new for the you. I am still looking into the clutch kit for you.

Btw the belt is in. I'm getting it on Tuesday with your battery

Ken
    1992 Thunderbird SC
    13.322 @ 102.81
    1993 Thunderbird SC 5spd..white
    2002 F350 SD Diesel (SC tow vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Seegers View Post
    You are actually going to be working on your back???? This is new for the you. I am still looking into the clutch kit for you.

Btw the belt is in. I'm getting it on Tuesday with your battery

Ken
    Oh HELL NO! I'm probably going to be borrowing/renting a bay/lift for a day or two from a friend.

Let me know on the clutch, but I did find someone that has a clutch that is barely used that I'm going to buy regardless. I spoke with Ed and he said that while Ford showed a kit for '94-'95, it was the same part number as the '89-93, so apparently Ford never made a clutch "kit" for '94-95. Just have to buy the individual components.

Bring the belt and battery with you to work. I might be out there on Wednesday.

There is no 95 clutch, hasn't been for quite a few years since Valeo discontinued the PP core and no one else picked it up. Just get a clutch for an 89-93 SC and forget about it. It's what us racers have been doing for years, since there never was a high performance clutch available in the 95 version.

I recommend a Centerforce I (not the DF) for lighter pedal feel and smooth engagement. Any parts store type clutch is going to be a crap shoot anyway since none of them make their own clutches, they are all either made in China or remanned. None of if has any connection anymore to the original build specifications for the car, they are just parts thrown in a box intended to get you by another year until the car dies and you send it to the junkyard.

Spec clutches are horrible for a couple reasons, one very big one is that the aggressive engagement curve is just a PIT-A to live with and generally results in burnt up parts.

If your new slave cylinder has the "updated" connector, recommend removing it and installing your OE fitting. You'll thank me later. Sometimes the 0-ring that comes with the new slave cylinder works and sometimes it's doesn't. I've had a lot of them where the o-ring is too thick and you can't get the fitting to seat. If Ford still has the 0-ring, suggest a new one from Ford if you have trouble with it fitting.

Rear main will probably be seeping, they all do eventually. I'd consider replacing it, but be aware that it's harder than it looks both getting the old one out and getting the new one in without damaging it. I've seen plenty of people replace the seal only to make the leak worse.

If your clutch fluid looks dark/black, be sure to flush it all out using the old slave cylinder first. You don't want to flush that crap into your new slave if you can help it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller View Post
    Ya thats why i tape mine down. People think its bc i dont have a moonroof seal (which is true) but its really to keep my roof from ripping off .
    Email me here.

Dave (And all) -

Thanks so much for the info. Lots of good advice in here. Dave, I actually found someone that has an (almost) NOS '94-'95 clutch and pressure plate from Ford/LUK. He put them in his car for about 3k before pulling them for other work and didn't use them again. Score! If for some reason that doesn't work out, glad to hear the '89-93 clutches are still available (Never thought to look for them, just assumed they were all gone.)

Good info on the slave and o ring.

One last thought, having never had any of this apart - is there a special procedure for bleeding the system with a new slave? I'll definitely be flushing the fluid, because why not at this point?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat DiPersia View Post
    Dave (And all) -

Thanks so much for the info. Lots of good advice in here. Dave, I actually found someone that has an (almost) NOS '94-'95 clutch and pressure plate from Ford/LUK. He put them in his car for about 3k before pulling them for other work and didn't use them again. Score! If for some reason that doesn't work out, glad to hear the '89-93 clutches are still available (Never thought to look for them, just assumed they were all gone.)

Good info on the slave and o ring.

One last thought, having never had any of this apart - is there a special procedure for bleeding the system with a new slave? I'll definitely be flushing the fluid, because why not at this point?
    Pat, by any chance do you have the PN for the stock 94-95 clutch parts? Or 89-93 NOS?
    Current: 1993 SC 5.0L Auto Red, 1994 SC 5-speed Teal, 1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
    Old: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue, 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal
    Also: 1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5-speed Vibrant Red, 1991 BMW 850i 6-speed Red, 1994 BMW 850CSi 6-speed Red

www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!