I'm pulling the M5R2 in my 94 - what else should I be doing? (SPEND MY MONEY!)

Pat DiPersia

SCCoA Admin
Going to be pulling the tranny in my '94 at some point. The car is basically bone stock with 60k on the clock (Though some of those miles were at Pocono Raceway and I was NOT gentle on the clutch!) I think the slave is leaking, so while I'm in there, going to do a clutch (Up in the air between just a basic OEM level replacement vs a spec 1 - prefer a stock feel and it's not getting any performance enhancements.)

So what else should I be doing? Throw out bearing, slave (Obviously. . .) If the rear main seal is dry, will probably leave it be. What else is good to do while the tranny is down? Would like to have all the parts I can available as I might be renting a lift from a friend for a day or two.

I have to pull the fuel tank? That reminds me - I have a custom dual exhaust. That's suddenly going to make this job more of a pain in the ~~~ I bet.

I do have a fuel pump I bought years ago and never put in. Still sitting on the shelf. Believe it's a mustang pump or something? I forget.

U joints - good call.

I have to pull the fuel tank? That reminds me - I have a custom dual exhaust. That's suddenly going to make this job more of a pain in the ~~~ I bet.

I do have a fuel pump I bought years ago and never put in. Still sitting on the shelf. Believe it's a mustang pump or something? I forget.

U joints - good call.

Tank hasn't been removed on mine ever and I'm on transmission #6.

Drop the diff slide the driveshaft back and you're there. However you could still drop the tank and do as you had mentioned...depends on how involved you want it to be.

-Tim

Good point, but did it MANY years ago when you could actually get them. One of the best upgrades!

Best mod for a five speed and ONLY mod on mine currently! :)

FYI Victor at spinning wheels still has/can get ripper shifters new i found this out after i paid ALMOST as much as new for a used one lol

How old is the starter?

Is there a bushing in the rear of the crank?

Do you have a clutch alignment tool?

Have you already replaced the trans & crossmember mounts?

Dropping the diff is easier than the tank?

I always found it easiest to unbolt the tank and let the driver's side hang down. Doing that, you can get the driveshaft out without having to disconnect any fuel lines, just disconnect the one electrical connector going to it so that the tank doesn't hang on the fuel pump wiring.

just to let you know,i am currently having issues with a spec 1 and a steel flywheel from spec,if you happen to downshift every once and a while coming off of the freeway or just downshifting in general get ready because mine chatters or shutters .for a suppose to be stock replacement i personally am not happy,as a matter of fact i am having the clutch changed again its in the shop now,i never even made it home and brought it back to my mechanic.Talking to several people and mechanics i believe the spec to be to agressive.Thats my opinion anyway.i have a 95,if you like the way your car shifted before i would look other places.I left it up to my mechanic what he wanted to use this go around,due to him having to back it up and he is actually helping me out major on the labor for the new clutch install,all new mounts and the input and output shaft bearings checked out on the trans.just thought i would inform you.

I always found it easiest to unbolt the tank and let the driver's side hang down. Doing that, you can get the driveshaft out without having to disconnect any fuel lines, just disconnect the one electrical connector going to it so that the tank doesn't hang on the fuel pump wiring.

Basically what I do. Tank straps are 4 bolts and a jack.

Thanks guys, lots of good info in here. It's been so long since I've worked on the car, I forget what I have done. I think I've done the trans mounts. . . Guess I'll find out!

Looks more and more like I should stay away from spec. More and more people I talk to aren't thrilled with it. Can't get the centerforces any more either. Nor can I get a clutch from Ford. Seems the aftermarket is also dry short of an autozone type clutch, which I'm thrilled about.

and that hanger for the fuel fill hose,that will allow it to drop down enough.

I've never touched anything with the fill hose when pulling the driveshaft, just unplug the one grey electrical connector, support the tank with a jack, unbolt the front bolt on the right side strap and push it out of the way, then unbolt both bolts on the left side strap, and drop it down enough to slide the driveshaft over top of the left side of the tank, then pull it out of the trans, then forward out of the car.

You are actually going to be working on your back???? This is new for the you. I am still looking into the clutch kit for you.

Btw the belt is in. I'm getting it on Tuesday with your battery

Ken

You are actually going to be working on your back???? This is new for the you. I am still looking into the clutch kit for you.

Btw the belt is in. I'm getting it on Tuesday with your battery

Ken

Oh HELL NO! I'm probably going to be borrowing/renting a bay/lift for a day or two from a friend.

Let me know on the clutch, but I did find someone that has a clutch that is barely used that I'm going to buy regardless. I spoke with Ed and he said that while Ford showed a kit for '94-'95, it was the same part number as the '89-93, so apparently Ford never made a clutch "kit" for '94-95. Just have to buy the individual components.

Bring the belt and battery with you to work. I might be out there on Wednesday.

Back