And the fun ends abruptly....

I have rebuilt (brushes and seals) one of these motors myself. It's not hard; it just takes a little patience and a few tools. Any decent electric motor shop could do it. A few of the parts - seals, brush holders - are not commonly available, but I think all replacements for this are available if you work at getting them.

If nobody local wants to handle the job, you can send it to this guy on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIG-JAGUAR...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce6f31480&vxp=mtr
I have not used his services myself, so it's not a full endorsement, but he does them.

I had considered getting a couple dedicated tools and doing these on the side myself, but I don't have time anymore, since my real job is keeping me busy. Which is good!

Steve, I'm hoping you're right on that...that's pretty much what Dean the ASE tech told me today.

If RJs parts car has a working unit I will try for that first, if it doesn't then I'll see if Angelo will reimburse me so I can have a rebuilder work on what I have (I have 2 broken spares along with Angelo's, which I will give back to him)

Trouble with the Cougar?

Well it hasn't been running for 4 weeks now :( The fuel injection installation is taking longer than I had planned and won't be done anytime soon. I will be very busy over the next 4-6 weeks. So the new target completion date is late October.

Bryan

Well it hasn't been running for 4 weeks now :( The fuel injection installation is taking longer than I had planned and won't be done anytime soon. I will be very busy over the next 4-6 weeks. So the new target completion date is late October.

Bryan

Hey...Late October sounds good to me!...at the rate things are going with my car, I'll hope for things to be back to semi-normal by New Years :(

P.S. Did I mention that I found a door ding in my passenger door and some paint removal?

Yep....

UFB... For some reason that doesn't surprise me at all.

Bryan

Amazing huh?

Turns out they didn't actually swap my old M/C/ back in, like Kenny said he *thought* they did...so, I came home and pulled the thing out of the car and I'll just hope the unit RJ has on his parts car works.

I will put it in myself if it does.

If not, I'll leave Angelo's system with RJ or send it back to him if he wants it, and ask Angelo for a refund and probably wind up putting non-abs system in...unless Lenz tells me they can do a rebuild on the pump motor ...

Will be in touch RJ

Wow just catching up will all this. Let me know what you come up with here.
There is the 91 parts car at RJ's, its still in the car so a quick battery connect should tell the tale there.
Dan I am so sorry you had problems, I would have never offered a known bad abs unit to anyone !!
I am still is disbelief a working unit took a dump from just sitting :confused:
Just let me know either way.
Angelo.

Thx Angelo, I know you're not at fault, just old parts and unpredictable...

Will let you know what's up with the parts car unit this weekend hopefully...TTYS

Wow just catching up will all this. Let me know what you come up with here.
There is the 91 parts car at RJ's, its still in the car so a quick battery connect should tell the tale there.
Dan I am so sorry you had problems, I would have never offered a known bad abs unit to anyone !!
I am still is disbelief a working unit took a dump from just sitting :confused:
Just let me know either way.
Angelo.

For the motor itself not to work from sitting is pretty odd. It's possible the brushes are down to the nubs and it was on the edge of not running before.

For the motor itself not to work from sitting is pretty odd. It's possible the brushes are down to the nubs and it was on the edge of not running before.

Steve that's about the only explanation I can think of. It worked when I set it aside.
It must have been on its last leg to begin with ??
I really can't explain ??
BUT I am a honest guy and never jerk people around either.

Angelo, sent you a message on Facebook about today with RJ...

Well folks, I'm back to square one...

If my local electric motor shop doesn't want to attempt rebuilding my old pump motor, I'm going to put a conventional braking system on the car. I'm not going to send a unit away for a rebuild, too dicey if something fails prematurely, at least locally I know Lenz has been in the area for 20+ years...I'm exhausted just from the last 2 months on dealing with this system, put too much time and $$$ out and the car has only been damaged in the process...

Thanks for the support from Steve, Angelo, Bryan, RJ etc. I appreciate it.

Thx Angelo,

Dan... Please don't discard your old ABS assembly or pump motors. I'll take them off your hands.

Please let me know if you need anything while converting over to conventional brakes.

Bryan

I will keep it for you Bry, no worries.

I have the system in, bench bled the master cylinder and the lines are hooked up. Bleeding is next...

RJ, if you are reading this, could you please let me know about my phone text to you on Saturday morning , thx....

Well folks, it's been almost 4 months and I'm happy to report the Sc finally has brakes. I drove it about 3 miles and they feel good, with quick engagement and good pedal feel. I was initially concerned that maybe they were dragging because at highway speeds I felt the car was kind of different in feel, sort of like "held back" a bit but...I think it might be more a factor of having been solely driving the GS400 for the last few months, with its extra gear, higher rear end ratio and more HP, and I need to get used to the lower rear geared, 4 speed auto, less HP SC again.

To be more certain, I jacked up the front wheels and they spin fine with no obvious dragging, and I jacked up both rear wheels and ran it in neutral and they spin without any rubbing sounds...so I will keep my eye on things and take a longer drive in the next few days and see if the fluid is getting hot or the rotors hotter than they should.

I was pretty sure i adjusted the booster screw correctly, but there's that little bit of uncertainty in everything I do.

Next, I have to take the car to the muffler shop and see if they can put that cat/pipe on the driver's side Y pipe....

Then paint/body work to repair all the damage the 'repair" shop did...

Slow climb back, but...even if i have some minor adjustments on the pedal rod, NO MORE ABS WOES!!!

WOOT!

BTW, I spent a total of $55 on the booster ($35) and master cylinder ($14.95+ shipping). But having brakes again= priceless. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Kurt, RJ...

Well, I found out why the car felt that way on the highway...DOH...my transmission (Lentech) O/D switch was off, so the car was in 3d gear at 60 mph...you think I would have checked that right away...

Took it to get gas this morning and aside from the cat making noise, the car felt and ran well.

I'm pinching myself that I can actually get in it and drive again...been too long. :)

Hey Bry, thanks for the phone call and the advice, it didn't solve it but it led to the solution...

I swapped out the air temp sensor and still had the check engine light, but I noticed the wire feed was twisted and kinked under the plenum, probably something the shop did when R&R -ing the ABS M/C...and the minute I straightened the wire out, I checked the dash and the light went off and stayed off the last couple days.

Think that was it. Car is running great. Got and appt. next Monday to have the cat/pipe replaced...

:)

Back