And the fun ends abruptly....

Maybe the oil started blowing out of the valve cover because you plugged the other leak.

But you didn't mention any crankcase explosion or backfire, so it still seems odd.

Maybe the valve cover gaskets have been loose for a while and would have leaked sooner, except the dipstick hole compensated by bleeding off pressure?

Maybe the oil started blowing out of the valve cover because you plugged the other leak.

But you didn't mention any crankcase explosion or backfire, so it still seems odd.

Maybe the valve cover gaskets have been loose for a while and would have leaked sooner, except the dipstick hole compensated by bleeding off pressure?

Not bad theories!

I may never know ....these cars can pull some STRANGE things though.

ROF...yeah RJ, well, let's just say I'm paying the (time delay) price for telling them I "don't need it in a hurry"...stopped by last Saturday and Dean the head tech said it's 1/2 done. He had another guy do the passenger side valve cover gasket, and he (that tech) balked about doing the driver's side.

Dean was kind of laughing about the guy because he told him "Jesus Christ it's a few nuts and bolts, not the space shuttle".

Dean said the guy was intimidated because of the intercoolers and because it's a "really shiny nice car" and he didn't want any part of it because he was afraid to mess up & scratch it etc. I think the former is B.S. because hey, he has to work on all kinds of cars, some a lot more intimidating than even the SC, so I think maybe he is just too nervous about damaging the paint etc. Maybe he had a close call...I plan to check the bumper and fenders well when i get it.

So...personally, Dean's worked on the car so many times over the years, and I'm not thrilled with anyone else, esp. with that attitude, touching the car.

Last thing Dean said to me, apologetically was; " I'm sorry I haven't personally got it done but I'm just so swamped, but I can promise you we won't be having this conversation next week (i.e. this week) at this time"..

So I expect it home Friday or Saturday...~ crosses fingers~

Last edited:
Another SC horror story put to bed without soiling the sheets.

Best Wishes for continued worry free driving fun.

Dan..... at least your guys have done some work on the SC... I had an appointment to take my 69 Cougar to a highly regarded shop here in O-Town for some tuning and it sat for 2 weeks with nothing done. Guess they didn't need my money! I was willing to pay whatever it took to get the engine properly tuned. It must be nice to turn down work. FU Powered By Ford. I wouldn't take my Radio Flyer to them if you paid me to.

Best of luck and hope they get it done soon.

Bryan

I recall that one Bry, I don't know how those guys stay in business. Then...If they DO go out of business they'll probably never figure out why, morons.

Stopped by today again and Kenny showed me I was next on Dean's list after he finished up on a large amount of work on an Explorer, so...

Probably not tomorrow but Monday...

Such is life. It's fine.

Really miss it though...

BTW Bry, I could have them do the rear toe link compensators while it's there, but to be honest, I'd rather come spend an afternoon with you sometime and BS and wrench a bit. Hope that's still possible.

PBF has been that way for 30 years, I went to them for some stuff in the early 80s and they sucked then, I thought they'd be out of business by now..

RJ

PBF has been that way for 30 years, I went to them for some stuff in the early 80s and they sucked then, I thought they'd be out of business by now..

RJ

I knew their reputation in advance and is why I specifically had an appointment to have the tuning done. When I stopped by to check on the progress the second week the car was there, they bold face lied to me. They told me a part for the fuel line was on order and they had to make a new timing indicator. I don't think they ever raised the hood on the car let alone checked the timing. Then they had the nerve to tell me my car got bumped twice for cars that came in over the weekend.

When I picked the car up, one of the owners saw me enter the front door and quickly hid in the machine shop. I told them I was willing to pay whatever it took to get the car running to peak performance. I guess they don't want my money.... they lost out. Went out and purchased an EFI system which I will install myself. FU Powered By Ford!

Bryan

...This week's answer is, once again, NO.

Promises made, promises not kept, still only 1/2 done.

The irony is that I was having them do the V/C gaskets because I didn't have much time initially, and the last couple weeks I have had some time...If I had removed 1 bolt a day I would have had the driver's side done by now, lol.

Such is life. He has promised me Monday now...

See how I'm not holding my breath? Ha...

...This week's answer is, once again, NO.

Promises made, promises not kept, still only 1/2 done.

The irony is that I was having them do the V/C gaskets because I didn't have much time initially, and the last couple weeks I have had some time...If I had removed 1 bolt a day I would have had the driver's side done by now, lol.

Such is life. He has promised me Monday now...

See how I'm not holding my breath? Ha...

That sucks bud, is it at least in out of the weather??

RJ

That sucks bud, is it at least in out of the weather??

RJ

He says he "tries" to put the car in the shop at night, early on I know he did because I didn't see it when i went by after hours... but methinks that lately it's been sitting outside where it was a couple days ago, for a while...a bit dirty...it looks like I'll be doing a full detail on it in September, when I get it back (J/K...I hope!)

Well, there's good news and there's bad news...

Good news;The car is finished...

The bad news: While it was there, I assume just recently, the brakes took a dump (again) hard pedal etc.

Dean said "I don't know why every time it's here basically just sitting you lose the power assist"...

Now, it was in that shop about 7-8 months ago for suspension work, wheel bearing and other items and it happened then. At the time, I was having issues with my turn signals and radio and told them to please check the ignition switch, because I was noticing that when I barely moved the key with the car running, things started working again. So they changed out the ignition and the brakes came back, and I stopped having my turn signals cut out etc. All was well again.

Drove the car the last 7 months and brakes never had an issue, till the news yesterday.

He said he found the ABS 30 amp fuse in the engine compartment was blown, and couldn't locate one locally, so I pulled the master fuse block from my parts car and brought it to him...but he's not working until Monday, and he's the only guy i want working on it, so...

Hurry up and wait again.

I'm thinking that this time the blown fuse is a symptom and not the cause. Pressure switch going? Pump? I have some spare anti-lok relays I can have him swap out if the pump is not shutting off...

Sc's are interesting cars...that's for certain...

BTW. Should mention he isn't charging me anything for the valve cover gasket 'loose heat shield job because it took so long and they did it on (rare) slow days...he is insisting I don't owe him because of all the work I've given him with that car. Honestly, I don't want that because I want to know I appreciate that he even works on the thing...Anyone else ( that was in the know) would run for the hills when they seen it coming . :eek:

Last edited:
Most likely when sitting the ABS loses all pressure, after which point the pump must run for quite awhile to recharge the system. Seems perhaps the pump is going out and drawing way too much current.

....makes sense, thanks Dave.

I have a spare pump that needs to be rebuilt, so I will see if Ed still has that rebuilder and send it to him...

I can ask my shop if they know anyone that does them, but my guess is negatory...

Prior Reman still does them, last I checked. Possibly SIA. Cardone does them, but it might only be for entire MC and pump units. There's a guy on eBay who advertises a rebuild for Jag motors, but he will do other cars as well.

The motor is just a motor, though it has odd brush holders. The pump is a bit unusual.

Those 30 amp fuses should be in your local Pep Boys or whatever. I had no trouble finding one, though they look slightly different.

You will need to swap the fuse, turn the key on, and see what is going on. Report back.

Back