And the fun ends abruptly....

Agreed Bry, and T/Y .

The car was filthy when I picked it up, so a cursory glance of the car didn't raise any flags, although my eye WAS concentrating on door dings etc. and not the lower part of a bumper...lesson there I guess, though seeing it sooner wouldn't have made a difference in this case, he's still owned up to the responsibility.

I know he will make it right, if I can ever get the car drivable again, lol.

As for the failure of the original ABS pump motor, I don't know if it failed due to a leak, just can't remember, but I still have it and if I can ever get hold of Eddie I will have it rebuilt.

Right now Angelo & I are talking about his whole brake M/C he has for sale ...will keep everyone posted on what happens.

When the pump runs, does it sound sick? If it sounds strong then don't just assume it's bad. The relays are a much more common causes of failure.

When the pump runs, does it sound sick? If it sounds strong then don't just assume it's bad. The relays are a much more common causes of failure.

You could install the ABS pump relay from the 91 to see what happens. As Dave said, the relays are a know issue especially with age.

Bryan

Dave, the pumps sounds anemic / weak when it runs...

yeah Bry, i had 2 spares and swapped them in/out, no difference.

Angelo is selling me his complete M/C unit so hopefully I'll be back on the road in August.

Will keep everyone updated, thx

Welp...you guys are gonna love this one...

So, my last post spoke of me swapping relays in/out, I honestly don't know if the relay that was last fitted on is the one that has been on the car, (I had 3 to try) but here's a ridiculous addendum;

After I last fiddled around with the car last week, I had not even touched it...today I needed to move it out of the garage to get my air compressor out, and so I started it up...

Brakes are working.

You read that correct.

I of course saw this as interesting, but I wasn't about to proclaim they are "fixed". I sent Angelo a check and I still want his M/C unit because this sudden turn for the better may only be temporary, and I know I'll need it sooner than later.

I have to find some time to sit with it and see how the pump is running and how often...somehow it has charged the accumulator up enough. I am not forgetting how the main fuse was blown while it was at the shop.

I drove it up to Auto Works to tell them this and to show Kenny the rear bumper damage, he says he will cover it. I also mentioned the exhaust rattle, and they will have to look at that issue again...I have a spare cat in the event one went bad inside.

Going away to N.C. mountains for 10 days at the end of the week so the body repair and the rest will have to wait.

Felt great to have actual power brakes, however short-lived they might be...

It's possible for the pump motor to work intermittently when it's getting close to failure. But it could also be a wiring problem. I guess you will have to wait for a full failure to make sure of what it is. (Or a full disassembly, whichever comes first.)

This is good news but I would be cautious with the brakes. These things don't tend to repair themselves. I would still suspect the pump motor, relay or as mentioned a wiring issue.

Did you ever hear from Ed? I have a spare pump motor and would like to have rebuilt as a spare for future impending failure.

Bryan

Yes, when I get back from the mountains I plan to do some checking on what the pump activity actually is, and if it's within norms my driving will be within a mile or so for a while...

Never did hear from ED...

Last edited:
Hey Dan, Angelo and I went and picked up a couple parts cars today. Since he was coming down I told him to just throw your ABS unit in the truck and I'd bring up to you... Give me a shout when you get home..

RJ

Got home this evening, that was real nice of you RJ,and thanks to Angelo too.

No super hurry RJ, I can meet you somewhere over the weekend if you have time, I can probably even drive down there next week, this week's too busy though..

TTYS

Dan

No problem brother, it's in the truck, Next Saturday I'm going to tackle the pass side ball joints on the dually, did the drivers side last Friday night till about 1AM with Thomas, we aren't doing that crap again.. Next Sunday Joyce and I might come up that way anyway so we'll keep in touch, welcome home BTW.. I just talked to Angelo, he's still on the road headed home, he left here about 1630 headed back to the panhandle, he said he's about two hours from home so I'm wishing him safe travels the rest of the way home..

We'll talk during the week..

RJ

Started it up and drove it after the week away, to get gas, and the brakes were fine for the short trip, right now I plan to see how they do starting it and using it in the driveway for a week before I venture out again (had my hand on the parking brake the whole time and stayed away from other cars). Got it up on ramps and the rattling is definitely coming from the driver's side Cat...seems a no-brainer, so I don't guess they spent much time diagnosing it. I could isolate the rattle there and the passenger side didn't make a similar noise when tapped on. Not coming from the shield (they removed 1 of them last time ) The pipes and brackets are all tight. Had this happen to my Mark VII and the sound is exactly the same.

I'm going to remove the Cat from my parts car and either the shop can bolt & weld it, or I'll see if Bryan can help me...I'm loathe to take it back to the shop right now, no telling how long they'll keep it and I don't want to risk them damaging it further...

If my memory serves me correctly, we changed out a rattling cat at my shop years ago. Don't remember which side it was though. We could change out the bad cat and replace the toe links in an afternoon.

Bryan

I've got the ABS unit here and it looks brand new, put this in too and make Dan be un-nervous!! If you guys need help let me know..

RJ

RJ, I would probably do that myself at my place if I have to, I can do a bleed on it and get it up to Auto Works if I have air in the system, worse case scenario... as long as the brakes continue to work in the short term I want this rattle gone, it's embarrassing to drive, sounds like a 87 Dodge Caravan...

Yep Bry, that was the passenger side cat, I can still see the weld you did.

Will talk with you over the weekend and you can let me know what your August calendar looks like, though at this point even if you can't do it until Sept. I can surely wait. Just safer to leave it in the garage.

And T/Y for the help, I really don't know what I'd do w/o you and the rest of the guys here that make this car a lot easier to deal with...;)

Last edited:
Unexpected issue...

Got under the parts car and it has aftermarket Cats, completely different Y pipe setup with the Cats horizontal/ in line on the driver's side pipe to resonator. The cats are a little smaller in diameter so I suppose I can make it work somehow, the big difference is the oem driver's side cat comes right off the manifold/ down tube and this setup has a smooth bended pipe from the manifold to the cat...

Nothing is ever straightforward for me...

I am planning to see if I can take the whole Y pipe from both of the manifolds to the resonator as 1 piece and maybe Bryan & I can figure something out from there...just need a few hours to get that done....

Hey if all else fails just change the whole system all the back Dan, it's the same model of car, what ever Adam figured out there on that one should be a positive move for ya anyway..

Good luck, If you guys need my help let me know, I'm game..

RJ

...makes sense, I soaked the severely rusted bracket bolts at the manifold with WD 40 so hopefully the thing will come down in a couple days when I get time, otherwise i will be cutting out a section of pipe and cat...You are too kind sir, will give a shout if needed.

Back